Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FAO Chris the fish
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
On another forum (not taxi related) just seen someone comment that almost all taxi drivers in plymouth are Romanian

I know there were a few but are they cabbies or PH and what are the percentages so i can put him right ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: FAO Chris the fish
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:48 pm 

There are a lot of Romanian Taxi Drivers. I presume there are a lot of Romanian PH Drivers too, but I don't interact with PH very much.

I don't have a clue what sort of percentages are in either trade.

I have quite a few Taxi Driver Romanian friends. They are generally helpful and polite, offer assistance to passengers and acquit themselves well. Most speak very good English (though there are a few exceptions).

My choice of Taxi last night for myself and 5 of my family was driven by a Romanian. Hi English is so good he has more than a passing knowledge of Cockney Rhyming Slang!

A freedom of information request from Plymouth City Council might elicit the figures you want, or you could trawl through here https://licensing.plymouth.gov.uk/1/WcaHome and try to work out which are Romanian.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 pm 

thanks chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:34 pm 

Don’t think we have any Romanian Hackney drivers here in Chester, we had quite a few polish, then a few Bulgarians, then a few Kurdish. Now there seems to be quite a few Turkish joining us. Most have pretty good English and are decent people, there are a few exceptions, a certain Egyptian who really is a nasty licence of work, I can’t even look at him without wanting to smack him! :doubt:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 pm 

We have Sundanese, Polish, Afghans, Arabs, Bangladeshis, Romanians, Albanians and a few more I can't recant at the mo.

We had a German once but he went back for some reason. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm 

We have a few English.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 am 

Interesting comment on the newspaper's website below the recent news article about the unlicensed driver from Derby:

Quote:
Meant as a non-racist comment, why is it that every taxi driver in Derby, in Sheffield, in Rotherham, in Doncaster, in Leicester etc, is Asian? Is there a stigma attached to that occupation, do eastern Europeans that have come to live in this city not like that sort of work? Because it is generallly self-employment I would expect lots of people emigrating here would first look to be a taxi driver, an easy first job, but it doesn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:24 am 

StuartW wrote:
Interesting comment on the newspaper's website below the recent news article about the unlicensed driver from Derby:

Quote:
Meant as a non-racist comment, why is it that every taxi driver in Derby, in Sheffield, in Rotherham, in Doncaster, in Leicester etc, is Asian? Is there a stigma attached to that occupation, do eastern Europeans that have come to live in this city not like that sort of work? Because it is generallly self-employment I would expect lots of people emigrating here would first look to be a taxi driver, an easy first job, but it doesn't happen.

As somebody who has a number of Asian drivers working for them I do partially understand why that's the case

The biggest reason is that Asians prefer to work where they are in the majority and because they work on the pot system tend not to mind sitting around and earning very little. Eastern Europeans also like to work where there are lots of their fellow countrymen but are grafters and want to earn lots of money to buy cars clothes holidays etc. so if there are lots already there many will follow but quite often white English nationals feel uncomfortable working with Asians so our trade is left to them

To a lesser extent Asians don't want to be governed by our laws and rules so if they are working where they are amongst family and friends feel comfortable overcharging trying it on with girls etc. because no muslim would ever get a fellow muslim into trouble by reporting them but if a non muslim did something like stick a plate in their back window or get a scratch on their car the council would know in minutes

They like to stick together because that makes their lives easier as they all cover each others back

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:01 pm 

From experience the transport market in some places in Asia is massive.

And mostly it's for peanuts. Which is why maybe they find our rates far more attractive and stay in the trade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:17 pm 

Here we have quite a few East Europeans from various countries. Think their numbers/proportion generally static for a few years now.

Increasing numbers of Asians, now, specifically Turks, I think, but of course there's always been a big debate about whether Turkey is an Asian or European country.

Also a few from oddball countries like Morocco.

Funny thing, though, can only think of one offhand that would traditionally be classed as Asian in the UK, ie with Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Indian heritage. He's Indian, apparently, but to be honest when he first appeared I thought he was the first Afro-Caribbean* driver here :oops:

Can't provide chapter and verse on the ethnic origin of drivers here, though, and indeed probably ill-advised to look into such matters too closely 8-[

*And while on the topic, why so few Afro-Caribbean drivers in the trade?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:38 am 

Quote:
And while on the topic, why so few Afro-Caribbean drivers in the trade?

in my experience they generally don't like our trade because it isn't big money and long hours they like "big bucks" jobs like the building trades, drug dealing, Driving trains etc.