Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:59 pm 

Well this is bizarre indeed.

But from the purely trade perspective I'd be more interested to know how the (original) victim came to rendered medically unfit after being seriously assaulted by the other driver in a dispute over a customer, rather than how the victim eventually turned vigilante.

Suspect it was a taxi rank dispute that got out of hand, but not entirely clear from this.

Taxi driver stalked and threatened rival in assault revenge

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... al-2949671

Ian McGuffie went from being a victim to an assailant after he was left unhappy at how the courts dealt with his attacker

A taxi driver stalked and repeatedly threatened to kill a rival cabbie as revenge after he was ferociously beaten himself.

Ian McGuffie embarked upon the terrifying campaign against Glen Ellis after he was left smarting that Mr Ellis was spared a custodial sentence for the crime.

McGuffie, 53, of Culver Road in Saltash appeared at Truro Crown Court after previously pleading guilty to two making threats to kill charges and stalking.

Prosecuting barrister Nigel Wraith told the court how McGuffie was attacked by fellow cabbie Mr Ellis in June 2017 after a dispute over a customer.

Mr Wraith said: “Mr McGuffie was extremely dissatisfied with the sentence and went through the complaints system but didn’t get the retrial he wanted.

“As a result of his dissatisfaction the defendant sent a number of menacing messages.”

For the attack Mr Ellis was given a community order coupled with a number of conditions.

Mr Wraith detailed how on a number of occasions between June 2018 and March 2019 McGuffie sent messages such as ‘I’m coming for you, you’re going to get the biggest surprise of your life’, ‘I can’t say when but you’re going to have the living daylights beaten out of you’ and ‘if they don’t take you back to court I’m going to kill you, you’re going to get what you deserve’.

Despite a warning from the police McGuffie continued his campaign and in January of this year sent Mr Ellis a What’s App message saying that he was going to burn him to death in his taxi. He also sent a film showing his driving past Mr Ellis’ address.

A victim impact statement read to the court heard how McGuffie’s behaviour caused a great deal of stress and anxiety. Mr Ellis was left unable to work and the worry exacerbated his wife’s health problems.

Defending McGuffie, Heather Hope said that what happened sent him into a spiral of clinical depression, exacerbated by post-traumatic stress relating to the incident.

Miss Hope said: “Mr McGuffie understood Mr Ellis was going to prison for a long time. There were multiple blows and a kick while he lay on the floor.

“He ended up being almost secondary to the proceedings and wasn’t told of when Mr Ellis was due to appear in court.

“Mr Ellis was prosecuted for ABH, got community service and kept his job as a taxi driver. Mr McGuffie lost his job as he was medically unfit to continue. He lost everything and felt anger and frustration that he wasn’t being listened to.

“He recognises his involvement with Mr Ellis is now over and knows that things have to stop.”

Sentencing McGuffie, Judge Simon Carr described the background of the case as “tragic”.

Judge Carr said: “In June 2017 you were the victim of a serious assault. I’ve seen the footage and understand it was a frightening and damaging event.

“The system at that stage worked, Mr Ellis was arrested, charged and appeared in front of a court. The magistrates passed a sentence they were allowed to pass. I understand your grievance that the sentence was non-custodial and that you felt ignored.

“What we don’t have is vigilante justice and if we did the legal system would collapse. Your reaction was to deem everyone was conspiring against you.

“When the legal appeal routes failed you sent a number of threatening and frightening messages. You were warned off by police but in no way did it deter you.

“This went on for months and you also sent footage of you driving past Mr Ellis’ address. He had a disabled wife and I doubt that crossed your mind for one minute.”

Judge Carr added that McGuffie was of previous good character and was ill at the time of the offending.

He said: “I understand your frustrations but in no way does this condone your behaviour.”

Judge Carr said that the best way to protect Ellis and society in general was to impose a suspended sentence.

McGuffie was given an 18 month prison sentence, suspended for two years. He must also complete a 10 day rehabilitation activity requirement and be subject of a one month 7pm to 7am curfew. A restraining order was also put in place preventing him from contacting Ellis.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:06 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grade 1 pillock even though the sentence was non custodial it would surely have been instant loss of badge. Instead he's effectively destroyed any career prospects he had

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm 

edders23 wrote:
grade 1 pillock even though the sentence was non custodial it would surely have been instant loss of badge. Instead he's effectively destroyed any career prospects he had

According to the report the driver who carried out the assault kept his badge. It looks like that (and the non-custodial sentence) was why the (original) victim tried to get his own back.

Quote:
Mr Ellis was prosecuted for ABH, got community service and kept his job as a taxi driver. Mr McGuffie lost his job as he was medically unfit to continue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 pm 

Quote:
“Mr Ellis was prosecuted for ABH, got community service and kept his job as a taxi driver.

Personally I struggle with that.

ABH is quite a serious offence and the fact the assault was on a person merely doing their job (ignoring any aggravating circumstances we don't know about), and the assault was in a public place in front of the public should normally lead to a prison sentence which could be suspended.

Nevertheless I'm surprised that individual is still deemed fit and proper.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:45 pm 

Quote:
McGuffie was given an 18 month prison sentence, suspended for two years. He must also complete a 10 day rehabilitation activity requirement and be subject of a one month 7pm to 7am curfew. A restraining order was also put in place preventing him from contacting Ellis.

The judge got this spot on.

Stalking is now viewed as a very serious offence, quite rightly IMO.