Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:07 pm 

Doubt if a 63-plate former taxi with no doubt intergalactic mileage is worth very much, but looks like a generous gesture nonetheless =D>

Sort of car that could easily cost a bomb in repair bills, or could give a few years' service at minimal expense. Let's hope it's the latter [-o<

Inverness family given free car by taxi firm

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/new ... rm-188726/

Image: Inverness Courier

A Culloden mother has promised to learn to drive in the new year after she was given the keys to a car by Inverness Taxis.

The MacLennan family, of Fir Place, was nominated for the prize through the firm’s social media channels by people who felt they deserved the life-changing Christmas present.

Inverness Taxis had previously announced their wish to see the vehicle – and a host of other free treats – go to a local family in need.

Tragically Sara and Paul MacLennan lost their 20-month-old daughter last month to cancer and were overwhelmed by the gesture.

Mrs MacLennan, a 33-year-old former dinner lady, said it was nice to know that people had been thinking of them and added: “I couldn’t believe it – stuff like that doesn’t normally happen to us. I am very grateful for it. It’s a nice thing to do at this time of year.”

Their daughter, Jessi Jean, died at Glasgow’s Royal Hospital For Children on November 25 after a short battle with kidney cancer.

Image: Inverness Courier

Mrs MacLennan said learning to drive was something she had been meaning to do for a while and added: “It’s something to focus on – it will keep me busy.”

As well as the former taxi, a Peugeot Partner, the family were given a turkey hamper, tickets for this year’s Eden Court panto, Beauty and the Beast, and also a family pass for Landmark forest adventure park in Carrbridge.

Mrs MacLennan said her two children, 11-year-old Aidan and eight-year-old Lacey, would appreciate the tickets. She added it was a nice way to remember Jessi Jean.

Mr MacLennan said he was surprised when he heard they had won and added: “I didn’t even know they’d nominated us. It’s really good that businesses are doing things like this.”

Gavin Johnston, the managing director of the taxi firm, said he hoped the vehicle gave them some enjoyment and added: “To be honest I don’t feel it is much considering what they have gone through.”

The idea to give away the car, which was being retired from taxi duty, came after the business enjoyed a good year and the drivers wanted to give something back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:24 pm 

It is a very good gesture.

Well done to the firm and I hope 2020 is much better than 2019 for those receiving the ex cab.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:57 am 

Meant to say that, although 63-plate isn't particularly old at seven years or so, it's done in excess of 230,000 miles, presumably most or all of it as a cab.

And has needed a fair bit of work done for MoTs, although it was just MoTd a week or two before the donation was made =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:25 pm 

Good on them, a nice gesture.