Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm 

If the times are correct then certainly contrasts with yesterday's piece about the grace period in Bradford.

And, yes, we know he isn't a 'taxi' driver :lol:

Taxi driver fined after one minute to help elderly lady in Romsey

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/180122 ... dy-romsey/

Image: Southern Daily Echo

A TAXI driver has been left furious after receiving a parking fine for being pulled over for just one minute to help a “frail” woman.

Victor Isaac, who is a private hire driver, pulled over in The Hundred, Romsey for one minute to help the woman get out of the The Phoenix bar and restaurant.

When he returned to his car, a parking ticket was on his windscreen.

The 51-year-old said: “How are we supposed to help the elderly people who rely on us to get them around?

“I pulled up near delivery vans who had been there longer than I had, I went back outside and they had no ticket.

“The wardens know us, they know what we do – I wouldn’t have been parked there.”

He added: “The warden should not have given me a ticket - I thought we had about a 10 minute grace period.

“I have proof of me getting out the car at 12.18pm and the ticket issued for 12.19pm.

“I will now be scared to get out of my car in case I get a ticket.”

Mr Isaac, from Totton, said he was “so mad” for getting the parking ticket.

He told the Daily Echo will be appealing the parking fine, which was handed out on October 29.

A spokesperson for Test Valley Borough Council said: “Parking restrictions are in place for everyone’s safety and to ensure the flow of traffic is not obstructed.

“These parking restrictions along The Hundred are clearly marked and the ticket was issued in line with the council’s enforcement policy.

“The officer could not have known who was being picked up, from where, or how long the vehicle had been left in this area, which should still remain clear at all times.

“Should the driver feel that there were mitigating circumstances then they have the option to appeal the fine, and this is exactly what this process is in place for.”

Image: Southern Daily Echo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:17 pm 

There's a difference between stopping on a double yellow line (No waiting) and stopping on one with "No Loading/Unloading" cross marks on it, the former you can stop to drop off or pick up a passenger, the latter you cannot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:40 pm 

Karga wrote:
There's a difference between stopping on a double yellow line (No waiting) and stopping on one with "No Loading/Unloading" cross marks on it, the former you can stop to drop off or pick up a passenger, the latter you cannot.

According to the Highway Code you can stop where there are No Loading/Unloading cross marks to pick up/drop passengers. So just the same as standard yellow lines as regards passengers, and presumably the loading prohibition is just added to prevent that sort of thing altogether.

Highway Code wrote:
Yellow marks on the kerb or at the edge of the carriageway indicate that loading or unloading is prohibited at the times shown on the nearby black and white plates. You may stop while passengers board or alight.

It's towards the bottom of the page on this link:

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-markings.html

Anyway, had a look on Streetview :roll: and it looks as if he was parked about three or four car lengths from the Phoenix. So he wasn't near the loading marks in the photo in any case. If you look at the photo there's a Co-op store with a white sign above the windows with green and black lettering on it (level with the big banner and the person walking in the middle of the road). By the looks of it he was parked level with the furthest away half of the shop.

Don't know if this Streetview link will work (looking in the other direction as compared to the photo) but I'd say the rear of his car was roughly where the front of the red van is here, so he was parked between the red van and the white Audi.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECA4QCw

(Link doesn't seem to be reproducing the precise view I wanted, but it's easy to find the red van just beyond the Co-op where it looks like he was parked.)

Reading between the lines I suspect the reason he didn't park outside the Phoenix was because there were two or three vans or other vehicles in front of him. So not beyond the realms of possibility that a warden appeared from the opposite direction, and assumed the PHV was unattended, because the driver had disappeared from view. Sounds unlikely within one minute, but of course even assuming the timings are correct it could have been almost two minutes if his dashcam clocked had just ticked over the minute when the screengrab was taken, and the timer on the ticket machine was just about to tick over to the next minute when the ticket was issued :shock:

And even if there was a gap of a minute and a half (say) between the dashcam shot and the ticket being issued, I suspect he was actually away from the car for several minutes, which is why it looks like he never actually saw the warden.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:07 pm 

Well a bit more detail in the Daily Mail, which has picked up the story :shock:

Seems he came out of the pub when the warden was issuing the ticket, and the bit I've highlighted suggests that he acknowledges that the warden hadn't seen him.

But hopefully justice will be done and the ticket cancelled O:)

Daily Mail wrote:
Mr Isaac said he left the drivers' seat for 'less than 60 seconds' as he waited on double yellow lines 20 yards away from the bar.

Every week he helps the woman, who he says is unsteady on her feet, and takes her on the one-mile trip - but this time it cost him £70.

He said: 'As I came out of The Phoenix bar I could see the warden standing by my car and started to shout to her - I was saying 'I'm coming'.

'When she turned around, she realised I hadn't just left the car there, I was coming back with a customer who needed my help.

'Once they've printed out the ticket they have to issue it and she just left.

'But she took a bit of abuse from people on the pavement. One person said, "shame on you".'

Private hire driver Mr Isaac, from Totton, near Southampton, said the female warden 'should be more sensitive to these things'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:43 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
What about the 10 minutes they are supposed to give you to move your vehicle ?

Our local wardens are trained to wait a few minutes before issuing the ticket. except on the taxi rank and even then they will ask people to move

and it is only £70 if you don't pay up straight away :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:59 pm 

Taxi driver who received parking ticket hits out at council

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/180738 ... s-council/

A TAXI driver has hit out at the council following a letter he received when appealing his parking ticket.

Victor Isaac, who is a private hire driver, pulled over in The Hundred, Romsey for one minute to help a "frail" woman get out of the The Phoenix bar and restaurant.

When he returned to his car, a parking ticket was on his windscreen.

Now, Test Valley Borough Council have cancelled his parking ticket but issued Mr Isaac a letter which states: "Where there are yellow lines you may stop while passengers board, but online :-s for so long as is necessary for the passenger to get in or out of the vehicle.

"There is no exemption to leave the vehicle unattended, for example to assist a passenger to or from a building.

"If in the future you are transporting a passenger who needs assistance in getting to or from your vehicle, meaning that it would be necessary to leave it unattended, you should ensure that your vehicle is parked in accordance with any parking restrictions in force.

The 51-year-old said: "It is a small victory for common sense.

"My recommendation for them to perhaps issue a 10 minute badge for a dash board have been rejected and been told that any passengers needing assistance must sadly have to make this walk from a legal parking.

"Essentially what TVBC is saying between the lines is that I have to make a judgement call in whether I take a risk to help out a person who needs assistance by leaving my vehicle to get them into where they need to go."

He added: "Such a simple solution is rejected which shows that TVBC is not in tune with the elderly and their requirements.

"A little disc that I put on my dash that indicates I am helping a passengers is not too much to ask but it seems so."

He appealed his parking ticket which he received back in October.

Mr Isaac, from Totton, added: "I will still be helping my older passengers as they should never be discriminated against because they are old or disabled."

A council spokesperson, said: “The primary purpose of implementing and enforcing parking restrictions is to ensure the safe flow of traffic to protect both road users and pedestrians. Our enforcement officers issue tickets for the safety of the public and do listen to explanations for each ticket. They are simply doing their jobs.

“Our civil enforcement officer would not have known at the point at which they observed an unattended car in an instant ticket zone, that the driver was assisting an elderly passenger. The area is clearly marked with double yellow lines and a no-waiting and no-loading restriction."

The council also stated, similar to the letter, you cannot leave your vehicle in double-yellow line areas and if the passenger is disabled, they may give their blue badge to the taxi driver to use disable spaces.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm 

[quote=""]

"A little disc that I put on my dash that indicates I am helping a passengers is not too much to ask but it seems so."

I can see it now, a whole line of empty P/H vehicles outside greggs at 10am with little discs on the dash!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm 

If the passenger needs assistance to get to and from wherever then maybe they should have an assistant with them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
If the passenger needs assistance to get to and from wherever then maybe they should have an assistant with them.

and therein lies the problem they use taxis because they can't afford or get care assistance from a voluntary organisation/social services

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 pm 

Quote:
"There is no exemption to leave the vehicle unattended, for example to assist a passenger to or from a building.

Idiots.

Do delivery drivers stay with their vehicles and throw their goods into the shops/building?