Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am 

https://www.planinsurance.co.uk/blog/le ... an-dynamo/

Since its launch in 2017, LEVC (previously know as the London Taxi Company) has been the market leader for all things electric taxi related on the streets of London.

Fast forward to 2019, and now the Nissan Dynamo electric taxi, dubbed “The World’s First 100% Electric Black Cab” will make its debut, attempting to prove it has the credentials needed to make a dent in the EV taxi market.

This article looks at both taxis and compares their appearance, features, affordability and running costs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm 

Is the Nissan here?,it's been coming for the last 5/6 years.they are all too expensive no matter which way you look at it.cabbies wages have not gone up in years,meanwhile poober gets more and more prevalent,cocking up the market.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:02 pm 

Quote:
air conditioning that can be preset with the dedicated taxi app or the vehicle key fob.

Just what the UK's cab trade have been desperately waiting for? [-(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:04 pm 

Quote:
a range of over 170 miles per charge.

I'm a massive fan of electric cabs/cars, but that's not enough.

Never will be for a cab. [-(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:09 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
a range of over 170 miles per charge.

I'm a massive fan of electric cabs/cars, but that's not enough.

Never will be for a cab. [-(

I spoke to John Heath, (market development manager at Dynamo) several months ago when deciding what to replace my Vito with. He told me they were expecting 130/140 miles in ‘real world’ driving.
Now, that in itself is not enough, but take into consideration the accepted reduction in battery memory of 5% per year, ( even more if you’re a high mileage driver with more battery cycles) and you’re left with a range of a little over 100 miles after five years. #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
Don’t be thinking your covered by the battery warranty either, Nissan are renowned for telling disgruntled owners of Nissan leafs that their battery’s are fine, they calculate the battery condition on ‘bars’ not range.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:07 am 

We are considering an electric car. The Tesla model 3 and the Kia Niro have a good range and the price is not to bad. The Niro may be a bit on the small side though. We will be taking a proper look later in August for a possible delivery next March. We already have a charging point at our office.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm 

I wonder if this is a reaction to the cheaper versions coming through from the competition.

New low-spec LEVC TX Icon taxi on the way

The London Electric Vehicle Company (LEVC) is planning to build a more affordable version of its TX electric taxi called the Icon. The TX Icon is set to enter production in September 2019 and will be a “low-specification” version of the existing taxi.

It has not been revealed which pieces of equipment will be missing, but the Icon will have a lower purchase price than the standard TX, which costs £55,599 to buy outright, although most examples are purchased on lease.

The Icon will be built alongside the TX and the upcoming LCV at LEVC’s factory in Coventry, with LEVC’s CEO Joerg Hofmann saying that firm is “100 per cent committed” to staying in the UK after Brexit.

“We don’t have any discussions that we will shut down the plant in Coventry,” said Hofmann. “This is the base of the company – we want to increase and expand the product portfolio, we have a plan to get more out of Coventry.

“We are a UK-based company, we are a UK brand which will expand into Europe, so I can’t see any short-term developments there – the investment is too big and our plans are in a different direction.”

While this may be seen as a vote of confidence in post-Brexit Britain, Hofmann also warned that a no deal Brexit is something LEVC wants to avoid, claiming that it would have a “significant impact” on the company.

“A no deal Brexit would certainly have a significant impact on our plans,” Hofmann continued. “Maybe not meaning that we would shut down the factory, but it would immediately mean that we would have production shortage. After a while, we would have to stop production and, because we would not have enough parts anymore... I really believe there will be an impact on our product.”

He added: “But we are not talking about shutting down Coventry – I firmly believe I can say as CEO that we are 100 per cent committed to make it work.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:55 pm 

Don’t know how they’re going to sell a low spec model, the current one isn’t exactly luxurious!. If they drop the A/C and the panoramic roof that may well save them a few bob but it would have to be at least £10,000 cheaper to be a serious contender. I think for the London market the Dynamo will do well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:25 pm 

Just had a drive in the TXe and I must say it was fantastic,a real leap ahead of the previous TXs.Only 2 negatives;first is the lack of baggage space (speaking as a E7 owner,who now does more PH work than rank work) and second is the cost.
Poober has totally ruined city centre work charging 15 year old prices.this ideal taxi is about 15 years too late.its come at the wrong time .my E7 is also much quieter than a Tx4 and much more reliable and cheaper to run,so although the TXe is better overall it's not worth getting into that much debt for.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 pm 

rayggb wrote:
TXe is better overall it's not worth getting into that much debt for.

Aren't they doing a deal where you only pay for the miles you do?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 pm 

Yes there is a pay as you drive but,there is a minimum payment.it goes up and down depending on mileage but,it's still your debt 3/ to 7 years.if I was a young man I would buy one but,then again the money is just not there as it used to be so maybe I wouldn't!