Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:32 pm 

Sight impaired woman and guide dog refused ride in Worcester taxi

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18 ... ster-taxi/

Image: Worcester News

A SEVERELY sight impaired woman has spoken out after a taxi driver refused to take her because of her guide dog.

Rosie Chandler, 68, attempted to board a minivan at a pick-up point near Cathedral Square, Worcester, with her guide dog Sally and son, Daniel Thompson.

Rosie, of Great Witley, said: “When I go out, I don’t anticipate getting refused travel.

“Having a sight issue is difficult enough without this added stress.”

Rosie was with her son in Worcester when the incident happened last Thursday (November 21).

Daniel pointed out Rosie’s disability and the taxi driver told him he would not take the dog as he did not think it was an assistance dog.

Sally was wearing her full harness and Guide Dog UK branded vest at the time.

Ms Chandler added: “Are taxi drivers being trained correctly and are checks being carried out?”

I’m lucky Daniel was with me - if I was on my own I would have been more worried.”

However, the trio managed to get service with another taxi nearby, travelling to Daniel’s house in St Peters without any further issues.

Daniel Thompson, 45, said: “When I questioned him again he responded by asking why we didn’t take the saloon in front of him, to which I told him his style of vehicle is easier for mum and the dog. He said again he would not take the dog.”

A spokesman for Worcester Taxi Drivers Association said: “Drivers who do this need to have their licences looked at."

A spokesperson for Worcestershire Regulatory Services said: “I can confirm that a formal complaint has now been lodged.

“Officers will be investigating the allegations which have been made, with a view to taking formal action.

“Taxi drivers have a legal responsibility to carry any passengers accompanied by assistance dogs, unless the driver is exempt from doing so on certain medical grounds.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:36 pm 

Quote:
Daniel pointed out Rosie’s disability and the taxi driver told him he would not take the dog as he did not think it was an assistance dog.

Well if it was as per the photo then it should have been obvious that it was an assistance dog.

But looks like the driver just got the hump because the lady didn't want to get into the saloon at the front of the rank, and preferred his 'minivan' (which I think is USA-speak for an MPV/people carrier, or whatever, but certainly a bigger vehicle than a 4-seater saloon).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:15 pm 

Quote:

](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:40 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
what a pillock bye bye badge and it's his own fault

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !