Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:11 pm 

Not much to see here, but certainly plenty of dodgy people involved in the Stamford trade :lol:

https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/ ... b-9079275/

Wondered why a story about an East Northamptonshire plate was doing in the Stamford Mercury, though, but looking at the map it seems the border is very close to Stamford. I'd have guessed it was a good distance away, but there you go :?

In fact noticed the Stamford article yesterday, but this one in the slightly more relevant Northants Telegraph contains a bit more information. For what it's worth, Rushden (where the plate was stolen) is 31 miles from Stamford at the other end of East Northants (according to my good friend Google), although the East Northants border is actually very close to Stamford (just over a mile or so).

Cab-users warned to be "extra vigilant" after taxi licensing plate is stolen in Rushden

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... -1-9032811

A warning has been issued over a possible bogus cab driver operating with a stolen taxi licensing plate in East Northamptonshire.

Taxi-users are being urged to be on their guard after the the private hire taxi plate was stolen from a legitimate cab in Alfred Street, Rushden, in the early hours of last Sunday morning, August 4.

Police said the theft happened sometime between midnight and 9am last Sunday when the crook -- or crooks -- unscrewed the plate and then escaped.

And East Northamptonshire Council, which is responsible for issuing the taxi plates, has now issued a warning amid fears the stolen plate could be used by someone impersonating a cab driver or used in the commission of other crimes.

All taxis that are registered with a council must display the licence plate, which has a unique reference. In East Northamptonshire the plates must be placed on the rear of the vehicle.

The stolen taxi plate's unique reference is ‘PHV/3'.

There are concerns the stolen plate could be fitted to other vehicles that may be used to commit a crime, the council said in a statement yesterday (Monday).

Steven North, the leader of the council, added: “The theft has been reported to the police and the plate numbers have been decommissioned, but sadly a stolen licence plate can have an impact on the wider community and those using taxis should be extra vigilant.”

“Wherever possible, pre-book a taxi and ask the driver for the name of the booking before you get in.

"A top tip is to always keep the number of a reliable firm with you so you don’t get caught out.”

Those who spot the stolen plate ‘PHV/3’ are urged to record as much information as possible before phoning the police on the 101 number.

The council has also issued the following advice:

• Plan how you’re going to get home from a night out - arrange a lift or book a taxi in your name and leave the taxi booking details with a friend.

• Always keep the number of a reliable taxi firm with you.

• Avoid taxis that tout for business and are unlicensed.

• When a taxi arrives, check it is the one you booked by asking for the name in which it was booked. If in doubt, don’t get in.

• If travelling alone, always sit behind the driver in the back seat.

• If you feel uneasy, ask to be let out.

• Stick with your friends and choose a meeting point in case you get separated.

• Never accept a lift from a stranger.

For more information about taxi licensing in East Northants, visit the council's website at http://www.northantslicensing.gov.uk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm 

Wouldn't be surprised if the plate was stolen by another driver having a laugh.

Few years back I turned one of my mates plates upside down, took him days to realise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Few years back I turned one of my mates plates upside down, took him days to realise.

:-s

Stolen plates are a good argument for those new-fangled sticker ones, though - it would presumably be difficult or impossible to remove it then affix it to another vehicle in a useable state?

Or good argument for those who keep their more conventional plates in the back window [-X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
plates are routinely stolen round here 3 of my drivers have had plates disappear outside their houses

If you recall there was a couple of stories of vehicles working in South Cambridgeshire and i think Reading on stolen plates

usually it is rival taxis trying to nobble the opposition but the thing is we've already got vehicles working in the town on Rutland,Peterborough, Huntingdonshire plates either for sweetie shop or benefit cabs

And as a historical note until the boundaries were changed there was a point on the meadows near the rivers where 4 counties met but they changed it so it is 2 2's :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 am 

Sussex wrote:

Some years ago we caught one of our drivers at a ladies house in the middle of the night, we took his wheels off and left his car on bricks. He had some explaining to do to his missus the next morning when he walked in the house without his car.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
A lot of these local rags reprint stories from each other to bulk it up

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !