Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm 

The SNP doesnt have a seat majority in the Scottish parliament..

If they leave the UK then Boris would have an extra 50 seat majority

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:42 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
wannabeeahack wrote:

Eh :?:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:34 pm 

edders23 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

In the Scottish parliament the SNP have 62 seats and the rest have 67 between them.
There are 59 MPs from Scotland in parliament so if Scotland became independent then because the vast majority are from the SNP the Tory majority would be far higher than it is now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 pm 

edders23 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Quite clear.

The SNP have 62 out of the 129 MSPs.

If Scotland left the UK so would the 59 MPs, of which only 6 are Tory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Quite clear.

The SNP have 62 out of the 129 MSPs.

If Scotland left the UK so would the 59 MPs, of which only 6 are Tory.

The point I was making somewhat briefly is it doesn't matter all that matters is the SNP form the Scottish government as long as you have enough seats and backers that's all that matters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 am 

Sussex wrote:
It was mentioned in the House of Commons, so it must be correct, that during the recent General Election SNP activists were telling voters that the election wasn't about Independence, it was about Brexit.

Clearly the SNP aren't as trustworthy as they would like us to believe.

Correct, and presumably you didn't read what I posted above about that in mid-December [-(

Quote:
Sturgeon and the SNP downplayed independence during the election campaign and made it more about stopping Brexit :lol:

Now they're claiming Thursday's vote gave them a mandate for another referendum on independence :roll:

I'm pretty sure Sturgeon doesn't actually want an independence referendum at the moment, because she knows it can't be won. But she also knows Boris won't allow one, so she pretends she wants one just to keep stirring things up and create division.

A lot of the hardcore Scottish nationalists have now come to the same conclusion, and are effectively accusing Sturgeon of treachery.

Nicola Sturgeon drops call for second Scottish independence vote because she knows voters hate it

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10518284/ ... op-brexit/

NICOLA Sturgeon has stopped mentioning a second Scottish independence vote — because the plan bombs with voters.

The SNP leader has switched her message to halting Brexit in a last-ditch bid to woo Remainers.

But I see my link to Sturgeon's Brexit bus is now broken, so here's another one:

Bottom line is that they/she'll say whatever they think will win them independence.

Anyway, the front page below is this morning's scandal, but the likes of this won't even touch the opinion polls.

Mackay is the finance minister in the Scottish Parliament, thus effectively our chancellor, and widely tipped as a replacement for Nicola Sturgeon :roll:

Or at least he was finance minister last night :badgrin:

He was due to deliver his Budget speech later today, but that might now prove difficult :-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:15 am 

Edders wrote:
deep down the SNP want Brexit because then they can promise the people of Scotland that they will rejoin the EU as an independent nation

Correct, at least insofar as they'll say whatever they think it will take to achieve independence.

Won't bore you with the details, but there was a huge hoohah in the run up to the 2014 referendum about an iScotland and EU membership. Of course, the SNP claimed that iScotland would just breeze back into the EU, in fact there were some claims that we'd never have to actually leave the EU in the first place, and would automatically rejoin as an iScotland :roll:

But although the SNP didn't want an iScotland to leave the EU, on the other hand they were quite willing to entertain the possibility that we'd be out of the EU, for a few years at least.

And how easy or difficult it would be for an iScotland to rejoin the EU is obviously an ongoing topic up here - of course, the SNP claim it would be plain sailing, but I suspect it would take years.

Most obviously, EU membership would probably require a commitment to join the €, but in the short-term would probably require a new Scottish currency for membership. But they know a new Scottish currency isn't a good sell for independence, so they say they'll continue to use sterling. But I don't think you can join the EU while using another country's currency (particularly as that other country is not now an EU member :-o ).

So very tricky for the SNP, and even some Europhiles in the party are effectively saying that EU membership would be off the agenda for years.

As is IndyRef2, effectively, for the above reasons, and a whole host of others. Just the other day one of Sturgeon's former advisers said that a referendum is effectively off the agenda until a Labour government in Westminster :lol:

As I've said, I don't really think Sturgeon would go for Inyref2 right now, even if Boris granted one.

But he won't, and Sturgeon just bluffs and blusters whatever she thinks suits her purpose. Take everything she says with a huge pinch of salt [-(

Edders wrote:
The point I was making somewhat briefly is it doesn't matter all that matters is the SNP form the Scottish government as long as you have enough seats and backers that's all that matters

Correct, at least insofar as the SNP can generally rely on the six Green MSPs to vote with them, and the Greens are also hardcore independence supporters.

But the Scottish Parliament is about as useful as the EU parliament, so effectively a talking shop and gravy train.

Possibly the most important time for the Green vote is when the SNP rely on them to support the Budget, and the SNP normally throw them a few tree-hugging crumbs to secure their votes.

What'll happen to the Budget today after last night's revelations about finance secretary Derek Mackay is anyone's guess, though. But I'm stocking up on popcorn :D

And the Alex Salmond trial takes place next month :-"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:59 am 

StuartW wrote:

What'll happen to the Budget today after last night's revelations about finance secretary Derek Mackay is anyone's guess, though. But I'm stocking up on popcorn :D

Looks like he has resigned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm 

How stupid can anyone get in respect of the SNP's ex Chancellor?

And to think he was being lined up to replace the current leader in due course. #-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 pm 

Quote:
As is IndyRef2, effectively, for the above reasons, and a whole host of others. Just the other day one of Sturgeon's former advisers said that a referendum is effectively off the agenda until a Labour government in Westminster :lol:

Methinks the good folks of Scotland can sleep well in the safe knowledge that ain't happening for at least another 10 years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 am 

grandad wrote:
StuartW wrote:

Looks like he has resigned.

Indeed, and looks like Sturgeon allowed him to resign rather than sacking him, which has come in for some criticism.

Anyway, it's all coming out now:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:27 pm 

I thought being gay or a letch was a job requirement in Scottish politics :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:14 am 

Edders wrote:
I thought being gay or a letch was a job requirement in Scottish politics :lol:

They certainly seem to be overrepresented in Scottish politics - even Ukip's Scottish leader at one point was gay :-s

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gay ... ty-leader/

Stuart wrote:
Indeed, and looks like Sturgeon allowed him to resign rather than sacking him, which has come in for some criticism.

Thought that was all about politics and presentation, etc, but it seems he gets a £12,000 'resettlement grant' if he jumped rather than was pushed :roll:

So it *was* all about politics, but even more cynical and self-serving politics than I was thinking of :x

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 am 

15 months ago, Sussex wrote:
It was mentioned in the House of Commons, so it must be correct, that during the recent General Election SNP activists were telling voters that the election wasn't about Independence, it was about Brexit.

Clearly the SNP aren't as trustworthy as they would like us to believe.

Same old, same old.

Last time Brexit, this time it was about free bicycles and Nicola guiding us through the pandemic :-s

Now they've won, it's a mandate for independence [-(

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:24 pm 

this guy is well worth a watch he seems to be right on the money on a lot of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-Vf0Nz6AE