Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:53 pm 

Most of this is a bit of a rehash for those familiar with the case, but a comprehensive outline of it for anyone who might have missed it.

A boozy night out on Deansgate Locks before she ruined a taxi driver's life... 'responsible and caring' woman jailed for false rape allegation

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-16684557

Laura Hood's victim said: "This is the most disgusting thing that anyone can be accused of."

Images: Manchester Evening News/Cavendish Press/Greater Manchester Police

A woman who ‘damaged the public perception of rape cases’ by falsely accusing a taxi driver of the crime has been jailed.

A trial jury previously heard how Haroon Yousaf was left broken by Laura Hood’s false allegation, which sparked a major police investigation.

Hood wrongly claimed the taxi driver had stopped his cab at the side of the road and then sexually assaulted her in the back seat whilst he was giving her a lift home following a drunken night out, a trial previously heard.

Police arrested Mr Yousaf, 29, in front of colleagues at a cab rank. He spent 20 hours in custody and had to give intimate samples before being released without charge.

A court previously heard that the dad-of-two is still affected by the ordeal.

In a victim impact statement he said: "This is the most disgusting thing that anyone can be accused of.”

Another taxi driver with a similar number plate – who was also entirely innocent – was also arrested and subjected to questioning by police who were investigating Hood’s false claims.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard Hood had been asked to attend an identity parade which included both innocent men.

They would have been ‘immediately absolved’ of any wrongdoing, but the defendant refused to attend.

A judge today (August 1) told Hood, 27, that her actions had struck at the heart of criminal justice and could damage the public perception of rape cases generally.

Jailing Hood for three years, Judge Julie Warburton told the defendant: “Rape is one of the most serious allegations that can be made about a man and making false allegations can ruin a person’s life overnight.”

She added: “Your actions have shown a blatant disregard for the rights of these men and the effects of making false allegations about people.

“This offence strikes at the heart of criminal justice and has a tendency to damage the public perception of the justice system and impact the administration of justice and rape cases generally.

“For these reasons I deem this offence so serious that only immediate custody can be justified.”

Hood claimed that Mr Yousaf had stopped his cab at the side of the road and then sexually assaulted her in the back seat whilst he was giving her a lift home following a drunken night out.

During the trial a jury heard a statement from Mr Yousaf in which he said: ''This still affects me in my day-to-day life and I don't know if I will ever come back fully from this. Before this incident I was a strong person.

"However, I'm now negative and worry that things can go wrong.

"This is the most disgusting thing that anyone can be accused of.

"When I pick up single female passengers I always worry that something could happen again.

"I had to take my clothes off in front of a stranger. I had tears in my eyes. I don't think this female really understands what she has done and how it has affected my life."

Police suspected Mr Yousaf had been falsely accused when he gave details of a tracking device linked to the black cab which showed the vehicle had been driven straight to Hood's home in Stockport without stopping.

There was also no evidence of physical contact between them and Hood gave a statement claiming her attacker was 58.

The other suspect was also cleared of any wrongdoing and Hood was subsequently charged with faking her account.

It emerged she made her false claims of rape after losing her gold iPhone 5s and became separated from her friends.

She had been in Revolution Bar on Deansgate Locks drinking Prosecco, vodka shots and cider to celebrate a friend’s birthday in Manchester city centre on January 7, 2017.

She got into Mr Yousaf’s cab at 1.10am and asked to be taken home via a bank.

Mr Yousaf drove her to a Tesco Express where CCTV footage showed the taxi stopping at 1.22am as the defendant got out to use the cash machine, the court previously heard.

She got back into the vehicle and Mr Yousaf followed his sat nav to her home without stopping.

However, when she stepped into her house, Hood went upstairs to her mother and stepfather’s bedroom where she began sobbing uncontrollably and told them she had been raped.

The trail heard how Hood’s stepfather called the police.

Hood claimed her assailant was an Asian male, aged about 58 with a thin face, no beard and no facial hair and claimed she was attacked about five minutes after stopping at the cash point.

A specially trained officer attended the family home and found 'extremely distraught' Hood hiding under her bedding 'reluctant to engage'.

Human resources worker Hood was convicted of perverting the course of justice after a jury of nine women and three men took six hours to reach their 10-two majority guilty verdict.

She accepted no rape took place but denied wrongdoing insisting she had she 'believed' at the time she was sexually assaulted.

Thomas McKail, defending Hood, described his client as an 'intelligent, responsible, caring, loving and positive individual'.

“Up until these matters she was a woman of good character,” he said.

He told the judge that Hood – who has no previous convictions – suffers from mild depressive disorder and struggled to deal with the desperation of her parents and the death of her best friend as a child.

Mr McKail described Hood as a ‘capable young woman’ who has always worked and has a strong work ethic.

“She had lost her good character,” he added.

“That will have an enormous impact on her life and is something she will have to deal with head on.”

Jailing Hood, Judge Warburton said Mr Yousaf had been arrested in front of work colleagues, held in custody 20 hours and quizzed by detectives about Hood’s allegations.

He was unable to work as a taxi driver while the allegation hung over his head and believed he would have to give evidence in court until the day of trial, she said.

She added: “He found the whole experience harrowing and upsetting.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 pm 

Quote:
He told the judge that Hood – who has no previous convictions – suffers from mild depressive disorder and struggled to deal with the desperation of her parents and the death of her best friend as a child.

Separation, presumably.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
this is the one that couldn't understand why she believed she had been raped well she'll have plenty of time banged up to figure it out :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:28 pm 

We have an on going situation here where a woman accused a driver of rape. I can't go into the details yet because as I say it is ongoing. However it seems that the police and the Council are satisfied that the incident did not happen but they still haven't formally cleared the driver. The main problem seems to be that the women will not accept that she made the story up even though how she describes what she says happened is pretty much impossible since she agrees that the incident happened without the vehicle stopping at any time during the time she was in the car until they arrived at her address and she paid for the journey.
The driver is convinced that in the end the police will just say that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute for rape and leave it at that and not prosecute her for the lies she has told.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:59 am 

Quote:
“That will have an enormous impact on her life and is something she will have to deal with head on.”

Good.

The longer she suffers the better, however I suspect those lads falsely accused will suffer a lot longer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:01 am 

Quote:
The driver is convinced that in the end the police will just say that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute for rape and leave it at that and not prosecute her for the lies she has told.

If she made a false statement then she should be prosecuted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:32 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

If she made a false statement then she should be prosecuted.

don't think you understand the way policing works in rural areas :wink: that would require doing actual policing which tends to be avoided as it ties officers down not sure about Melton but at weekends we have 2 officers in one patrol car covering over a hundred square miles and 130000 population

things like this are usually brushed under the carpet

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !