Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 pm 

Have just ignored last couple of articles I've come across about defibrillators, but at least this is a bit different :-o

But if it's anything like Dundee's Tay Road Bridge then the police usually shut the bridge for an hour or two when this sort of thing happens, so lifebelts not much use if drivers stuck in the traffic jams at either end of the bridge :?

Glasgow Taxi drivers urged to carry lifebelts in new safety initiative

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/178 ... nitiative/

Image: Evening Times

Taxi drivers in Glasgow are being urged to become potential life-savers - by carrying emergency lifebelts in the back of their cabs.

The new initiative is being brought forward by campaigner Stef Shaw, aka the Glasgow Cabbie, and the Glasgow Humane Society (GHS).

They believe that by carrying the safety equipment, cabbies in Glasgow will be more vigilant and alert as they cross the many bridges over the River Clyde.

Stef Shaw said: "We have taxi drivers interested who just need to realise that they are potential lifesavers.

"Glasgow taxi drivers cross those bridges all day everyday and we have the need for speed when someone is in the water.

"It’s a very simple but excellent idea - and carrying lifebelts will also make our drivers that bit more vigilant at bridges."

Stef told the Evening Times how the GHS rescued 11 people from the river last year, on top of 79 call outs by the emergency services.

Glasgow Taxis have now sent out a letter on Stef's behalf to all their drivers, in which he urges them to get involved.

Stef Shaw (Image: Evening Times)

George Parsonage and William Graham of the GHS say they are prepared to provide a number of cabs with lifebelts and throw ropes, as well as provide short lessons in how to use the equipment.

The new initiative comes off the back of Stef Shaw's campaign to get emergency lifeline telephones put in place on the banks of the Clyde.

Those proposals have now received the backing of Glasgow City Council and work is now in place to have the phones installed.

Samaritans signage has also been put in place along every city centre bridge.

The Evening Times have contacted Glasgow Taxis for comment.

Anyone who needs help can contact Samaritans 24/7 free on 116 123 or by visiting Samaritans.org.

Image: Evening Times

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Any connection with yesterday's article purely coincidental 8)

Number plate 1 TOA - bet everyone he picks up knows what that stands for :-s

Interesting MoT failure in 2015 @ 92,000 miles though:

Quote:
• Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
• Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
• Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

You'd think an experienced driver would realise there's something wrong with the handbrake, though.

Of course, the owner may have taken it for repair and asked for an MoT while there, but they do it the other way round #-o

And recall the Edinburgh TX a couple of weeks ago with the questionable mileage figures?

Well look at what this one failed on in 2013 @ 22,000 miles:

Quote:
Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8 )
• Nearside Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
• Offside Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
• Nearside Front Front wheel bearing has excessive play (2.5.A.3c)
• Offside Front Front wheel bearing has excessive play (2.5.A.3c)
• Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Offside Rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

A purpose-built HC with 22,000 miles on the clock failing for that kind of stuff? Really? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:45 pm 

Don't know if it's significant, but they've changed the photo of Stef Shaw on the Evening Times website.

Maybe he's sold the cab on and asked for photo to be changed because of its distinctive appearance, or something like that, or maybe the flags have been removed, but who knows :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous why not secure a few to the bridge so that ANY passer by can save the person (if they want to be saved)

So it's just the national politicians suffering from mad cow disease then :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 pm 

I can't believe I have just read an article that's suggesting cab drivers carry a life-belt in the back of their cabs.

For f*** f***ing sake. ](*,)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 am 

Maybe they should also carry an Emergency Personnel Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) and a 25 man Life-raft. Then they could have a propeller fitted and a system of inflatable skirts - use the whole Cab to effect a rescue.

I don't think any Cab should carry a Fire Extinguisher, they lead to more problems than rescues.

I will not be carrying a Perry Buoy anytime soon. Even on the boat I wouldn't have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Maybe they should also carry an Emergency Personnel Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) and a 25 man Life-raft. Then they could have a propeller fitted and a system of inflatable skirts - use the whole Cab to effect a rescue.

I don't think any Cab should carry a Fire Extinguisher, they lead to more problems than rescues.

I will not be carrying a Perry Buoy anytime soon. Even on the boat I wouldn't have one.

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous why not secure a few to the bridge so that ANY passer by can save the person (if they want to be saved)

So it's just the national politicians suffering from mad cow disease then :roll:

Indeed. Bit like the defibrillator thing - call me a cynic, but while no doubt it's to a degree well-meaning, also looks like bit of free advertising and simply getting their photos in the paper.

