Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm 

Hello all, firstly I drive a taxi but I'm not a taxi driver.

London born and bred, I've always loved the black cabs and remember on the rare occasion getting to ride in one. Many years later I now own a 1998 TX1 which I am under taken the repair work myself using in a course in vehicle restoration.

I have given my taxi so far a full service but it's the smaller things which I would like please some guidance with.

Many questions which I can't all remember to list, but will add them to this post as they come up.

• Been looking online for a workshop manual but only found scam links. Can anyone help me out?

• Removal of the side panel on the NS of the centre console, I've removed the two screws at the front top edge but there is a large lip under the middle section. Does the centre part need lifting up?

• Overdrive switch bulb replacement. Does the switch need releasing from underneath? If so question above.

• Window seals, why they so expensive? I seen a universal weather seal, I know this is not a approved part but it's not like I will ever carry the GP in the back. Would a universal seal work?

OK, that's the issues that are fighting me at this point in time. Any help anyone can give will be great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 pm 

Sounds like you need MrT and I'm sure he'll help here if he can

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 pm 

Quote:
Window seals, why they so expensive? I seen a universal weather seal, I know this is not a approved part but it's not like I will ever carry the GP in the back. Would a universal seal work?

T&S 0151 933 8585 £50 +vat set of 4..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:30 am 

MR T wrote:
Quote:
Window seals, why they so expensive? I seen a universal weather seal, I know this is not a approved part but it's not like I will ever carry the GP in the back. Would a universal seal work?

The taxi cost me £485 I have ordered second hand wiper linkage and motor which is £49
Spending £60 on some strips of rubber really is not an option to me, also as I need a new tyre on the spare which is about the same cost.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:12 pm 

E_Lovelace wrote:
MR T wrote:
Quote:

The taxi cost me £485 I have ordered second hand wiper linkage and motor which is £49
Spending £60 on some strips of rubber really is not an option to me, also as I need a new tyre on the spare which is about the same cost.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that it is not rotten underneath

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:29 pm 

MR T wrote:
E_Lovelace wrote:
MR T wrote:
Quote:

The first thing you need to do is make sure that it is not rotten underneath

The metal is sound. One small corner had a tiny bit of surface rust, this was stabilised, primer and painted.