UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Business Rates
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:47 pm 

MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

PS Grandad I think that your landlord can apply on your behalf BUT it might be that the whole building is above the 51000 rateable value threshold so although split into individual units may not be eligible

Yes, the rateable value of the business park is well in excess of the £51,000 threshold. There are 107 businesses operating out of there.

That is why I am saying that the Bricks and mortar Grant is not enough for this trade

How many owner drivers have a business rates bill? If they have been honest with the tax man they will get 80% the same as an employee. Most of the day to day bills can be put on hold and there is nothing to stop a driver from getting another job that they can get paid for in the meantime. I was talking to a driver this morning and he is working at Tesco, shelf stacking until this is over. He declared properly to HMCR so will get his 80% eventually and with the hours he is putting in at Tesco he will be earning more than normal for less hours than normal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:53 pm 

grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

PS Grandad I think that your landlord can apply on your behalf BUT it might be that the whole building is above the 51000 rateable value threshold so although split into individual units may not be eligible

Yes, the rateable value of the business park is well in excess of the £51,000 threshold. There are 107 businesses operating out of there.

That is why I am saying that the Bricks and mortar Grant is not enough for this trade

How many owner drivers have a business rates bill? If they have been honest with the tax man they will get 80% the same as an employee. Most of the day to day bills can be put on hold and there is nothing to stop a driver from getting another job that they can get paid for in the meantime. I was talking to a driver this morning and he is working at Tesco, shelf stacking until this is over. He declared properly to HMCR so will get his 80% eventually and with the hours he is putting in at Tesco he will be earning more than normal for less hours than normal.

So now he has proper job and he will be back …..don't think so

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:09 am 

edders23 wrote:
This will all be borrowed money anyway my contention is that there will be 5 million applications to be individually vetted so either they will need every inland revenue staff member working 24/7 on it or it will take a lot longer than 2 weeks.

there may well be a few getting payments in June but I am being realistic and assuming it will take 3 months to deal with the numbers

Suspect a lot of the legwork being done just now behind the scenes to get it all up and running, so that once applications are made the money will be paid out pretty quickly.

Think I read earlier on that 5,000 Department of Work and Pensions staff were seconded to HMRC to deal with all the various schemes?

As Grandad says, if someone is eligible then it'll just be a number-crunching exercise for the vast majority of cases using info that will already be in the HMRC database, and it'll be largely automated.

But, as I keep on saying, apart from the basic number crunching the main thing that could take up HMRC staff's time is the question about losing profit due to Covid-19. Pretty obvious for the vast majority, but HMRC staff won't necessarily look at it the same way, so they may ask some applicants to demonstrate this in one way or another.

Don't know how applicants will be selected for that - maybe just random, or due to these mysterious 'risk assessment' factors :-o

But I suspect the vast majority will just be rubber-stamped. And any questions will be asked further down the line 8-[

But just three weeks now or whatever until the application process goes online, so all will be revealed then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:02 pm 

The people I have been helping have all been payed out in 8 to 10 days in the bank....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Locally I know of two businesses that applied

the first is a Bakers who are busier than ever they reckon trade is up 25 percent and they got the grant

the second is a cafe at the bus station they got a rates holiday and a rent holiday BUT NOT the grant they tried doing takeout only but wasn't worth it as nobody about

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:19 am 

edders23 wrote:

the second is a cafe at the bus station they got a rates holiday and a rent holiday BUT NOT the grant they tried doing takeout only but wasn't worth it as nobody about

If they pay the rates directly to the Council and not through their landlord I would suggest that they follow this up. It maybe that some of the details that they gave did not match the details that the Council have on record. It is worth contacting the Councillor for the ward where the café is for assistance.
A mate of mine who is a director of an executive car company has been telling me about his fellow director who didn't want to ask for the grant because he said they weren't eligible because they were not in the hospitality industry. so my made did the did the form after speaking to the Council who said that they were eligible. he applied on Thursday last week and the money was in the account on Friday. Now his co director say that they wont touch the money because it has got to be a mistake and they will ask for the money back. They don't draw a wage from the business but they are both self employed drivers earning about £40,000 each per year but this other chap says that he wont claim the self employed grant again because he says that the government will want it straight back. He is a complete muppet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 pm 

\:D/ well did you get paid out edders 23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:07 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
MR T wrote:
\:D/ well did you get paid out edders 23

NO

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:02 pm 

According to today's press conference the Health Secretary is going to speak to the Chancellor about raising the £51,000 limit on rates.

Not sure he would have said that if something wasn't in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
According to today's press conference the Health Secretary is going to speak to the Chancellor about raising the £51,000 limit on rates.

Not sure he would have said that if something wasn't in the pipeline.

Our MP has messaged me today saying she is hopeful that the business rates grant will be extended to businesses like mine that pay our rates through our landlord and not direct to the Council.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:58 pm 

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Alicia Kearns MP
22 mins ·
GOOD NEWS FOR LOCAL BUSINESSES:
After weeks of leading efforts to lobby Government I can confirm that the Government intends to launch a new discretionary fund to target small businesses falling out of scope of the two existing schemes, for example businesses in shared spaces such as the Melton Mowbray Market and Pera Business Park. £617 million is being provided nationwide to support these businesses.
There will be some eligibility restrictions and requirements for businesses, for which I await the full detail, but this is a fantastic step forward for our local businesses.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 pm 

That's good news.

If for no other reason than it actually makes sense.