Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: isthis allowed?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:25 am 

If a driver has accumulated hundreds of phone numbers in his phone can he send a marketing message to all of them without the person agreeing to receive marketing texts and without any means of opting out?
Also If I have put a post on facebook to inform the public of our working hours and we get a reply from someone saying "great can you book me in" and gives their details, can another company sent a message to that person on messanger giving their details and asking them to contact them instead of us?
Have any laws been broken such as touting, data protection, cold calling?

Post subject: Re: isthis allowed?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:57 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
defo data protection but the complaint must be from someone whose data has been illegally collected

I had a driver who left us and subsequently knocked on over a hundred customers doors offering to under cut us unfortunately under cold calling rules the customer has to make the complaint not us and nobody wanted to get him into trouble :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:19 pm 

edders23 wrote:
defo data protection but the complaint must be from someone whose data has been illegally collected

I had a driver who left us and subsequently knocked on over a hundred customers doors offering to under cut us unfortunately under cold calling rules the customer has to make the complaint not us and nobody wanted to get him into trouble :sad:

This is where we may have the advantage because the text marketing was received by one of our office staff and the messenger recipient was a fellow Councillor who is also on the licensing committee.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 pm 

Glad I dont have these problems....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 am 

grandad wrote:
If a driver has accumulated hundreds of phone numbers in his phone can he send a marketing message to all of them without the person agreeing to receive marketing texts and without any means of opting out?
Also If I have put a post on facebook to inform the public of our working hours and we get a reply from someone saying "great can you book me in" and gives their details, can another company sent a message to that person on messanger giving their details and asking them to contact them instead of us?
Have any laws been broken such as touting, data protection, cold calling?

In the UK, the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR), released by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), governs text marketing laws based on the Data Protection Act. ... As with the previous acts, SMS marketing is illegal without prior consent, you should also take them to court for loss of income due to there illegal activities

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:01 pm 

Quote:

No, that would be in breach of the new GDPR regulations.

The opting out bit is irrelevant, people now have to opt in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:05 pm 

Quote:

I suppose they could.

No laws are being broken.

Not sure Facebook is the best way interact with customers on a one on one basis.