Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:26 am 

Taxi firm advertised for drivers stating we 'do not want Pakistanis'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... o-16630384

The firm blamed customers saying: 'My experience is that most customers prefer white, British drivers'

A taxi firm that posted on Facebook stating it did not "want Pakistanis" driving for it has denied being racist.

The owner of Sandfields-based Cardy Cabs in Port Talbot said he won't employ "foreign drivers", claiming customers do not like them.

Image: Wales Online

Janet Cardy posted an advertisement for new drivers on Facebook on Sunday.

Later, when she was engaging with some of the responses she got, Mrs Cardy wrote: "No p***s"

Instead she told the applicant to try another firm who have "all foreign drivers."

She added: "They like dark ones."

The Facebook post has since been deleted but a screenshot was taken and has been widely shared since.

In one response Mrs Cardy wrote: "I got one working with me now I get on with him but the customers moan a bit.

"I have had a lot of them they good work but they could say don’t send him."

Mrs Cardy's husband, firm owner Howard Cardy said the fallout had been blown out of proportion.

Mr Cardy said he often picks up the taxi service's phone and claimed his customers tell him: "Do not send a p***."

"It is something older people used to say - they do not like them," he added.

"They prefer to get in other drivers' cars.

"My experience is that most customers prefer white, British drivers.

"We had a foreign driver before, from Croatia, but people didn't like him because of his accent.

"I am reluctant to employ foreign drivers but the one I have is good as gold."

Mr Cardy said they were not racist, adding in the past they had employed two men from Bangladesh.

He said the drivers were good but the problem were his customers, who he claimed they said not to send them.

Writing on social media, Sarah Miller wrote: "Wow this is unbelievable Janet Cardy you are absolutely shocking.

"I personally have always rung your company when in need of a taxi but after this disgrace of a post I shall never use your firm again.

"Hang your head in shame for the utter foul that comes from your mouth and secondly please learn to spell."

Julie Evans wrote it was disgusting, adding she always used to use the firm but wouldn't anymore.

Saera Cole wrote it made no difference what the customer wants.

She added: "It’s what’s legal and what’s not and last time I checked it was a criminal offence to discriminate based on race!"

South Wales Police has said the local neighbourhood policing and community safety team were aware of the posts and were reviewing the matter.

A spokeswoman said: "People are reminded that every social media site has terms of use and to adhere to these."

A Neath Port Talbot Council spokesman said: "The council condemns the unacceptable racist and discriminatory comments made as part of this social media post.

"The individual in question does not hold any licences with this authority, hence we are unable to take formal action.

"We have however been in discussions with the Police Licensing Officer (of South Wales Police), who has advised that any person wishing to make a complaint should do so by calling 101.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 am 

Quote:
A Neath Port Talbot Council spokesman said: "The council condemns the unacceptable racist and discriminatory comments made as part of this social media post.

"The individual in question does not hold any licences with this authority, hence we are unable to take formal action.

So who *does* licence them, then? #-o

Anyway, by the look of the original posts, I suspect many of the foreign drivers speak better English than Janet Cardy :badgrin:

But, to be fair, maybe she's a Welsh speaker and English isn't her first language. A certain irony there :-s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
sounds like sh'e barely literate :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm 

edders23 wrote:
sounds like sh'e barely literate :roll:

Yes, and she doesn't even use capital letters and full stops. :badgrin:

Anyway, as regards Neath Port Talbot's claim that they don't licence "the individual in question", there's a couple of photos of black HCs on the firm's Facebook page that look like they *are* plated by the council:

The black vehicle colour, position and look of sticker is the same as this photo of Port Talbot HCs at the rail station (you know, the rank where they can leave about half a mile between cabs).

And, that looks suspiciously like a Cardy Cab at the back of the queue:

So I suppose the most obvious explanation is that the proprietors of the firm don't actually plate any cars themselves, and they're an unlicensed despatch office which doesn't require an operator's licence because they're HC-only.

Alternatively, maybe they do run PHVs and/or Mr Cardy has cars plated, but Mrs Cardy doesn't and thus doesn't require any sort of licence [-(

The council specifically refers to the 'individual in question', thus that would be Mrs Cardy, and not Mr Cardy or the firm more generally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:46 pm 

Can someone just remind me that it's 2019, not 1719?

](*,)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:05 pm 

Baaa.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:20 am 

Sussex wrote:
Can someone just remind me that it's 2019, not 1719?

](*,)

well for starters the diesel engine and cars weren't invented in 1719
TV wasn't invented
Microwaves weren't invented
Computers didn't exist
Internet didn't exist

If you want more i can probably run to a couple of hundred :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:36 am 

Racism row taxi firm Cardy Cabs receives 'death threat'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49098487

A family-run taxi firm, which advertised for staff on Facebook but said it did not want to employ Pakistani or "dark" drivers, has denied being racist.

Janet Cardy, whose husband owns Cardy Cabs in Port Talbot, said they have since received a death threat.

South Wales Police said it was looking into the matter and Neath Port Talbot Council condemned the posts.

