Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 pm 

Taxi driver who threw cigarette packet out of window fined for littering

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... te-3075888

He was traced after being spotted by a member of the public

A taxi driver who was spotted hurling a cigarette packet out of his window was tracked and prosecuted by a Devon council.

An angry member of the public saw the driver littering and reported it to North Devon Council.

Following the report, the driver was traced and the council issued a littering from vehicle fine of a £100.

The council issued a statement on the incident but would not name the driver or taxi firm involved.

Environmental Protection officers were able to take action following the introduction of new legislation giving local authorities the opportunity to send a fixed penalty notice through the post to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Environmental Protection Officer at North Devon Council, Alan Kyle, said: “Thanks to a concerned member of the public we were able to trace and prosecute this offender for littering from a vehicle.

"The new legislation is designed to assist investigating officers and to make vehicle drivers more responsible for what happens inside their vehicles.

“Throwing litter from a vehicle around the district will not be tolerated and fines will be issued. Litter is unsightly and detrimental to the local environment.

"In addition, any public carrying vehicles found committing offences will also have the incident reported to the relevant licencing authority.”

Leader of North Devon Council, Councillor David Worden, says: “The council is proud of its work to crack down on littering, fly tipping and environmental offences that have a negative effect on our district.

"It’s encouraging that local residents are right behind us with this, getting involved and bringing these incidents to our attention.

"Together we can keep our district clean and tidy for all to everyone to enjoy.”

To report littering, fly-tipping or other environmental offences in North Devon contact customerservices@northdevon.gov.uk or visit the council's website here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 pm 

So you can be prosecuted on hearsay evidence from a member of the public? :?
There's a few people I don't like, maybe I'll just keep reporting them for littering :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm 

sasha wrote:
There's a few people I don't like, maybe I'll just keep reporting them for littering :badgrin:

I suspect they contacted him and he admitted it.

Else it would struggle getting to court.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:48 am 

sasha wrote:

It doesn't say in the article, but I was assuming there was other supporting evidence - remember the Bradford minibus driver a few weeks ago who was done for a *passenger* dropping a fag end, and CCTV evidence was used?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34138

Or, as Sussex says, maybe he just fessed up when the council confronted him :shock: