Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:57 pm 

8-[

Grieving woman blasts Hull taxi firm for refusing to take pit bull terrier in car

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu ... ll-3113300

Willow's owner says the pit bull suffered 'discrimination'

Image: Michelle Scott/Hull Daily Mail

A dog owner has blasted a Hull taxi company who refused to take her pit bull on a trip to visit her mum's grave.

Michelle Scott wanted to take eight-year-old Willow to Chanterlands Avenue Cemetery as the first anniversary of her mum's death approached but was left angry and shocked when the firm refused her fare.

She says her mum loved the "soft as anything" pit bull terrier but claims Willow has now been the target of "discrimination" due to her breed.

Image: Michelle Scott/Hull Daily Mail

Pit bulls are one of four dogs banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act, however they are allowed if their owner has a special certificate to prove they do not pose a risk.

Ms Scott says she has all the necessary paperwork to vouch for Willow and describes her as "so special".

She claims the firm said "there was no way they would take a dog like that" and was left upset by how she and her canine counterpart were treated.

"I couldn't believe it. I was so upset that someone would say it," she said.

"It's like saying they wouldn't let someone in the car because of the colour of their skin or their sexuality. It's the same level.

"I couldn't believe someone can have an attitude like that. It was shocking.

"It's because of her breed. She has never had any issues. She's getting older. She's lovely. She's as soft as anything.

"She is registered with DEFRA. They said they'd never take a dog like that and to ring another taxi company.

"I couldn't believe it. It's like discrimination against a dog."

Willow with her guinea pig pal Blossom (Image: Peter Harbour/Hull Daily Mail)

Ms Scott volunteers at an animal rescue charity in Hull and has been left appalled by the treatment she has received.

She has looked after Willow for the entirety of her life and even went through the courts to prove the pit bull was safe to be part of a family home - so safe she is happy with him being allowed to play out with her six guinea pigs, two budgies and other dog.

Michelle says all she wanted was to take her to see her mum in the cemetery so the pair who loved each other could be reunited.

"I was saying 'are we going to see grandma' and she gets all happy," Ms Scott said.

"Tomorrow is a year since my mum passed away. It's a big thing for me. My mum was such a massive support to me and always helped me.

"My mum loved dogs. It was the first time I wanted to take her because I know my mum loved her."

Willow also helped Michelle through her own mental health battle and classes her as a special part of her life.

"She is so close to me. If I am upset she will come up to me. She is so protective of me," she said.

"She's helped me so much in my dark times with my mental health. She is part of the reason why I keep going."

Image: Peter Harbour/Hull Daily Mail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:58 pm 

Quote:
"It's like saying they wouldn't let someone in the car because of the colour of their skin or their sexuality. It's the same level"

:-s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:08 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
no it isn't animals are not people they don't wear shoes and clothes and so can get your seats filthy if they jump all over them

However she has a bit of a point because it is a form of discrimination on religious grounds

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 am 

edders23 wrote:
no it isn't animals are not people they don't wear shoes and clothes and so can get your seats filthy if they jump all over them

However she has a bit of a point because it is a form of discrimination on religious grounds

Dogs carried at the drivers discretion......

A non story story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:56 pm 

Quote:
A dog owner has blasted a Hull taxi company who refused to take her pit bull on a trip to visit her mum's grave.

Blast away.

Nothing would make me take that thing in my car, no f***ing way. [-X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 pm 

Quote:

You been drinking?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:49 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

You been drinking?

I'm tee total thank you and carry dogs in my car; only ever had a slight problem twice in 30 years

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm 

Quote:
I'm tee total thank you and carry dogs in my car; only ever had a slight problem twice in 30 years

Good to hear, but what on earth has that got to do with discrimination?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Good to hear, but what on earth has that got to do with discrimination?

in many parts of the UK it is the case that acceptance or refusal of dogs is on religious grounds whereas the UK is a secular society therefore it is discrimination however there is no law requiring taxis to carry all dogs