Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 pm 

Wonder what happened here?

Not sure precisely how Uber's system works, but I'm assuming the passenger keyed in the wrong destination somehow, and then fell asleep for a couple of hours? :-s

Or can the driver override the booking to the extent he can do a 100 mile trip that wasn't the one booked and still get paid for it? :-k

Edinburgh clubber wakes up more than 100 miles away after drunken £400 Uber ride

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... e-20467762

Joseph Fergie was woken up by the taxi driver in Kirkcudbright despite as he tried to get home to Leith from boozy night out at the ATIK nightclub in Edinburgh.

Image: Scottish Sun

A clubber had a night out to forget after ending up more than 100 miles away from home when he fell asleep in a taxi.

Joseph Fergie had just enjoyed a night at ATIK nightclub in Edinburgh on Friday when he decided to get a taxi back to his home in Leith.

After drunkenly ordering an Uber to pick him up after the club shut in the early hours, the 20-year-old fell asleep inside the cab.

The taxi driver then woke the call centre worker up from his post-drink slumber at 8.30am to alert him that he had arrived at his chosen destination.

“I woke up still drunk and when I saw sheep kicking about the countryside - I thought the guy had taken me to Musselburgh ”, Joseph told the Daily Record .

He was soon shocked to discover that he had ended up in Kirkcudbright in Dumfries and Galloway - more than 100 miles away from his home.

Joseph turned to sending a Snapchat of his location to his pals, who were quick to see the funny side of what he described as the “strangest day of his life.”

“I ended up telling all my pals about the situation and they just burst out laughing. They couldn’t believe what happened”, he added.

Joseph then faced a frantic search to find transport home as his phone’s battery was close to running out of charge.

After transferring from several buses and trains, the 20-year-old managed to make it back to Edinburgh at around 3.30pm on Saturday - more than 12 hours after the club shut its doors.

But his calamitous taxi ride has failed to put a dampener on his weekend and he confirmed that he still be heading off out on Saturday night - despite being more than £400 lighter.

Joseph said: “I’m still trying to piece together what exactly happened last night and I am chatting with Uber to see if they can help in any way.

“I’ve had never heard of Kirkcudbright before last night and I doubt I’ll be able to ever forget it now.”

Image: Scottish Sun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:19 pm 

But shows how state-of-the-art tech can be misleading sometimes - not sure precisely what this is (guessing from this Snapchat, or whatever), but the Cairngorms National Park is 200 miles north of the location shown on the map here :-s

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I could understand it if he mistyped leith and ended up in keith or Linlithgow but Kirkcudbright ? Sounds like someone pulled a fast one; after all we know from previous threads just how desperate some Uber drivers are :wink:

I bet he had a job getting from there that's one railway line the Scottish government would never reopen and I doubt there are many buses that far from the central belt

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:42 pm 

Quote:
Or can the driver override the booking to the extent he can do a 100 mile trip that wasn't the one booked and still get paid for it?

I would imagine they can override as punters do change their minds, or they carry on after the first drop, or they can spell out the correct destination.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 am 

Wonder if one of his mates got hold of his phone and changed his home address in the app... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 am 

Funny no one's mentioned the £4 per mile charge on a hundred mile trip :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am 

StuartW wrote:
Funny no one's mentioned the £4 per mile charge on a hundred mile trip :shock:

SURGE ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 pm 

Fella hasn't done too bad out of it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... 0-20533540

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Fella hasn't done too bad out of it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... 0-20533540

Marketing gimmick for the nightclub, much? :?

To be fair, though, could just about see a non-Uber firm trying a similar marketing ploy based on this.

'It wouldn't have happened with us', sort of thing. Which is very probably true, in several different respects.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm 

Uber passenger who 'dozed off in London wakes up in the Midlands with £1,450 bill'

A man claims his Uber driver took him all the way to the Midlands from London despite him typing in his home destination as Croydon.

Musician Chris Reed, who goes by the name Plastician, tweeted about the journey, which cost him more than £1400. He said: ‘Spent this week trying to get answers from @uber as to how my driver managed to drive me halfway up the UK while I dozed off thinking I was headed from Fulham to Croydon. ‘Woken up in the Midlands! ‘Didn’t hear a peep from my driver. £1453.86.’

He also said that for the entire five and a half hour journey to and from Sleaford, in Lincolnshire, Uber’s prices were surging so it doubled the cost. The driver took him back to London but he has so far been unable to get a refund or proper response from the company.

He claims an Uber employee who first took his complaint call on Tuesday confirmed he had entered his home address as Croydon, south London, when he requested the ride. Plastician tweeted: ‘They are now denying this yet have no proof that I ever entered an address in Sleaford – a destination I have never been to in my LIFE. ‘So after 4 frustrating days of trying to avoid having to plaster this over socials, a reminder @uber take ZERO responsibility for their passenger’s safety. ‘NO indication inside my app of that address being entered by me. ‘Drivers can change destinations on trip.’

He later added: ‘Don’t drink & drive but also, don’t drink and get in an @uber as this could happen to anyone. ‘If I am forced to pay this ridiculous fare in it’s entirety then I at least hope it saves people reading this from the same happening to them.’

Uber responded saying: ‘Our team is reviewing your message and will be in touch via email. We appreciate your patience.’ He later updated followers to say he has still not had a response or refund for his trip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm 

sorry but how can Croyden to sleaford be £1450 it is only about 150 miles by the direct route

Oh and Sleaford is in North Kesteven which last time I checked was EAST midlands

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:58 pm 

edders23 wrote:
sorry but how can Croyden to sleaford be £1450 it is only about 150 miles by the direct route

Looks like he was charged for the return trip as well (unlike the Edinburgh guy, who made his own way home).

So that would be 300 miles in total, plus the surge price was x2.

Was going to say in the Edinburgh thread that even if something similar happened to me, no way would I charge for the return, because I'd be going back empty anyway.

But reading the Edinburgh story closely, it's not clear that the driver actually knew that the guy would be going back to Edinburgh, so gave the driver the benefit of the doubt in that case. Of course, that's not what happened here [-(