Reminds me of this stuff the other day too about advice from Police Scotland to prepare 'emergency grab bags'. Suspect they're trying to make a thinly-veiled political point about Brexit :roll:

Anyway, the Scottish Daily Mail obviously didn't like this, but I'm not sure if they're accusing police and politicians of having a panic attack, or having one themselves :-s

And according to a piece in the Metro (link below), other UK police forces have been issuing the same advice?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/10/emergenc ... -10715815/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:09 pm 

So you need a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, a defibrillator and a lifebelt. Where will the customers luggage go when the front is full?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

In the 25 man Life-Raft you thoughtfully tow behind maybe Grandad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
In the 25 man Life-Raft you thoughtfully tow behind maybe Grandad.

Silly me, I forgot about that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:07 pm 

Even less to do with the trade than the lifebelt thing, but couldn't help noticing this guy was in the news again.

But the issue in question has certainly generated a bit more public interest than the lifebelt thing :shock:

Glasgow Cabbie leading police station protest against controversial SNP school sex survey

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/ ... n-26058632

The demonstration is being organised by Stef Shaw, the famed poetry-writing Glasgow Cabbie, who is outraged at the Scottish Government's proposals.

Concerned citizens will protest outside a Glasgow police station next week and lodge a formal complaint against the Scottish Government's controversial school sex survey.

The gathering is being organised by Stef Shaw, the famed poetry-writing Glasgow Cabbie, who is outraged at the SNP's proposals.

The Scottish Government have been under-fire due to their planned school sex survey, which will asks teenagers aged 14 and over about their sexual experiences.

Almost a third of councils, including Renfrewshire and Inverclyde, have already ditched the questionnaire following furious backlash from parents.

Out of 32 local authorities, 10 have refused to participate whilst three others are 'adapting' the survey directly regarding the sexually explicit questions. A further 11 are still reviewing its content, according to The Herald.

The survey asked questions about pupils intimate relationships and asks them in detail about what sexual activity they have engaged in.

It has been slammed as "intrusive" by critics, with even Scotland's children commissioner Bruce Adamson asking for it to be paused.

But the Scottish Government have refused to withdraw it, detailing that it is needed so that they can understand some of the issues facing young people.

Mr Shaw, who has a substantial following on social media, is organising the protest because he believes that the survey is "wrong."

He told the Scottish Daily Express: "It was the bus pass thing that set me off this time as it asked about teen's sexual orientation.

"It is wrong what they are asking children, the questions they are asking children as young as 14 is wrong, they are asking them to incriminate themselves in law.

"These are kids below the age of consent and they are asking them if they're participating in anal or vaginal sex, it's just wrong.

"We want the Scottish Government to overturn that decision and withdraw the survey."

Mr Shaw has urged all concerned citizens and members of the public to gather outside the police office on Stewart Street in Glasgow on Monday at 8pm.

They will make a direct complaint about schoolchildren sex surveys and the inappropriate one for teenagers to the police.

Approximately 10 school councils have already halted the rollout of the questionnaire, with others expected to follow.

Mr Shaw added: "I want to see all concerned citizens, be it parents, grandparents, responsible adults who would like to see this survey scrapped come to this peaceful, supportive demonstration.

"The reaction I have since announcing it is fantastic, and an awful lot of people have come forward once I set a date and a time."

You can find out more about the protest here.

A Scottish Government spokesperson said: “Health and wellbeing surveys like this one are not new and play a crucial role in ensuring children and young people have access to the help, advice and services they need.

“Parents/carers and children and young people are informed of how their data will be used in advance of any taking part in the census and they can decide to opt out if they wish. If children and young people do take part, they can skip any question they don’t wish to answer or state that they would ‘prefer not to say’.

“The questions for each stage are age appropriate. For example questions on alcohol and smoking are asked of children and young people in S2 and above, and questions on relationships and sexual health are asked of young people in S4 and above. However, councils are free to remove questions they do not wish to ask to ensure this important survey can proceed.

“We fully support the administration of this important, voluntary, census, and we will continue to engage with stakeholders on its implementation.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:40 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Stef Shaw, the famed poetry-writing Glasgow Cabbie,

a more interesting survey might be to see what percentage of the Glasgey populace have heard of him :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:21 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:
Stef Shaw, the famed poetry-writing Glasgow Cabbie,

a more interesting survey might be to see what percentage of the Glasgey populace have heard of him :lol:

who ?
never heard of him or seen him anywhere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:28 pm 

Quote:
who ?
never heard of him or seen him anywhere

He's the fella going around Glasgow with a life belt around his head. :roll: