Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 pm 

Taxi drivers fined after illegally picking up police officers because of 'greed'

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/loc ... ly-2968690

Private hire drivers have to be booked - they can't pick people up from the streets

Private hire drivers were fined for breaking taxi rules after a judge told one: "This was for a quick gain and ultimately greed."

Both picked up plain clothes police officers and drove without insurance cover because of the hackney carriage rules, Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard.

Private hire drivers have to be booked - they can't pick people up from the streets.

Mustafa Nasserie was seen by a police officer at the reception area of the Queen's Medical Centre on February 22, said Ben Payne, prosecuting.

"He asked if he would take him into the city. The defendant asked him where he wanted to go and he said the Trinity Square area. The defendant agreed and both officers got in," said Mr Payne.

Uniformed officers were alerted and they stopped Nasserie, 29, of Springhead Court, Bulwell. He admitted plying for hire without being licensed as a hackney carriage and having no insurance.

He was fined £650 with £85 prosecution costs and a £45 government surcharge.

District Judge Leo Pyle told him: "You drove your Toyota straight through the licensing laws which are aimed at ensuring all persons are fit and proper, vehicles are safe and ultimately the public are safe.

"The only thing I am able to conclude is that this was for a quick gain and ultimately greed."

Nasserie told the court: "I can't say anything."

Later identical charges were admitted by Gurnam Taak, 43, of Highbury Close, Nuthall. He was fined £480 with £85 prosecution costs and a £38 surcharge.

The pair each had eight penalty points put on their licences. The judge ordered them to report their court appearances to the councils which issued their private hire licences.

In Taak's case, the court heard that he was seen on Friar Lane on the same night. When asked if he was free, he told the police officer that he was waiting for someone. But a few minutes later, Taak told the officer "I can take you," added Mr Payne.

Taak said: "At the time, I was very confused because I had some family issues."

The officer left after the first conversation but then stood in front of the car.

"I felt really intimidated when he came back to me," Taak added.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm 

Quote:
Mustafa Nasserie was seen by a police officer at the reception area of the Queen's Medical Centre on February 22, said Ben Payne, prosecuting.

"He asked if he would take him into the city. The defendant asked him where he wanted to go and he said the Trinity Square area. The defendant agreed and both officers got in," said Mr Payne.

Presumably some sort of 'sting' operation, but seems an unusual location for that kind of thing.

District judge wrote:
"You drove your Toyota straight through the licensing laws which are aimed at ensuring all persons are fit and proper, vehicles are safe and ultimately the public are safe."

That must be the trade equivalent of driving a coach and horses through some law or other :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm 

Quote:
The judge ordered them to report their court appearances to the councils which issued their private hire licences.

Be interested to see the powers that allow a DJ to order that. :-k

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:15 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
The judge ordered them to report their court appearances to the councils which issued their private hire licences.

Be interested to see the powers that allow a DJ to order that. :-k

Wondered about that.

But presumably it was more just a remark by the DJ rather than any formal power, and the word 'ordered' just a term used by the journalist that has no legal relevance.

And presumably the LA would have been aware of the sting anyway, so DJ's remarks presumably otiose, to use a legal word that isn't used very often 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Both picked up plain clothes police officers and drove without insurance cover because of the hackney carriage rules, Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !