Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:52 pm 

Cab written off after crash 'sparked by massive gang of kids on bikes'

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/l ... d-16525636

Tamworth driver said the incident had left more shaken than anything else in his career

Image: Birmingham Mail

A cabbie said his taxi was written off in a crash caused by a gang of children who rode straight into a road.

David Poole's black cab was hit by a car behind him after he was forced to slam on the brakes to avoid them.

He said both vehicles were written off in the collision, which happened in Albert Road, Tamworth, last Saturday afternoon, June 29.

Bus bosses said they were also aware of problems being caused by youngsters on bikes, while police were taking the road safety message into schools in the town.

Mr Poole, aged 74, of Forge Taxis, said: “I was only going about ten miles an hour, when suddenly around 16 kids on pushbikes rode straight across the road.

"I had to slam on my brakes and the car behind me rammed into me.

“The kids then rode down Marmion Street and a double decker bus had to slam its brakes on as they went straight across in front of him too.

“It’s ridiculous, so dangerous, I’ve seen this group of kids all round the town – it’s about time they grew up; someone could have been killed!

“I’ve been a cab driver in Tamworth for 30-odd years and I’ve never been so shaken as I was after this.

“My cab was a write-off and so was the car which ran into the back of me.

“It’s about time their parents had a word with them about how dangerous this is.”

Tamworth’s bus drivers said they were also aware of an ongoing issue with groups of youths on bikes.

Simon Mathieson, area managing director of Arriva, said: “Our priority is to ensure those travelling with Arriva get to their final destination safely.

"Each of our drivers is highly-trained to ensure they enact their duties in the safest possible manner, ensuring they always have the best interests of our customers and other road users at heart.

“The manoeuvrability and weight of our buses can make it more difficult to react as swiftly in the event of a potential incident, and whilst the driving team remain diligent when out in service, the actions of other road users can have a huge bearing on our ability to maintain everyone’s wellbeing.

“We strongly urge all those travelling around our buses, especially those on bikes which can nip quickly in an out of spaces in traffic, to act carefully and responsibly in order to better protect both themselves and the lives of others.”

Police Community Support Officers will be visiting secondary schools to speak to pupils about road safety.

A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said: “Officers from the Tamworth Neighbourhood Policing Team are aware of this issue and are working with schools to educate young people on road and bicycle safety.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:18 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
10MPH and both vehicles are write offs :shock: either somebody is telling porkies or the damage is exagerated

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 am 

edders23 wrote:
10MPH and both vehicles are write offs :shock: either somebody is telling porkies or the damage is exagerated

Doesn't say how fast the other vehicle was going though :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:35 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
isn't wanna Tamworth area ? he seems to be very quiet :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:28 pm 

Quote:
it’s about time they grew up; someone could have been killed!

It will only stop when one is killed or seriously injured. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: