Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:36 am 

](*,)

There's another thread on this topic, obviously, which deals with the financials etc.

But this one seems to go off on a bit of a tangent, and gets a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

Don't know if this guy is spouting any old nonsense so he can get his one-year badge, or if he just doesn't get it, or what :-s

'I can't carry on driving my taxi' - concern over taxi licence policy

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18244307 ... ce-policy/

A TAXI driver with a serious health condition has supported calls for the local authority to reverse its policy on three-year licences.

John McDonald is among drivers in Barrow who say they are angered at having to pay for new three-year licences when they only plan on staying in the trade for one year before they retire.

The 65-year-old has lung condition Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and says his health will not be up to driving his taxi for more than a year.

The A1 driver said: “I’m not going to be driving until I’m 69.

“I want a 12-month licence, not a three-year one.

“My health is going to get worse and I’m not going to be well enough for taxiing - it would be a risk to me and a risk to the public.

“What if something happens while I’m driving with someone in the car?

“I can’t guarantee that I’m going to be fit enough.”

Mr McDonald, who lives in Ocean Road on Walney, said he has had COPD for eight years.

“I can’t face another winter driving my taxi," he said.

Barrow Council has addressed concerns over the three-year licence which has become standard issue for many authorities across the country.

A three-year licence also works out cheaper than for just one year.

Councillor Tony Callister, spokesman for licensing and public protection, said: “It is a legal requirement for all drivers of taxis and private hire vehicles to obtain a licence to operate. This is to ensure the safety of passengers and other road users.

“Since 2015, licenses are granted for a period of three years which is not only good value for drivers, but offers them a more streamlined and efficient application and approval process.

“A phased implementation was introduced and our current policy is to issue three year licences, in the absence of any other limitation that would cause the Council to issue a shorter duration licence.

“It is also in line with many other local authorities across the country which have already adopted this process.”

Post subject: Re: barrow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am 

Quote:
“My health is going to get worse and I’m not going to be well enough for taxiing - it would be a risk to me and a risk to the public.

“What if something happens while I’m driving with someone in the car?

“I can’t guarantee that I’m going to be fit enough.”

He makes it sound like if he gets a three-year badge then he has to drive for another three years :roll:

And I suspect any passenger reading that would be worried about safety as things stand, never mind when his one-year badge was about to expire.

In fact sounds like he's about to 'expire' :badgrin:

And while he's driving for A1 Taxis, that doesn't sound like a good description of his health [-(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:13 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
If he's only 65 he's had a hard life :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 pm 

Not exactly selling the trade to the public.

I suspect he knows he won't pass another medical.

Maybe he needs to pack up now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Maybe he's been told, effectively, or concluded himself, that he wouldn't be granted a three-year badge because of his condition, which is presumably progressive, but he'd be given a one-year one, if it was available.

But I don't know how these things work in each council. I mean, presumably a sensible council would grant him a three-year badge if that's all they issued, but conditional on an annual medical?

Just like our three-year plates here are conditional on passing they annual council vehicle inspection.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:42 am 

StuartW wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Maybe he's been told, effectively, or concluded himself, that he wouldn't be granted a three-year badge because of his condition, which is presumably progressive, but he'd be given a one-year one, if it was available.

But I don't know how these things work in each council. I mean, presumably a sensible council would grant him a three-year badge if that's all they issued, but conditional on an annual medical?

Just like our three-year plates here are conditional on passing they annual council vehicle inspection.

Once you are 65 it is mandatory to have an annual medical here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:05 pm 

grandad wrote:
Once you are 65 it is mandatory to have an annual medical here.

One thing's for sure now, even if he's granted a three-year badge, with this splattered all over the press there's no way he'll be able to avoid annual medicals. Or even more regular checks :-|

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 am 

edders23 wrote:
If he's only 65 he's had a hard life :wink:

You've never had COPD or known someone who's suffered with it? My dad had and died of COPD due to working down the coal mines, he died at 68 but he looked 98 when he took his last breath.

You need to think a little before you start pounding away at your keyboard.