Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:30 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Some retailers have started refusing to accept cash and are insisting on card only. i have just been told by a local petrol station that from Monday they will be card only and Morrisons have started closing all but the card only petrol pumps at night time

I really don't see why this is necessary people can wear gloves and wash their hands regularly but I am worried that I am going to get loaded down with change which I can't use or bank and am going to have major problems as a result

This is a problem I hadn't anticipated is anyone else coming across this ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:41 pm 

Nothing to stop you going card only.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Some retailers have started refusing to accept cash and are insisting on card only. i have just been told by a local petrol station that from Monday they will be card only and Morrisons have started closing all but the card only petrol pumps at night time

I really don't see why this is necessary people can wear gloves and wash their hands regularly but I am worried that I am going to get loaded down with change which I can't use or bank and am going to have major problems as a result

This is a problem I hadn't anticipated is anyone else coming across this ?

Problem? What problem? I can accept all payments by card. I can make all payment by card. No problem.

Get a grip man. If you look in a mirror you will see the problem, because the problem is YOU!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:23 pm 

the point is customers usually choose to pay cash and at the moment often in small change so if you empty your bank account paying things on card but end up with several hundred pounds in change because you are stuck with it how do you pay your bills ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm 

edders23 wrote:
the point is customers usually choose to pay cash and at the moment often in small change so if you empty your bank account paying things on card but end up with several hundred pounds in change because you are stuck with it how do you pay your bills ?

I usually take all my bank notes to the autoteller at the bank and it takes the deposit just fine...even cheques.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:01 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Do banks not accept change anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

Never really had a problem with excess change here in St Andrews, unlike when I worked in Dundee.

In fact very often a shortage of pound coins, particular with the student runs, many of which are about £5.50 to £6.00 on T2, and they tend to pay with a tenner.

So although I've got a fair bit of change sitting around in case I go short, that was built up deliberately.

The smaller change maybe more of an issue, but the self-service tills in supermarkets can be useful for getting rid of this, especially if done on a regular basis (so you're not having to stick in dozens of coins at once) and avoids the embarrassment of using large amounts of change at a standard cash till.

I've also used the self-service till to get more change once in a while, eg using a £20 note for a small purchase. I've also once or twice put several small items through separately and paid with notes to generate some pound coins :oops: (Wouldn't fanny around like that if there was a queue, but I tend to shop later at night or other quieter times.)

Of course, if anyone has excess change and can't go to the bank, a lot of supermarkets seem to have the Coinstar machines these days, although I'm assuming the commission is quite hefty :?

As for Jimbo saying he can take cards, that's fine if everyone wants to pay by card, but a bit of a blow if you've waited a couple of hours for a fare and they can only pay cash :-o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:16 pm 

Thirty five years ago, when I started my illustrious career as a taxi driver, whilst between jobs, each Monday I would stagger to the bank with a bagful of coinage from the previous weeks takings. Queuing with all the other small business people, and taking a good half hour about it. Finding there was a bag of pennies with only 99p in it, that sort of thing. Gradually over the years, it has turned on its head, and I have to scrabble with change, because almost all cash payers offer a £10 note for a six pound fare, etc.

But more and more, I am asked, can I pay by card?
Since before I’d heard of novavirus or Covid 19.

Now money is filthy stuff, always was, always will be.

I would now prefer all payments to by by contactless. Contactless, there’s a clue in the name.

I am happy to work in an environment where I am in a separate compartment to a total stranger, who doesn’t have to palm me a dirty bank note. I have a sign asking for card payment as a preference, but I will take cash if I must.

So, mr edders, taxi baron of Stamford, if you’ve got a cash flow problem, you’re doing something wrong.
In Lincolnshire there is an old joke saying, you’ll never see a farmer on a bike.

A taxi proprietor with a cash flow problem? Even in these straitened times, don’t make me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:52 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Do banks not accept change anymore?

our banking is an internet account free of bank charges and you can pay notes into the cash machine but Can't deposit change

might be academic now if I have to self isolate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 pm 

Quote:
I really don't see why this is necessary people can wear gloves and wash their hands regularly

I agree, but sadly we have a large section of our population who simply don't give a f*** about the rest of us.

As evidenced by the scum hoarding food.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:25 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Is there a reason why you can't bank the cash?

Or get one of your drivers to bank it and write you a cheque.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
I really don't see why this is necessary people can wear gloves and wash their hands regularly

I agree, but sadly we have a large section of our population who simply don't give a f*** about the rest of us.

Some strange people about, certainly :?

Example 1 - Some squaddies going to the local army camp late last night. Came out of the kebab shop, ate their stuff in the car, plus that extremely annoying sound of a drinks can opening, and left a couple of chips on the seat and some greasy marks. Also heard them licking their fingers during the trip :x

Nothing out of the ordinary there, obviously, but with the coronavirus? :-o

And not particularly difficult to clean up with my leather clean spray but, I mean?

And didn't want a kick off, so didn't say anything, and it was a £20 run, which was more than I'd taken for the rest of the night =D>

Example 2 - older PhD student type got in earlier, was from Mozambique but decided to stay here over summer and finish his thesis.

Started going on about coronavirus, antibodies, herd immunity, immunocompromised people, blah, blah. Sounded like he might be researching some kind of science subject.

Funny thing, though, he opened the back door and put a very small bag on the back seat. I assumed he would sit there, but he closed the door and then came in the front :?

And paid with a £5 note and some small change, obviously [-X

But beggars can't be choosers, and all that :sad:

Sussex wrote:
As evidenced by the scum hoarding food

8-[
In my defence, I've always kept a reasonable amount of food in reserve. Think I accelerated that a couple of years ago when couldn't get out for a few days because of the Beast from the East, and no bread, milk and suchlike in shops for a week or so (obviously chickenfeed compared to what's happening now, if you'll pardon the pun).

Also, nearest shop, takeaway etc about 6 miles away. An hourly bus service to St Andrews during the day, but nothing after 6pm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:51 pm 

In all fairness if you live in the ar** hole end of nowhere, near the southern arctic, you would be a fool not to hoard.

But the greedy chavie scum I see every day, well I wish them nothing but bad luck. :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Also, nearest shop, takeaway etc about 6 miles away. An hourly bus service to St Andrews during the day, but nothing after 6pm.

Well that's the bus service gone now as well - most Fife routes have either been axed or moved to a Sunday service, and our route doesn't operate on a Sunday anyway, therefore...

Just have to hope the car keeps going - certainly not shelling out £20 for a taxi =;

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 am 

Quote:
certainly not shelling out £20 for a taxi =;
you could always us your own :wink:

after all whats stopping you nipping to the shops whilst taking a coffee break :wink: