Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm 

Landlords at Angel pub in Purton offer free 'taxi' rides home for customers

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... customers/

Image: Swindon Advertiser

DRINKERS at a Purton pub have a licence to enjoy themselves a little more and get home safely after the landlords bought a pair of taxis.

Bianca Wilson and Darren Turner who run the Angel have pledged to ensure customers are ferried home at no charge every Friday and Saturday evening from 10.30pm.

Bianca explained: “Customers make their way out to us in Purton, but obviously it’s a little bit away from Swindon. After 10.30 pm if they need a lift back home or wherever they need to go we will drop them off free of charge.

“The reason we do that is because we get a lot of customers come out here who wish to come here more but the taxi on their way home costs them a lot.

“For instance, it can be £15 each way, so they’ve spent £30 before they even start their night.

“Anyone can use this service within 10 miles radius, including Wroughton, Tadpole, Swindon, Royal Wootton Bassett, and Cricklade.”

They launched the new service last week and hope it will attract more customers.

“It will definitely increase the number of our customers, and we got a very good response on Facebook,” said Bianca. “We only advertised it last week but lots of people are now coming in because they’ve heard about it and they want to come in and see what it is all about.”

The pair bought the two taxis online and paid £3,000 for each. They can both take five people at a time.

Image: Swindon Advertiser

Bianca said: “At the moment we don’t have a specific amount of people but if it starts to get really mad, maybe we will start buying more taxis, we just want to see how it goes at the moment.

“We do pick up from Swindon at Clifton to bring out to Purton.”

The two business owners do not hire drivers.

Bianca said: “Darren and I are the drivers. There is no hire and reward. It’s not technically a taxi service, it is just a lift home, free of charge at the end of the night.

“It’s not different from using a normal car. We have public liability and correct insurance in place.”

Bianca hopes this will prevent car accidents after a night out.

She said: “I think it will improve the safety of our customers as it will hopefully stop people from drink driving.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm 

Quote:
Bianca said: “Darren and I are the drivers. There is no hire and reward. It’s not technically a taxi service, it is just a lift home, free of charge at the end of the night.

Obviously hasn't read the case law :-s

Quote:
“It’s not different from using a normal car. We have public liability and correct insurance in place.”

Presumably the insurer doesn't know the case law either :-s

Quote:

Bianca said: “Darren and I are the drivers."

Quite apart from the licensing angle, somehow I don't think it's a good idea Bianca offering pished-up blokes a free ride home :-s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 pm 

Quote:

So if a van pulls up outside their pub and starts offering free beer it's fine as it's not technically a pub.

Why are these people so f***ing thick?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:06 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

So if a van pulls up outside their pub and starts offering free beer it's fine as it's not technically a pub.

It's the obverse :shock: of those licensed vehicles offering 'free bubbly', or whatever. They still need a liquor licence?

Think there's probably a few cases on here (stretch limos?) but can't find any offhand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:20 pm 

This is the case that says offering free rides home (and it appears to from the article) is 100% illegal.

ROUT v SWALLOW HOTELS LTD

Bit of a read that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am 

Yes, that'sTHE case law in that matter as far as I can see. there's also the "pink ladies" case listed on here somewhere.

The Rout case makes an interesting read, in a nutshell, a hotel had a couple of coaches to take customers home, no O licences or anything else. It was found that the coaches were being paid for by part of the revenue from the menu was used to pay for the coaches, therefore they were not free but were being used for hire and reward even though they were only for hotel customers. You had to eat at the hotel to use the "free" service. Therefore it was not free.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the question is does the local LO know enough to do anything about it

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm 

edders23 wrote:

The local trade should ensure they do and be seen to be doing something about it.The licencees of this pub are by operating this unlicensed service are implying that they are also "not fit and proper person" to hold alcohol licenses of any description.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm 

edders23 wrote:

I would be amazed if the LO hasn't been inundated with emails and calls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:59 pm 

For an outlay of £6,000 (most of which they’ll be able to recoup by reselling them) It’s gave them great publicity, even more so when they have to curtail it due to jealous Taxis/ph, and over zealous council officials. (or am I being too cynical?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 am 

It's a bit like some kebab delivery drivers round my way giving kebab customers a "lift home" on a regular basis. Not licenced and not insured.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:41 am 

roythebus wrote:
It's a bit like some kebab delivery drivers round my way giving kebab customers a "lift home" on a regular basis. Not licenced and not insured.

Well do something about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:07 am 

roythebus wrote:

I reported the same thing to our LO a few years ago and they, and the committee at the time, didn't believe that such things were happening. However they did write to all the takeaways and warn them. I think it worked to an extent because I have not heard any complaints for a while although there is one indian takeaway in town that has a Charnwood plated hack car outside and the driver works inside and he is often seen doing deliveries with other people in the car.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 pm 

The cost of running/maintaining tx2's will soon put a stop to it(load of crap)!