Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:51 pm 

Quite a few articles in the last few days about firms offering to deliver food and meds, and even a few offering free services to pensioners etc :-o

Have just included the links here in case anyone is interested, plus the full text of the first and last articles, because they were easy to copy :roll:

There's a video in the last article about a York-based firm, in which the proprietor says business is down just 5%, and she seems quite unfazed by it all :shock:

Article was posted couple of days ago, so don't know if she'll still be saying the same today :?

Spalding taxi firm will pick up your food and meds during coronavirus

http://www.spaldingvoice.co.uk/spalding ... ronavirus/

Spalding taxi firm will pick up your food and meds during coronavirus

A Spalding taxi firm is offering to pick up food and medicine for those that are self-isolating due to coronavirus.

Smart Cabs and the company’s fleet of drivers are looking to help as many as possible by offering the pick up service in the town.

As well as their usual taxi service, the company will be able to pick up some shopping or medicine for the elderly or vulnerable who may need it most.

A spokesman for the company said: “For our house-bound customers who are elderly and vulnerable, and for those who are having to self isolate following the coronavirus outbreak, we are offering a grocery pick-up service, which will be arranged between the hours of 10am-2pm, from Monday to Saturday.

“Smart Cabs can pick up basic essential shopping items from the local supermarket, and any medication required.

“We will offer this service until further notice or until the government can confirm the situation has improved.”

Anyone with requests can contact Smart Cabs on 01775 767676 or you can visit the Smart Cabs Facebook page.

Banbury taxi company to offer free transport for OAPs during coronavirus crisis

https://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/ ... is-2482597

A Banbury taxi company is offering pensioners and the 'vulnerable' of the community free transport within the town.

Hero taxi drivers are offering free shopping trips to pensioners during coronavirus pandemic

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ee-3952191

Generous cabbies at I Taxi want to help the elderly as they face months of isolation

Coronavirus: West Bridgford taxi company will collect prescriptions and shopping for elderly and vulnerable free of charge

https://westbridgfordwire.com/coronavir ... of-charge/

Yellow Taxis in West Bridgford have offered to pick up prescriptions and pre-paid shopping orders and deliver free of charge for people are self isolating or are vulnerable.

Coronavirus Kent: Castle Cars in Tonbridge offering free taxis to Sainsbury's for elderly and vulnerable shoppers

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/tonbridge/ ... ts-224022/

A taxi firm in Tonbridge is offering to drive elderly and vulnerable people to Sainsbury's for free, as the store announced how it will help elderly and vulnerable shoppers.

Taxi firm offers to collect prescriptions and shopping for the elderly and vulnerable amid the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-17939915

Number 1 Diamond Cars in Middleton have set up a dedicated service for those in need

CORONAVIRUS - Video - Taxi firms in York adapt to new demands

https://www.minsterfm.com/news/local/30 ... w-demands/

The Coronavirus Outbreak has had an effect on most business in York and North Yorkshire.

At Fleetways Taxis in York they are seeing a drop of about 5% in custom at the moment.

But there are other reasons why people are calling a cab.

For many people it's the only way they can get food and household supplies in.

Currently there are long waits for online grocery deliveries so people in York are asking their taxi driver to go and pick it all up.

Wendy Loveday from Fleetways says she is seeing more and more calls of this nature and it's helping to keep her drivers busy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 pm 

We have one here saying that they will go to the off license and buy your alcohol and deliver it to you. I would have thought that they would need a license to do this because with them doing the actual purchase then they would then be supplying the drinks to the customer in much the same way as it was when we ran limousines, we could not buy and then give the alcohol to the customer let alone sell it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 pm 

grandad wrote:
We have one here saying that they will go to the off license and buy your alcohol and deliver it to you. I would have thought that they would need a license to do this because with them doing the actual purchase then they would then be supplying the drinks to the customer in much the same way as it was when we ran limousines, we could not buy and then give the alcohol to the customer let alone sell it.

Interesting. I remember when I worked for one of the local offices, and one of the regular runs was to go into the Spar, buy a bottle of whisky and take it to an OAP a couple of hundred yards away :roll:

That was back when the flagfall was £1.55 and it didn't click up till after a mile :roll: , so it was a flagfall job, but as I recall it he paid £2 for the job, so quite a handsome tip in comparison to the fare.

I also recall a hotel receptionist who was picked up late at night, and the driver had to get a bottle of booze for her, and then she got a cheap fare because of all the work she was feeding the firm (which in reality went elsewhere :roll: ), although I only did that particular run once or twice.

Anyway, interesting about possible breach of the liquor licensing laws, which hadn't crossed my mind at the time.

But it was jobs like that which meant I didn't last long with the firm [-(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm 

grandad wrote:

I don't think they need a booze license as the taxi/PH driver is merely delivering it, and the booze isn't being consumed in the taxi/PH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:13 pm 

I wouldn't supply any alcohol or age restricted items, even if the customer had pre-paid the shop.

If you pay the shop and get the money back from the customer on delivery of the alcohol you are effectively selling the alcohol to them, so would require a licence.
If the customer had paid for the alcohol over the phone and you were just delivering you could still fall foul of age verification.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:08 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

I don't think they need a booze license as the taxi/PH driver is merely delivering it, and the booze isn't being consumed in the taxi/PH.

as someone who once held an "off license" I assure you that is wrong if you buy alcohol and deliver it to someone who is under age or drunk you could be prosecuted the same as if you held the liquor license

As a taxi driver/PH you are not licensed to sell alcohol but if the customer had bought it "mail order" and you were simply delivering that might not be the case (pun intended)

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
so assuming this goes on for 2 or 3 months how are these companies going to be able to do all these freebies ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:30 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

They are actually buying the alcohol and then taking it to the customer who then pays them for the alcohol and the fare for delivering it. Therefore they are supplying the alcohol in the same way as we were not allowed to do it when we had limos because we didn't have a license.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 pm 

Coronavirus: Northampton taxi firm offering discounts and delivery services for whoever needs them

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/busi ... em-2502444

"Helping each other is the only way we're going to get through this."

Taxi service’s free delivery is for higher purpose

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/ ... e-9103412/

Image: Cambridge Independent/Keith Heppell

A Cambridge taxi firm is offering free services to help older people access vital supplies during the coronavirus crisis.

“We are offering a free taxi service to the over-70s,” CamCab boss Rowhi Nemer told the Cambridge Independent. “We’ll collect and deliver from any food store - Tesco’s, Sainsbury’s, anywhere. The service is available for anyone who hasn’t got help and, if things get worse, we will make our fleet available for doctors and nurses who need to make journeys to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.”

That situation is hopefully many weeks away, if required, but in the meanwhile Mr Nemer says: “We all have to work together to get through this and that’s why we’re happy to help in any way we can.”

The Coldhams Road-based company, which has a fleet of 110 vehicles, will transport groceries from supermarkets to homes for the foreseeable future.

Customers can call CamCab on 01223 704704. You will need to order shopping via a supermarket’s ‘click and collect’ service and have an order number and collection time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm 

I really don't think the answer to the trade's massive woes is to do free anything, apart from maybe one off occasions.

Discounts or subsidised work maybe, free work will not feed us and our families for the next few months.