Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:55 am 

Thread title slightly tongue-in-cheek, of course, and the Uber stuff probably of more interest to the average reader :-o

Taxis in Stevenage fail basic standards during spot checks

https://www.thecomet.net/motoring/taxis ... -1-6347468

A spot check of taxis in Stevenage found more than a third failed basic standards, with one car even deemed unfit to be a taxi.

Stevenage Borough Council's licensing officers teamed up with officers from Transport for London's Taxi and Private Hire Compliance Service to stop taxis - including Uber cabs - in the town centre to carry out compliance checks in a bid to ensure all licensed drivers and vehicles are safe.

Of the 28 taxis checked, 10 failed basic standards.

Serious faults were recorded for two of the 13 Uber taxis that were stopped.

Licensing officers deemed one Uber vehicle unfit to be a taxi and said it must pass an MOT before being permitted to be used again.

The other serious contravention was an Uber driver being unable to provide proof of valid insurance, which was corrected the same day.

One Uber driver was not wearing a licence badge, which licensing officers deemed a minor defect.

A total of 15 Stevenage licensed hackney carriage vehicles and their drivers were checked, with seven minor defects found, which were corrected at the time or shortly afterwards.

One driver did not have his internal licence on display, two did not have a copy of the licence conditions available, and one driver was not wearing his licence badge and his vehicle's roof light was not working.

Two further taxis did not have working roof lights and another vehicle had one tyre near to the legal minimum tread depth.

Councillor Jackie Hollywell, portfolio holder for communities, community safety and equalities at Stevenage Borough Council, said: "Most people are not aware of the different standards expected of taxis or taxi drivers licensed by different authorities, and that not all drivers or vehicles face the same safeguarding or safety checks.

"In Stevenage, all of our drivers and vehicles are checked and meet the highest standards, and interventions like these targeting our taxis and those of Transport for London highlight the importance we place in making sure all of our residents are safe.

"Our licensing officers regularly inspect all of our taxis, and I would encourage people to use our cabs over those from other areas - especially if their standards do not match ours."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:59 am 

Quote:
One Uber driver was not wearing a licence badge, which licensing officers deemed a minor defect.

Good to know they didn't hang him from the nearest lamppost :x

Quote:
Two further taxis did not have working roof lights and another vehicle had one tyre near to the legal minimum tread depth.

Next they'll be reporting that they found cars driving close to the speed limit, or that they found 12v sockets not working.

But of course all this kind of stuff makes it *sound* like they're doing their jobs, even though it might just happen once in a blue moon :-|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:48 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Next they'll be reporting that they found cars driving close to the speed limit, or that they found 12v sockets not working.

But of course all this kind of stuff makes it *sound* like they're doing their jobs, even though it might just happen once in a blue moon :-|

No mention of the driver who was sent home for wearing a loud shirt in a built up area?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

No mention of the driver who was sent home for wearing a loud shirt in a built up area?

they didn't want to embarrass him

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Stevenage Borough Council's licensing officers teamed up with officers from Transport for London's Taxi and Private Hire Compliance Service to stop taxis - including Uber cabs - in the town centre to carry out compliance checks in a bid to ensure all licensed drivers and vehicles are safe.

Serious faults were recorded for two of the 13 Uber taxis that were stopped.

Just noticed on reading that other stuff on Stevenage that in this earlier article I managed to repeat the same two paragraphs twice.

Which isn't really that unusual, but because of that I managed to miss out the most important part of the article regarding the most serious faults. Which is why my earlier version included the stuff about unlit rooflights and drivers not wearing their badges, but not why one of the Uber cars was taken off the road :oops:

The Stevenage Comet wrote:
Licensing officers deemed one Uber vehicle unfit to be a taxi and said it must pass an MOT before being permitted to be used again.

The other serious contravention was an Uber driver being unable to provide proof of valid insurance, which was corrected the same day.

Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but it happens mainly when I copy different sections of an article from a newspaper's website, because they're separated on the page by adverts, photos and all kind of other internet malarkey.

But sometimes it doesn't actually copy the latest section of text, so when I try to paste it on here the last section copied is pasted again instead, so you end up repeating the same text, as happened above :roll:

Normally I would notice, but obviously didn't on this occasion #-o

Don't know what it is, precisely, but think it's a combination of my ancient, clogged up laptop, and these similarly clogged up newspaper websites, and it's like working in treacle at times. Sometimes I have to do the copy/paste thing several times on the same piece of text before it will work :roll:

It's like that wee 'View more smilies' pop-up on this site, which often takes several minutes to appear when I click it. I think my record is about five or six minutes, during which time the whole window is frozen, so I can't actually do anything else with the post while waiting ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm 

Anyway, I've corrected the original article to include the missing text, just in case someone decides to read it in twenty years time, or whatever =D>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 pm 

Quote:
But sometimes it doesn't actually copy the latest section of text, so when I try to paste it on here the last section copied is pasted again instead, so you end up repeating the same text, as happened above :roll:

Nope just you. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Nope just you. :shock:

Think it's probably for the same reason the 'View more smilies' pop-up on here can take several minutes to appear - the command isn't responded to for some time.

So I assume I've copied something, but when I paste it the last thing I've copied appears, rather than what I *think* has been copied :-s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 pm 

Quote:
So I assume I've copied something, but when I paste it the last thing I've copied appears, rather than what I *think* has been copied

Just think if you have written that 30 years ago folks would have thought you was stark raving bonkers. :D