Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm 

:shock:

There's a video on the website, but from what I could see it doesn't show much more than the photo below.

(Yes, I know there should be an apostrophe in "citizen's", but I ran out of characters, and that seemed the most obvious one to leave out [-( )

Watch hero make citizen's arrest to stop man wielding meat cleaver

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/d ... et-3067187

He intervened when he saw a fight breaking out

A Derby hero performed a citizen's arrest to stop a man who was wielding a meat cleaver in a Derby street.

Usman Najeeb says he intervened when he saw the man threatening a taxi driver with the cleaver and a kitchen knife.

Mr Najeeb rugby tackled the assailant and then sat on him while he waited for the police to arrive on Sunday afternoon (July 7).

The father-of-one, who works for a care hire company, said he was in his garden in Madeley Street, Normanton, when he heart the fight erupting in the street.

He said: "I could hear a lot of commotion and shouting.

"I saw two men on the verge of having a fight. One of them was holding a meat cleaver and a kitchen knife - I think it was a dispute involving the taxi fare.

Image: Derby Telegraph

"The guy with the meat cleaver was absolutely livid. He looked completely insane."

The fight was witnessed by a crowd of people and Mr Najeeb said his main concern was the number of children who were nearby in the street.

Witness Amraez Ashraf, who works at a solicitor's office, said he had to lock his daughter inside his car for her own safety while the fight took place. He said the man smashed a light on the back of his car during the mêlée.

He said: "It was inches away from where my daughter was sat.

"The whole scene was horrible. There may be some crime in the area but in our street it's very close-knit.

"I don't know who this guy is or where he came from but we don't want this type of person in our community."

Mr Najeeb and his son (Image: Derby Telegraph)

Mr Najeeb, 29, said he was "biding his time and waiting for the right moment" before he launched his citizen's arrest on the attacker.

He said: "I wasn't sure what other weapons he could have on him. I found the right opportunity and I rugby tackled him - he was a big lad.

"I held him down on the floor and wrapped my leg around him."

Mr Najeeb said while he was sat on top of the man he started trying to talk him into letting him go.

He said: "He was trying to rationalise with me.

"I said: 'I was trying to talk to you before but you weren't listening to me'."

Mr Najeeb and Mr Ashraf, 35, both said it seemed to take a long time before police arrived. However, a Derbyshire police spokesman said the first call about the incident was received at 5.27pm and an arrest was made at 5.38pm.

He added: "We understand people may have been alarmed by the incident but we would like to reassure members of the public that we believe it to be an isolated one.

“Anyone who has concerns and wants to talk to an officer will see the safer neighbourhood team on patrol in the area, and we would encourage people to come up and talk to us.

“Similarly we would also like to speak to any witnesses to the incident who have not yet come forward.”

The force spokesman confirmed that a man was arrested and remains in police custody for questioning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 pm 

Well done to the fella for intervening and helping out the cabby.

As for the idiot with the clever, I suspect he will do time for having that in a public place, especially if threats were being made.