Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm 

Taxi driver claims hundreds hit with parking fines after changes at East Midlands Airport

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/l ... ge-2966600

She says she no longer feels comfortable making journeys there

A taxi driver claims that up to 250 people were hit with parking fines in the four days after East Midlands Airport made changes to its rapid drop-off point.

Earlier this month, the airport changed the fees for its drop-off point from 10 minutes for £2 to five minutes for £2.

Drivers are now charged an extra pound for every minute they spend there once the initial five minutes has passed.

Full-time taxi driver Sue Locke, of Ilkeston, says she no longer feels comfortable making journeys to the Castle Donington airport as she fears she will be left out of pocket.

The 42-year-old claims the driver of an ANPR van parked up at the airport told drivers that they had handed out 250 fines in just four days.

Another taxi driver, who did not wish to be named, said double red lines have been painted around the airport grounds to stop drivers taking passengers to places other than the dedicated drop-off point.

He said that those who have stopped on the red lines have landed fines of up to £100. The airport says that the red lines are an important safety measure.

Now cabbies fear they will end up in debt as a result of the changes at the airport.

Ms Locke said: "We were sat at a pick up point waiting for passengers to come through when one of our drivers was talking to the ANPR van driver.

"The van driver said in the first four days 150 to 250 people received fines. One of my colleagues had to pay £16 to get out, we only get £22.50 for the job.

"It's not worth our while going to East Midlands Airport.

"We do not know whether you are going to walk away with debt. None of us want to do this any more.

"The ANPR camera which records your registration on entering is about 300m before the drop-off area starts and there are two zebra crossings between the start and the drop-off point.

"Obviously the pedestrians on those crossings don't care that you are under a time limit.

"I had to pay £9 because of the congestion in the drop-off area and the inadequate barrier facilities.

"They are just seeing an opportunity to make more money from their passengers."

A spokesman for East Midlands Airport said they were aware some drivers have been unable to leave the grounds within the five-minute limit.

The airport said they were addressing these issues as an "immediate priority".

A spokesman for East Midlands Airport said: "The recent changes to rapid drop off (RDO) waiting times at East Midlands Airport are part of a package of measures to improve traffic flow across the airport site making it safer for all visitors.

"The vast majority of our passengers are in and out of rapid drop off within 5 mins. For those who do want to stay longer, we offer one-hour free parking.

"Disabled passengers can use our 30 min free parking with a Blue Badge – and this applies to taxis – in short stay one which is our closest car park to the terminals.

"By closely monitoring the situation since the changes were introduced we are aware that, at peak times, some users of the RDO have been unable to leave within the five minutes.

"Regrettably, this had led to some people incurring excess charges due to exceeding the five minutes, despite having dropped their passengers off well within that time. We are addressing these operational issues as an immediate priority.

"For the safety of all our visitors, parking on the approach roads to the airport is strictly prohibited. Picking up or dropping off passengers in these areas is dangerous and should drivers do so, they are likely to incur a parking charge notice (PCN) of £100."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm 

I dropped there this morning at 5am,I crawled to drop off using my stop watch,it took me 6.30 minutes.when I did drop off I noticed stewards at the barriers with the barriers up manually taking the £2 fee.in retrospect I wish I'd refused to give the fee as the barriers were up.surely the fee is for the barrier not the steward.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Another taxi driver, who did not wish to be named, said double red lines have been painted around the airport grounds to stop drivers taking passengers to places other than the dedicated drop-off point.

He said that those who have stopped on the red lines have landed fines of up to £100. The airport says that the red lines are an important safety measure.

