Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:50 pm 

:-s

53 years in the trade is quite impressive though (although not sure if that's in a good or bad way), and certainly more newsworthy than the recent 'longest-serving' driver in Wakefield, who was retiring after 27 years.

Falmouth taxi cab driver retires after 53 years in the industry

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/1 ... -industry/

Falmouth's longest-serving taxi driver hung up his keys for the last time today (Thursday June 6) after 53 years of ferrying passengers in the town.

At the age of 77, Ivor Mock is looking forward to the peace and quiet of retirement after working behind the wheel for most of his life.

He said: "I'm just looking forward to being able to have a drink without worrying about driving and things like that, and sitting in the garden having a nice glass of wine if the weather's nice."

In his long career as a driver, Ivor saw many changes in both the town and in his line of work as certain attitudes became less relaxed.

He said: "There isn't the fun in the job that we used to have. In the old days I used to go to the police station in my break and have a couple of beers. The police would ask 'where's the party?'"

He remembers the days before taximeters, when a ride from Falmouth to Penryn would set the passenger back three shillings and sixpence, and the journey between Old Hill and Prince of Wales Pier a mere two shillings and sixpence.

Speaking of new technology taking over the trade such as sat navs and card payments, Ivor said: "I find that a bit difficult because of my age but it's got to be a good thing. More people are paying by card and contactless, but I haven't got it and I don't want it."

But he is positive that ride-sharing companies such as Uber, driving traditional taxis out of business elsewhere in the country, will not have an impact on Cornwall as "there isn't enough work for them down here".

The veteran cabbie looks back fondly on the days when he knew the area like the back of his hand, when it was compact enough not to have to rely on satellite navigation.

He said: "The town hasn't changed, just all the houses have gone farther out. When I started I knew every road in Falmouth, Penryn, Flushing Mylor. Now I don't because there's so many housing estates."

Despite traffic getting worse and housing estates springing up, Ivor's favourite part of the job has not changed too much over the years.

He said: "You're meeting people all the time, you never know who you're going to pick up, you never know where you're going. That's one of the beauties of the job; it's like a lucky dip. Whoever gets in – sometimes they're a regular customer, sometimes you have no idea where you're going until they get in and tell you."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:29 pm 

Quote:
At the age of 77, Ivor Mock is looking forward to the peace and quiet of retirement after working behind the wheel for most of his life.

I wish the fella well.

That said I'm never retiring. I might not do so many hours when I get to my 60s or 70s, but retiring, no way.

That said part two, I've been non stop this week and I'm absolutely knackered. Defo a sign of old age. :shock: :shock: :shock: