Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: waiting time...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 am 

do all areas allow waiting time where a vehicle is stuck in a queue or where a passenger wants to "nip in here for a kebab mate, wont be long..." once loaded as opposed to just keeping a car waiting outside the pub/house?

Post subject: Re: waiting time...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 pm 

This was our last increase:

RESOLVED that the Executive agrees, in the absence of objection following publication, to amend the current Hackney Carriage tariff so that:

(a) there is a pull off charge of £2.40 for the first 180 metres (or part thereof) with a charge of 20p for each succeeding 180 metres (or part thereafter);

(b) there is a charge of 20p for each period of 55 seconds waiting time (or part thereof); and

(c) Easter Sunday from 06:00 hours until 23:30 hours be charged at Rate 2

The meter charges waiting time from the moment it is switched on, up to 6(?) mph, until it is cleared. So, waiting at traffic lights, in a slow moving queue, getting a kebab, etc., will all be charged as waiting time. The argument comes when, like today, you wait for 12 minutes while she gets her coat on. When do you start the meter on a telephone job?

A rank job is slightly different: I start the meter as soon as they make it known that they want me, unless there is disability 'equipment' to load, eg a walking frame or wheels, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:08 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
do all areas allow waiting time where a vehicle is stuck in a queue or where a passenger wants to "nip in here for a kebab mate, wont be long..." once loaded as opposed to just keeping a car waiting outside the pub/house?

When this issue was discussed in the News section recently 8-[ there was some surprise that Lichfield hasn't had a waiting time charge.

So I'd guess Lichfield pretty unusual in not having such a charge. Would be interesting to know how many others don't, if any.

Also daft, in my opinion, if the first five minutes is to be free, as proposed in Lichfield. Not as bad as no charge at all, but five free minutes on a half-mile trip is just an invitation to take the pi$$, in my opinion at least [-(

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34970

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:19 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
The meter charges waiting time from the moment it is switched on, up to 6(?) mph, until it is cleared.

Worked out our Fife charge a few months ago. As I recall it it was about 6mph on Rate 1, and 5mph on Rate 2 (because the waiting charge isn't any higher on Rate 2).

Not that the precise figures are relevant, but just worked it out to tell punters who sometimes seem to think that if you're going slower than usual then you're trying to clock up a higher fare.

But I tell them you'd have to be driving at less than 10mph to do that, and if you're travelling at 30mph or 70mph it won't make any difference to the metered fare [-(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
do all areas allow waiting time where a vehicle is stuck in a queue or where a passenger wants to "nip in here for a kebab mate, wont be long..."

All bar yours. ](*,)

Quote:
once loaded as opposed to just keeping a car waiting outside the pub/house?

Depends on the job. But once the meter is waiting time is charged.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm 

StuartW wrote:
cabbyman wrote:
The meter charges waiting time from the moment it is switched on, up to 6(?) mph, until it is cleared.

Worked out our Fife charge a few months ago. As I recall it it was about 6mph on Rate 1, and 8mph on Rate 2 (because the waiting charge isn't any higher on Rate 2).

Not that the precise figures are relevant, but just worked it out to tell punters who sometimes seem to think that if you're going slower than usual then you're trying to clock up a higher fare.

But I tell them you'd have to be driving at less than 10mph to do that, and if you're travelling at 30mph or 70mph it won't make any difference to the metered fare [-(

As there were no changes, our extra charges didn't show in the extract I used. However, our rate 2 is 2330-0600 and waiting time increases by 30p per 55 secs, as opposed to the rate 1 step of 20p.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:28 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
As there were no changes, our extra charges didn't show in the extract I used. However, our rate 2 is 2330-0600 and waiting time increases by 30p per 55 secs, as opposed to the rate 1 step of 20p.

As portrayed on our tariff card, waiting time is completely independent of T1 and T2, so I've always assumed it's the same at any time. I could be totally wrong, though. T2 is simply stated as "25% on Stage 1 rate", so that could conceivably apply to waiting time as well, but it doesn't as portrayed on the card.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't worked out the speed they have to be going to trigger waiting time rather than a distance charge, just work out your hourly waiting time charge, and divide that by your running mile charge.

So in Fife our T1 charge is 20p per 150 yards. So the running mile is (1,760 yards/150) x 20p = £2.35

T2 is simply 25% higher, so £2.93

Waiting time is £15/hour.

So the relevant speed on T1 is £15.00/£2.35 = 6.4 mph

On T2 it's £15.00/£2.93 = 5.1 mph

Which is actually a bit slower than I said last night, but I've amended the earlier post.

Sharp eyed readers might have noticed that last night I got the figures the wrong way round. If it's assumed waiting time is the same night and day, then on the night tariff you'll obviously be 'overtaking' the waiting time charge at a slower speed than on the lower day tariff :-s

But have also amended those figures :-o

(At least that's how I think it all works, and of course it may be different in different areas.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:42 pm 

I suspect our LO wont think "the clock" ticks in traffic jams, simply whilst being kept waiting at a pickup..