BHX do the same they have an anpr camera van patrolling the red lines

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:17 pm 

rayggb wrote:
I dropped there this morning at 5am,I crawled to drop off using my stop watch,it took me 6.30 minutes.when I did drop off I noticed stewards at the barriers with the barriers up manually taking the £2 fee.in retrospect I wish I'd refused to give the fee as the barriers were up.surely the fee is for the barrier not the steward.

this is the problem the facilities are inadequate to enable you to get in and out in under 5 mins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 pm 

edders23 wrote:
rayggb wrote:

this is the problem the facilities are inadequate to enable you to get in and out in under 5 mins

To drivers that's a problem, to the greedy Barstewards who steal your cash that's a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
edders23 wrote:
rayggb wrote:
I dropped there this morning at 5am,I crawled to drop off using my stop watch,it took me 6.30 minutes.when I did drop off I noticed stewards at the barriers with the barriers up manually taking the £2 fee. in retrospect I wish I'd refused to give the fee as the barriers were up.surely the fee is for the barrier not the steward.

To drivers that's a problem, to the greedy Barstewards who steal your cash that's a bonus.

In view of what Ray said, don't you mean barrier-steward? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:46 pm 

StuartW wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
edders23 wrote:
rayggb wrote:
I dropped there this morning at 5am,I crawled to drop off using my stop watch,it took me 6.30 minutes.when I did drop off I noticed stewards at the barriers with the barriers up manually taking the £2 fee. in retrospect I wish I'd refused to give the fee as the barriers were up.surely the fee is for the barrier not the steward.

In view of what Ray said, don't you mean barrier-steward? :D

Some of those letters are right. :-k

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 pm 

East Midlands Airport scraps changes to rapid drop-off parking fees after heavy criticism

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/loc ... es-2976839

East Midlands Airport bosses stressed the changes were brought in "with the best intention" to improve traffic flow

East Midlands Airport has scrapped changes to its rapid drop-off parking charges after drawing heavy criticism from drivers.

On May 20, the airport changed the fee for dropping off from 10 minutes for £2 to five minutes for £2.

Drivers were then charged an additional £1 per minute after the five minutes had passed.

During busy periods, this left drivers facing rising fees as they queued to leave.

Nottinghamshire Live reported that taxi driver Tony Parkinson, 44, of Biborough, felt he "couldn't do his job properly" after the change was made to the tariff.

And full-time taxi driver Sue Locke, of Ilkeston, said she no longer felt comfortable making journeys to the Castle Donington airport as she feared she would be left out of pocket.

East Midlands Airport bosses stressed the changes to the tariff were brought in "with the best intention" to improve traffic flow.

But it has now reverted to its original rapid drop-off charge of 10 minutes for £2 until further notice.

Andy Tyler-Smith, East Midlands Airport’s customer services and security director, said: “Recent changes to waiting times in rapid drop-off (RDO) were implemented with the best intention to improve traffic flow throughout the airport to make it easier and quicker for more passengers to get from their cars and taxis to the departure gates.

“The vast majority of our passengers are in and out of rapid drop-off within five minutes and therefore were paying no more than they did before the waiting times were reduced from 10 minutes for £2 to five minutes for £2.

“Having closely monitored the situation since the changes were introduced we are aware that, at peak times, some users of the RDO have been unable to leave within five minutes due to traffic congestion.

"Regrettably, this had led to drivers incurring excess charges due to exceeding the five minutes. Consequently, we have taken the decision to revert to the original waiting time of 10 minutes for £2 until further notice.

“For drivers dropping off or collecting passengers who wish to wait longer, there are a number of options available on-site.

"We offer 30 minutes in Short Stay 1 for £4 and one hour free parking in Long Stay 2 car park. Disabled passengers can park for 30 minutes free of charge with a Blue Badge – and this applies to taxis – in Short Stay 1, which is our closest car park to the terminals.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 pm 

Quote:
East Midlands Airport bosses stressed the changes were brought in "with the best intention" to improve traffic flow

And the moon is made out of cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 pm 

Yes I noticed they had reverted back this afternoon.some dip stick in an office as usual no doubt!. I wonder if he/she came straight from university?!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 am 

rayggb wrote:
I wonder if he/she came straight from university?!

Probably left uni after year 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:23 am 

I suspect this was a decision made quite high up but without doing the research

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I suspect this was a decision made quite high up but without doing the research

I also suspect if this just affected the taxi/PH trade then nothing would have changed.

But as it also affected the general public it was.