Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: stress
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:13 pm 

craziest week ive ever known

Licensing policy....no car over 7yrs old will be plated, your carplate ends 31st august, the car is 7 years old a month later, you may plate it till its 7 (a month) for the full £177.

me :- "policy includes exceptional condition may extend the age limit"

them:- "no, 7 is maximum age"

24hrs later "thank you for your email about age exemption, this would require a vehicle immaculate report from a independent engineer and admin fees"

Me:- "so we can plate beyond 7 years old?"......(yes)

Next day...Me....."after asking 10 garages we cant find anyone to give a report"

Them...."er...OK, we will look it over"

Me - "how much will all this and the admin fees cost"?

Them "we have no approved fees in the schedule of charges so we cant charge yo"

"In the past exceptional condition has been confused (?) and cars have been passed which shouldnt have been on the road"

Post subject: Re: stress
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:14 pm 

iT WOULD WANNA HAS GIVEN THIS COUNCIL A BIT OF A KICKING ......................... =D> =D> =D>

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:39 pm 

Quote:
If you believe the vehicle is of exceptional condition, you must provide along with the application form a report from an independent automobile engineer, indicating the vehicle is in immaculate condition. This report will be available from any reputable garage. Upon receipt of the application, one of the licensing officers will inspect the vehicle and make an assessment. Should the vehicle meet the exception condition standards, the renewal would be granted for 1 year, subject to the vehicle undertaking a 6 monthly compliance check.

Quote:
Licence applications for vehicles in “exceptional condition” which are outside of the Council’s policy, for example by age and type of vehicle, will be subject to additional checks relevant to the type of vehicle. Applicants must provide an independent automobile engineer’s report for vehicles outside of the Council’s age restrictions to indicate that the vehicle is in immaculate condition. This report is in addition to the Council’s mechanical inspection. An additional fee will be charged for vehicles outside of the Council’s policies to cover additional administration (See Schedule of Fees).

Quote:
Fee’s are being looked at currently and will be subject to further consultation, therefore we have to base our fees on the current approved schedule. No fee at present will be charged to cover additional administration.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:39 pm 

Glad im just a pig thick taxi driver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 pm 

Quote:
This report is in addition to the Council’s mechanical inspection. An additional fee will be charged for vehicles outside of the Council’s policies to cover additional administration. (There is no indication of what such charges are likely to be)
Would the council like to inform us as to who is the “independent automobile engineer” and what admin fees will be levied on such application?, what is an “automobile engineer” if not an MOT test station, or will LDC move testing to the VOSA test station located in the town?
Alternatively will a RAC or AA engineers report be accepted?
The existing requirements require an “exceptional condition” examination and 2 extra tests per year at circa £85 per test, will this change?

Quote:
It is essential that older vehicles meet all safety requirements and are of the required standard for a taxi or private hire vehicle.
The revised fees will be published and the trade will have an opportunity to respond

This is the council’s appointed testing station.
The revised fees will be published and the trade will have an opportunity to respond

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:47 pm 

So what is the situation now?

Have they licensed you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm 

Our HC’s can’t be over 15yrs old and PH 10 yrs old. But, if you’re up for plating before the vehicle reaches that date (even if it’s a day before) you will be plated for the full 12months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:50 pm 

Sussex wrote:
So what is the situation now?

Have they licensed you?

Well, the car is 7 2 weeks after the current plate expires, they kept banging on about an examination and having it declared "immaculate" but are slowly backing down.

Now it seems the vehicle will get a walkround by a member of staff, then the forms can go in...following plating there will be a compliance check at 6 months (that isnt in the policy but ill take it over 2 extra plates/year at £85 each..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 pm 

There's been a number of threads on here over the years regarding the age limits.

I had an issue with Shepway a few years back, maybe 2012 and appealed to magistrates court. The council withdrew and let me continue with my immaculate 55 reg Chrysler Voyager for another 4 years until the cam belt failed.

I understand there's been cases heard at much higher levels that make it reliant on the condition of the vehicle, not just a statutory age limit. If they refuse to issue a licence, appeal in the magistrates court.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm 

We couldnt have any recourse if the regs/new policy had said simply "max 5 years 1st plate, max 7 years then no plate"

but they left in the clause

Quote:
5. The following upper age limits apply:

No vehicle licence will be renewed on any vehicle that is of seven years of age or more or ten years old for purpose built vehicles.

6. All new or replacement vehicles to have M1 whole type approval except in exceptional circumstances. Those vehicles without M1 whole type approval will be considered individually.

7. Licence applications for vehicles in “exceptional condition” which are outside of the Council’s policy, for example by age and type of vehicle, will be subject to additional checks relevant to the type of vehicle. Applicants must provide an independent automobile engineer’s report for vehicles outside of the Council’s age restrictions to indicate that the vehicle is in immaculate condition. This report is in addition to the

Council’s mechanical inspection. An additional fee will be charged for vehicles outside of the Council’s policies to cover additional administration (See Schedule of
Fees).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 pm 

We have 3 plate types..

Hackney
Private Hire
Special Events

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:22 pm 

I noticed an arrow ph from EMA with an executive license plate (whats that?),it was a scruffy Toyota estate .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:03 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
We have 3 plate types..

Hackney
Private Hire
Special Events

plus 1 i hadnt seen before (only on the charges/fees list tho)

"limousine"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:09 am 

roythebus wrote:
There's been a number of threads on here over the years regarding the age limits.

I had an issue with Shepway a few years back, maybe 2012 and appealed to magistrates court. The council withdrew and let me continue with my immaculate 55 reg Chrysler Voyager for another 4 years until the cam belt failed.

I understand there's been cases heard at much higher levels that make it reliant on the condition of the vehicle, not just a statutory age limit. If they refuse to issue a licence, appeal in the magistrates court.

They all use the Hyndburn case - but I have won cases on age because the council screwed up in
their
Application of the condition........ so each case has to be examined on its merits rather than the
simple fact alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
We have 3 plate types..

Hackney
Private Hire
Special Events

plus 1 i hadnt seen before (only on the charges/fees list tho)

"limousine"

There is only 2 types of licence TAXI or private hire thus there is only 2 different plates a council can issue,