"I'm having people phoning our office, abusing us," said Mrs Cardy.

"I'm having threats. I'm frightened in case someone [puts] our windows in or set us alight."

She said she was responding to complaints from customers in her Facebook comments.

"We pick up the phone and they say 'don't send me a foreign driver'," she said.

'Disgusted'

Mrs Cardy insisted she was not racist and had employed several drivers from Pakistan.

The firm has lost a number of local contracts and BBC Wales understands that a number of others are now at risk.

The post was criticised on social media and former Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood tweeted that it had "disgusted" her.

Image: Twitter/BBC

A Neath Port Talbot Council spokesperson said: "The individual in question does not hold any licences with this authority, hence we are unable to take formal action."

Port Talbot Taxi Association chairman, Mike Allen, who is also one of its drivers, said: "We fully welcome all nationalities both as customers and drivers alike.

"However, we are aware we need customers and drivers to be able to understand each other for obvious reasons."

Publishing an advert which discriminates on the basis of a protected characteristic, which includes race, is unlawful under the Equality Act 2010.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 am 

Sounds like she's regretting her Ratner moment now :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 am 

Karga wrote:
Sounds like she's regretting her Ratner moment now :lol:

I think the rest of us are enjoying it though

I presume they had to provide racial equality policy documentation with applications for contracts :-"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:18 pm 

A bit more on how it's affected the business. According to Mr Cardy (wrongly called Mr Howard here) it hasn't affected business, which obviously contradicts what was said earlier about the lost contracts etc.

But when this story broke I did wonder if the work they'd obviously lose would be more than offset by the extra business they'd gain :-s

'Death threats' received by taxi company which said it did not want 'Pakistani' drivers

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... y-16642513

The owners of the firm claimed eggs had been thrown at their cars and people had threatened to set their home on fire

A firm that posted on Facebook stating it did not "want Pakistani" drivers has claimed it has received death threats.

The owner of Sandfields-based Cardy Cabs in Port Talbot , Howard Cardy, said he wouldn't employ "foreign drivers", claiming customers did not like them .

This came after his wife Janet Cardy posted an advertisement for new drivers on Facebook on Sunday and, when she was engaging with some of the responses she received, Mrs Cardy wrote: "No p***s".

The taxi company now claims it is being bullied and receiving death threats.

Police have confirmed they are investigating the threats, but also the original Facebook comments.

Janet Cardy said: "People are chucking eggs at our cars.

"It is pathetic.

"We have had people saying they will smash our car up and set it alight."

Mrs Cardy said they had received around 150 nuisance and abusive calls since Sunday.

"We have had 10 people calling today so far since we opened at 7am this morning," she continued.

Mr Cardy claimed several death threats had also been made, saying 'your house will catch fire at the weekend' and 'we will shove things through your letterbox and you won't be able to get out'.

Mrs Cardy apologised for her comments, saying she didn't realise the word was offensive.

"I am not racist," she added. "I didn't know that by cutting the word in half it would be so hurtful to some people.

"It is silly, I really can not understand."

Mr Howard said the fallout had not affected business but described it as "annoying".

The post has been criticised on social media, with the leader of Plaid Cymru leader tweeting it had disgusted her.

Another commentator, Sarah Miller, wrote: "Wow this is unbelievable Janet Cardy you are absolutely shocking.

"I personally have always rung your company when in need of a taxi but after this disgrace of a post I shall never use your firm again.

"Hang your head in shame for the utter foul that comes from your mouth and secondly please learn to spell."

Neath Port Talbot Council has previously condemned the "unacceptable, racist and discriminatory comments" made on the post.

The spokesman said they were unable to take any formal action, adding: "A Hackney carriage vehicle (taxi) must be licensed, this is called a proprietor's licence and can be held by an individual or a company.

"Any person who drives a licensed vehicle must also be licensed, this is called a driver licence and must be held by an individual. A private hire operator licence is only required when an individual operates private hire vehicles.

"The comments referred to have not been made by a person who holds any of these licences.”

A spokesman for South Wales Police said: "We are investigating both complaints re the original Facebook comments and also allegations of threatening behaviour.

"South Wales Police would like to remind the public that use of social media carries responsibilities. Before posting comments, it is advisable to consider what impact those comments will have on other people and whether the post could be breaking the law."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 pm 

So it's all Boris's fault? :roll:

Neath Port Talbot Council wrote:
"A Hackney carriage vehicle (taxi) must be licensed, this is called a proprietor's licence and can be held by an individual or a company.

"Any person who drives a licensed vehicle must also be licensed, this is called a driver licence and must be held by an individual. A private hire operator licence is only required when an individual operates private hire vehicles.

"The comments referred to have not been made by a person who holds any of these licences.”

Think this confirms my earlier theory - firm looks all-HC, thus no licence required for the despatch operation. And Mrs Cardy obviously neither an HC badge nor plate holder.

(Another possibility is that there is a PH operator's licence in place, but Mrs Cardy isn't one of the individuals named under the licence.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:42 pm 

What a mess?

Lesson to the world that what you write on social media can come back and bite your arse.