Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Medical Form
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:14 pm 

So when I give the council the medical form, would they be required to give it back to you if you asked for it? or are they required to keep it, and would it be likely to be acceptable to use a DVLA group 2 medical form rather than the councils own version of it, only asking as my LA is probably going to ask me to have a medical at 55 in September, even though I had one 3 years ago and is supposed to last 5 years after the age of 45, our LA want you to do one at 45 50 55 60 65, so if you take one at 49 as a new applicant they would require you to take another at 50, where as DVLA would't require another until your 54.
I am going to email the council on these point, but just after other peoples opinion on it, this is mainly because I also hold a HGV licence which is due for renewal this year via a medical want to ask them if I can use the DVLA form for the taxi medical, then have it back to send to the DVLA, I know there are some others who are in this situation and some councils, Cambridge I know for 1 does not require a taxi driver to a medical if they hold a current HGV or PSV licence as they are already deemed medically fit to drive via the DVLA, which I think is a sensible policy along with a 5 year medical lasting 5 years not 3 or 1 year in the case of a driver here who took on at 49 and taxi licencing asking him to take another at 50, or are all councils the same?

Post subject: Re: Medical Form
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:42 pm 

No 2 councils are the same, if they were we would have a case for having 1 unified nationwide licencing authority and unified fees.

The variety and diversification of the regs is what keeps them IN authority and IN a job...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:22 pm 

Quote:
our LA want you to do one at 45 50 55 60 65

I would say that's quite common, if not universal.

I also think the council wont take any notice of your HGV medical, which again is quite common, if not universal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Every 3 years here until 65 regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Group 2 medicals are 5 yearly starting at 45 years of age and yearly on reaching 65 years of age,most Councils follow the group 2 rules on medicals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:46 pm 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Group 2 medicals are 5 yearly starting at 45 years of age and yearly on reaching 65 years of age,most Councils follow the group 2 rules on medicals.

We have argued this one but they wont budge.
They say it is because we carry passengers. Of course busses don't carry passengers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 am 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

And then after age 65 it's every year?

Rather odd then that the Government says we are all living longer and that is why they raised retirement age to 66 then to 67, if that were true then our medical age should be raised to reflect those changes.

I guess the Government have just lied, yes they want to pay us less pension for a shorter time but at the same time but they assume that our bodies will age as they always have done and that we are jiggered by 65.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

Rather odd then that the Government says we are all living longer and that is why they raised retirement age to 66 then to 67, if that were true then our medical age should be raised to reflect those changes.

I guess the Government have just lied, yes they want to pay us less pension for a shorter time but at the same time but they assume that our bodies will age as they always have done and that we are jiggered by 65.

More likely to be that it is a different department and they haven't spoken to each other yet. maybe you could give them a reminder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 pm 

grandad wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

More likely to be that it is a different department and they haven't spoken to each other yet. maybe you could give them a reminder.

Are they Likely to listen?....Nahh, thought not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:36 am 

I suppose I could just ask them to adopt the Cambridge policy regarding group 2 licence holders medicals, as there is no harm in asking, got 3 months to pester them over it.