Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm 

Another long running case that seems to have reached some kind of closure.

Echoes of the Dundee case too - violent kick off, someone intervenes, head hits the pavement...

But at least he didn't die, and the perps are being punished for their misdeeds. Or perhaps 'punishment' isn't quite the right word.

We name vicious teen trio who brutally battered Derby taxi driver

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/d ... ho-3518106

We applied to the court to identify them

Ki Grant-Finlayson, Keenan Carter and Alizsha Diaz (Image: Derby Telegraph/Derbyshire Police)

These three teenage thugs “behaved like a pack of wolves” when they beat up a taxi driver in Derby city centre and left him fighting for his life.

Keenan Carter, Alizsha Diaz and Ki Grant-Finlayson set on Faisal Raja during a fight outside a takeaway in The Morledge.

All three punched and kicked him repeatedly before Carter knocked him unconscious by punching him in the face.

Mr Raja fell to the ground and cracked his head on the pavement. He then spent the next 16 days in a coma and a total of four months in hospital, missing the birth of his daughter.

And in an emotional victim impact statement he told how his “life is black” since the savage assault almost a year ago.

The Derby Telegraph successfully applied to Derby Crown Court to be able to name the two younger teens, Diaz and Grant-Finlayson in the interest of open justice.

'Like a pack of wolves'

Judge Robert Egbuna, who lifted reporting restrictions, jailed Carter, 18, of no fixed address, for three years and nine months.

And he handed Diaz, 17,of Abingdon Street and Grant-Finlayson, 16, of Addison Road, both in Allenton, three-year youth referral orders.

Judge Egbuna said: “You behaved like a pack of wolves when you punched and kicked Mr Raja for absolutely no reason.

“And afterwards you, Mr Grant-Finlayson, were captured on CCTV shadow boxing.

“What a disgrace.

“You have all brought shame on yourselves, your families and the citizens of Derbyshire.

“You, Mr Carter, delivered a blow which caused a very serious injury the effects of which are still ongoing a year later.

“None of you had any business involving yourselves.”

Christopher Jeyes, prosecuting, said the offence took place shortly after 5am on Sunday, November 25.

Pushing and shoving spills onto the pavement

He said two groups, one of which involved Mr Raja’s brother, were involved in an altercation inside the Nazar Grill, in The Morledge.

There was some pushing and shoving which spilled out on to the pavement.

Mr Jeyes said Mr Raja arrived in his taxi and at the same time Carter and the two other teens, who were nothing to do with it, came to see what was happening, having left the Premier Inn across the street.

He said: “Mr Raja gets out of his taxi to see if he can assist and pushes Keenan away from his brother.

“He is then assaulted by all three defendants.

“He stood no chance because he was outnumbered three to one.

“The blows that were struck knocked him to the floor and while down he is punched and kicked repeatedly by all three.

“He manages to get to his feet but Mr Carter punches him to the face which immediately knocks him unconscious.

“Because of that he does nothing to break his fall and his head hits the ground.

“People working inside the takeaway had locked the door said they heard the crack of his head striking the ground.

“They said it was a bad sound.”

Mr Jeyes said that “wasn’t sufficient” for Mr Carter whose scarf had become lodged underneath the unconscious Mr Raj who was lying on the floor.

He said: “He pulled it out with both hands and said to Mr Raja ‘if you mess with us this is what happens to you’.”

Mr Jeyes said Mr Raja was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre, in Nottingham, where he spent 16 days in intensive care being artificially ventilated.

Part of skull removed

He had to undergo surgery to have part of his skull removed to relieve the pressure on his brain.

Mr Raja missed the birth of his daughter as he was in a coma and, after being transferred from the Queen’s Medical Centre to the Royal Derby Hospital, remained there for the next four months.

Image: Derby Telegraph

In a victim impact statement, Mr Raja said: “On my release I have withdrawn socially and initially had to wear a helmet to protect my skull until a metal plate was inserted.

“My life is now black, I cannot drive and therefore have had my employment taken away from me.

“I feel greatly saddened that I missed the birth of my child.

“I still have constant pain to the left side of my head and often experience ‘jelly legs’.

“I have been told my rehabilitation will take at least two years.

“I feel I am missing out on a social life and without the constant support of my wife I do not know what I would have done.”

What was said for the trio?

Carter pleaded guilty to assault occasioning grievous bodily harm while Diaz and Grant-Finlayson pleaded guilty to affray.

Carter also admitted possession with intent to supply class A drugs when police caught him selling heroin and crack cocaine in Derby just over two months after the assault.

Nicoleta Alistari, for Carter, said her client “prays every day” for Mr Raja’s recovery.

She said: “Through nothing but sheer stupidity he got involved in this incident.”

Steve Cobley, for Diaz, said: “He is very sorry for getting involved in this ugly incident of public disorder which was spontaneous and short-lived.”

And Stephen Cooper, for Grant-Finlayson, said: “I had a very emotional conference with him and his family before court today.

“It was his grandmother who said to me ‘he lost his innocence that night’.”

As part of their referral order the two younger teens have been handed electronically-monitored curfews confining them to their home addresses between 7pm and 7am each night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:48 pm 

Quote:
Judge Robert Egbuna, who lifted reporting restrictions, jailed Carter, 18, of no fixed address, for three years and nine months.

And he handed Diaz, 17,of Abingdon Street and Grant-Finlayson, 16, of Addison Road, both in Allenton, three-year youth referral orders.

Well that's them told ](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 pm 

Quote:
“You have all brought shame on yourselves, your families and the citizens of Derbyshire.

I suspect they care little for the shame they have brought to their families, and care f*** all for the good folks of Derbyshire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm 

Quote:

Be nice if Granny could speak about the damage done to the innocent driver.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:02 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Be nice if Granny could speak about the damage done to the innocent driver.

I bet his grandmother said that while having her first spliff of the day while watching Jeremy Kyle.

It's about time these parasites were locked up and taken off the streets. A few months with Leroy widening their bullet holes will stop them committing these horrendous crimes against Cab Drivers.