Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:45 am 

If a car owner was told his car was too old to replate in April under the new regsand he COULDNT plate it, then found out the council advice was wrong and he COULD have applied for "exceptional condition" age exemption, would he have a case to take the council to task given he has had to spend £12,000 buying another car?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:53 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
If a car owner was told his car was too old to replate in April under the new regsand he COULDNT plate it, then found out the council advice was wrong and he COULD have applied for "exceptional condition" age exemption, would he have a case to take the council to task given he has had to spend £12,000 buying another car?

In all probability yes,but you would need the advice you were given in writing to even have any chance of success.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:32 pm 

heathcote wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

In all probability yes,but you would need the advice you were given in writing to even have any chance of success.

He was told by letter, but of course his old car is gone so cant be inspected

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:18 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

I would advise against going to court for anything, the above included.

I would instead go to the Local Government Ombudsman, who could, if they agreed with you, award you compensation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:42 am 

The killer is that our 62 plate cars plate expires end of August and licensing have agreed we can replate it... making the case clear, but I dont trust licensing not to try a swerve, they are already looking at fees/charges but any new regs would require 30 days consultation...Regulatory committee meetings are all pre-planned but theyve nothing i can see before September

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm 

Sheffield plates a single 20 year old fairway even though the age limit is 15 years,not sure how he gets away with it but,then I've never asked.