Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:46 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It's a while since i last drove through Leicester can anyone remember how Leicester word their bus lanes as I have just received a penalty charge against one of my drivers and I'm fairly sure it just says taxi so am thinking about appealing against the penalty

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:53 pm 

edders23 wrote:
It's a while since i last drove through Leicester can anyone remember how Leicester word their bus lanes as I have just received a penalty charge against one of my drivers and I'm fairly sure it just says taxi so am thinking about appealing against the penalty

Only TAXIS(hackney carriages) along with buses and cyclists can use bus lanes in Leicester.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:38 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Have you a road and we can check street view?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Humberstone road and I've looked it appears to be just a pictogram style sign and the bumpf which came with it just says the wording of the TRO is licensed hackney carriage vehicles so am thinking that it doesn't specifically say Leicester hackney vehicles only

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:20 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Humberstone road and I've looked it appears to be just a pictogram style sign and the bumpf which came with it just says the wording of the TRO is licensed hackney carriage vehicles so am thinking that it doesn't specifically say Leicester hackney vehicles only

If it doesn't specify local or Leicester taxis, and you are a licensed taxi from elsewhere, then I would ask exactly what offence is being alleged.

Defo appeal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 pm 

To get the wording right, get over to www.pepipoo.com and let them help you. They may also advise how to get the footage on the infringement from the LA for checking the facts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 pm 

edders23 wrote:

This is the only sign I can find, and certainly nothing to suggest only local 'taxis'.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.64062 ... 312!8i6656

They may have a numberplate database of local HCs which will automatically exempt them, but the cameras would just treat an HC from another area as a normal car - they won't have every UK HC in their database.

Sure I've read an article or two on here about bus lane tickets issued in error because the exemption database is incomplete, so should be easy enough to appeal 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:26 pm 

Any vehicle that is not on the city council database will get a ticket. All you have to do is send in your appeal with a copy of the vehicle license to show that it is a hackney carriage and they will cancel the charge and add your vehicle to the exempt list. If your council can be bothered to send the city council a list of all their hackneys then they will be added to the list.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 am 

A taxi is a taxi is a hackney carriage, regardless of where it is licenced.

The word "local" used on bus lane signs only applies to buses operating on registered local bus services, which can also included express coaches on regular services. It doesn't apply to hackney carriages.

Have a look in Traffic Signs Road General Directions (TSRGD) for the legalities.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:04 am 

From TSRGD

In Section 1 "taxis" are "hackney carriages". No mention of locally-licenced taxis.

9 BUS LANES AND GATES 9.1 General
9.1.1. This section describes bus lanes and gates that use prescribed signs, i.e. facilities
for buses, cyclists, taxis and solo motor cycles. Where certain vehicles, such as private hire vehicles (minicabs), are permitted to use a facility, [b]this is indicated by the legend “authorised vehicles”. Where other vehicles such as heavy goods vehicles are to be admitted, the signs will require authorisation and guidance should be sought from the national authority. Working drawings for some non‐prescribed signs, including those for bus lanes that may be used by heavy goods vehicles, and those for high‐occupancy vehicle lanes, are available on request from the Department.
[/b]
9.1.2. A bus lane is mandatory and requires an order which prohibits other vehicles from using that part of the carriageway while the lane is in operation. It may be either a with‐flow lane or,
in a one‐way road, a contraflow lane. The latter must be operational at all times, but a with‐flow bus lane may operate for only part of the day. With‐flow bus lanes on the left hand side of the carriageway are usually available to both buses and pedal cycles; it is not considered safe to force cyclists to use the general traffic lane where they would be confined between two streams of motor traffic. There might, however, be situations where a with‐flow lane leads directly to
a bus‐only facility that is not available to pedal cycles (e.g. a bus‐only gate or the entrance to
a bus station). In these circumstances, where the bus lane excludes cyclists, the regulatory upright traffic sign will need authorisation by the national authority. Where permitted by the order, taxis (hackney carriages), solo motor cycles and authorised vehicles may use a with‐flow bus lane as appropriate. A contraflow bus lane is generally used by buses only, but pedal cycles may also use the lane where permitted by the order.
9.1.3. The Regulations permit signs to be varied to indicate centre or off side with‐flow lanes. Where these are not appropriate for use by pedal cycles, as with nearside lanes the upright regulatory sign will need to be authorised. Centre or off side with‐flow lanes are likely to be used as a lead‐in to a bus gate at junction ahead (see 9.3.9). Where an off‐side lane is provided in
a two‐way road, it should generally be separated from the opposing flow of traffic by a solid island or hatch markings to diagram 1040 (S11‐4‐23) where the boundary line is formed by the marking to diagram 1049A (S9‐6‐11, see 9.3.2 and Chapter 5). Contraflow lanes, in the direction of travel along the lane, should always be on the nearside.
9.1.4. Bus‐only streets and bus gates are lengths of road or parts of a road where access is restricted to buses, although sometimes other vehicles such as pedal cycles, solo motor cycles, taxis and trams are also admitted.
9.1.5. Bus lanes and bus gates may be surfaced in coloured material in order to demarcate them more emphatically and to discourage encroachment by motor vehicles. However, coloured surfacing has no legal significance; it is the prescribed traffic signs and road markings that establish the legal status of a bus facility.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:24 pm 

Taxi means taxi unless it specifically says local taxis.As advised ,appeal it sending them a copy of your paper license .the camera is automated,you are not on their database.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:15 pm 

rayggb wrote:
Taxi means taxi unless it specifically says local taxis.As advised ,appeal it sending them a copy of your paper license .the camera is automated,you are not on their database.

There is not such a thing as a local TAXI,all TAXIS are allowed to use bus lanes if the sign displays the word "TAXI"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:26 pm 

heathcote wrote:
rayggb wrote:

There is not such a thing as a local TAXI,all TAXIS are allowed to use bus lanes if the sign displays the word "TAXI"

Unless the Secretary of State has approved a special sign saying, for example, 'local taxis only.'

We are likely to be having this with Southampton CC in the next few months. It could be interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:57 am 

But then it also has to define what a local taxi is. Local buses are clearly defined in the legislation, there is no primary legislation for the definition of a local taxi, and as we've discussed elsewhere on here, a local authority cannot have a "law" that is more restrictive than national law.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:03 am 

I vaugley remember Nottingham having local taxi signs but can't remember what it said (on bus lanes).