Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:55 pm 

Makes a change from tuk-tuks and rickshaws, I suppose [-(

Anger as man turns his disability scooter into taxi for late-night drinkers

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... er-3147942

"It goes around 20mph and I bet he doesn't have a licence. It is totally illegal."

Image: Devon Live

A man who turned his mobility scooter into a taxi service for late-night revellers has left local taxi drivers fuming

Residents have reported the man often seen in the area around Debenhams in Torquay from around midnight onwards, charging drinkers for a ride between pubs or for a lift home.

One taxi driver - who wished to remain anonymous - said he had seen 'about five people hanging off the side' at times.

But his antics have also caused anger, with one cabbie accusing him of flouting rules by not having a licence, insurance or a safe vehicle.

"You see it zooming around the harbour area and Debenhams, charging around with flashing lights on - it has to be seen to be believed," said the angry driver.

"I saw about five people hanging off the side of it once. It is only supposed to take one person.

"I think he has put a mattress on it and he goes around from pub to pub picking up people and dropping them off. He charges for it too.

"He's been doing it for a couple of months now. You see people jumping on it and hanging off the side. It's incredible.

"It goes around 20mph and I bet he doesn't have a licence. It is totally illegal."

People outside London must apply to their local council for a licence to drive a taxi or private hire vehicle.

They must be able to work legally in the UK, and have held a full GB or Northern Ireland driving licence - or a full EU driving licence - for at least a year.

Applicants must also be a ‘fit and proper person’ - which means their background and character will be checked.

The council may carry out an enhanced criminal records check, while applicants may also need a medical examination, a ‘knowledge’ test and even another a driving test.

"I know it sounds sad me saying all of this but it is only a matter of time before someone falls off or gets hurt," continued the angry local taxi driver.

"He is not a taxi but he has a taxi sign on it, I don’t think he has a licence and i’ll be he doesn’t have insurance either.

"We have to pay for licensing and things like that. Complaints have been made by other drivers but nobody has done anything about it.

"If they're not going to do anything then I might as well get one myself!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm 

From i have been told its covered up in fairy lights just like a Christmas tree with drunks hanging out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 pm 

Quote:
has left local taxi drivers fuming

Really? :-s

My view is that if someone is the kind of idiot that is prepared to be taken home on one of those things, then they are not the kind of idiot that I want in my car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:25 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Surely an easy enforcement job ..........oh wait is Torbay another council who don't do enforcement

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !