Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:41 pm 

Can anyone point me to the part of the act that states LA's should offer 1 year badges if requested?

all i can find is...

Quote:
(1)The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 is amended as follows.

(2)In section 53 (drivers’ licences for hackney carriages and private hire vehicles)—

(a)in subsection (1)(a), for “for such lesser period as the district council may specify in such licence” substitute “for such lesser period, specified in the licence, as the district council think appropriate in the circumstances of the case”;

(b)in subsection (1)(b), for “for such lesser period as they may specify in such licence” substitute “for such lesser period, specified in the licence, as the district council think appropriate in the circumstances of the case”.

(3)In section 55 (licensing of operators of private hire vehicles), for subsection (2) substitute—

“(2)Every licence granted under this section shall remain in force for five years or for such lesser period, specified in the licence, as the district council think appropriate in the circumstances of the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:18 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Can anyone point me to the part of the act that states LA's should offer 1 year badges if requested?

all i can find is...

Quote:
(1)The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 is amended as follows.

(2)In section 53 (drivers’ licences for hackney carriages and private hire vehicles)—

(a)in subsection (1)(a), for “for such lesser period as the district council may specify in such licence” substitute “for such lesser period, specified in the licence, as the district council think appropriate in the circumstances of the case”;

(b)in subsection (1)(b), for “for such lesser period as they may specify in such licence” substitute “for such lesser period, specified in the licence, as the district council think appropriate in the circumstances of the case”.

If you ask for a 1yr.2yr or 3yr. license the Council consider the circumstance of that request and issue the license as requested.

If a person with a dodgy history applies or renews his badge the Council have the right to issue a license for any period of time they consider relevant (could be weeks,months or any period upto 3 years) until the person proves he has mended his ways

(3)In section 55 (licensing of operators of private hire vehicles), for subsection (2) substitute—

“(2)Every licence granted under this section shall remain in force for five years or for such lesser period, specified in the licence, as the district council think appropriate in the circumstances of the case.

The same applies in this case the answer is the same as above.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 pm 

Quote:

It doesn't say should, it says can.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:09 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't say should, it says can.

lost cause then but..........

ref the PH ops licence

they want a 5 year licence and there is no agreed 5 year charge on the approved list of charges, just the 1 year (for now)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 am 

can a LA issue plates for less than a year?

we have a car due for renewal of plate end of august, 6 weeks later it turns 7 years old (the claimed maximum) so they wanted £177 for a 6 week plate...

BEFORE the new 7 year rule started in April some rushed renewals through to get a 1 year plate...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:53 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:

All of our limos were only licensed for 6 months at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 am 

[quote="wannabeeahack"]can a LA issue plates for less than a year?

Yes,Act of Parliament states so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 pm 

Quote:

Yes, just can't license for more than a year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:59 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

some so, i read of a 3 year plate with annual testing...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:04 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

some so, i read of a 3 year plate with annual testing...

That's what we've got in Fife, so maybe it's one under the Scottish legislation?

Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 wrote:
Subject to the provisions of this paragraph, a licence shall have effect—

(a) for a period of three years from the date when it comes into force; or

(b) for such shorter period as the licensing authority may decide at the time when they grant or renew the licence.

So three years is the default (for any licence) but Fife has always offered a one year option under (b), while as I recall it in Glasgow the standard duration is three years, and there's no one year option on renewals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:00 pm 

Well, ive shot one at em...

Quote:
Good day,
I have had the renewal forms for my Private Hire Operators licence due end of July.

The forms are for only a 5 year option requesting payment of £264 per vehicle.

I appreciate the Deregulation act was adopted in the new licensing policy and that changed the operating licence (and badges) to longer terms (3 years for badges) but could I say that, as far as I am aware, a licensing department may ONLY charge fees laid out in the authorised (and passed by committee) list of licensing charges, I can only see a 1 year option on the list of charges dated August 2018 unless a new list has been passed by the Regulatory committee since?

The Deregulation act does also state a 1 year option for both badges and these licences should be considered by the Licensing department.

As Im sure you will appreciate having an expected £65 bill leap to £264 does require me to ask the qeustion especially as no notice of any fee increase was notified to myself (nor any other Private hire operator I have spoken to)

Many thanks

I expect a hitman will pop up in a council van

TAKE COVER!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 pm 

well, 48 hours and no reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:01 pm 

another day passes...no reply

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm 

I had my reply............they dont know :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

BUT, heres another reply to another driver

what they omit is that any request for a 1 year badge/ops licence is acceptable as required..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:39 pm 

Section 10: Taxis and private hire vehicles: duration of licences
54.This section amends two sections of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 that deal with the granting of licences to drive taxis and private hire vehicles and licences to operate private hire vehicles.

55.Subsection (2) changes the law in such a way as to establish a standard duration of three years for taxi and private hire vehicle driver licences. The section specifies that a licence may be granted for a period of less than three years but only in the circumstances of an individual case, not because of a blanket policy.

56.Subsection (3) changes the law in such a way as to establish a standard duration of five years for a private hire vehicle operator licence. The section specifies that a licence may be granted for a period of less than five years but only in the circumstances of an individual case, not because of a blanket policy.

57.The section forms part of the law of England and Wales. It applies in England and Wales except in London or Plymouth where different legislation applies.

58.The section comes into force on a day to be appointed by the Secretary of State in a commencement order.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... ision/5/10