Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Furloughed employees
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:45 am 

I have just managed to fill out the forms for furloughing our employees. Not to difficult for employees that are paid the same amount each month and you don't top up their pay. The calculator is great for that but if they earn different amounts each week or month and you are topping up their pay it is a bloody nightmare. it was made all the more difficult because of the increase in the national minimum wage. We pay above this but we had an increase on April 1st to keep above it and that really complicated matters.
So we now have to wait and see if the payment is made in the 6 days time frame.

Post subject: Re: Furloughed employees
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52346685

A government pay scheme to keep staff on the payroll despite not working due to coronavirus has gone live.
HMRC chief executive Jim Harra told the BBC's Today programme that employers had made 67,000 claims for workers in the first 30 minutes.

hmmmm...............that's a lot of applications to run through I suspect that targets Will be missed and of course it will be blamed on higher than anticipated demand

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:33 pm 

edders23 wrote:

A government pay scheme to keep staff on the payroll despite not working due to coronavirus has gone live.
HMRC chief executive Jim Harra told the BBC's Today programme that employers had made 67,000 claims for workers in the first 30 minutes.

hmmmm...............that's a lot of applications to run through I suspect that targets Will be missed and of course it will be blamed on higher than anticipated demand

For the majority of claims it will be pay now and check later. The government is trying to pay the money out and not frustrate businesses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:50 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

For the majority of claims it will be pay now and check later. The government is trying to pay the money out and not frustrate businesses.

The site is open 24-7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:04 pm 

grandad wrote:
I have just managed to fill out the forms for furloughing our employees. Not to difficult for employees that are paid the same amount each month and you don't top up their pay. The calculator is great for that but if they earn different amounts each week or month and you are topping up their pay it is a bloody nightmare. it was made all the more difficult because of the increase in the national minimum wage. We pay above this but we had an increase on April 1st to keep above it and that really complicated matters.

what length of time do they work out the furlough rate over, is it like over a year, six month or the last three months, as you say some peoples wages fluctuates so just how do you get a workable average for staff earning different amounts over the months.

would be a real scunner if the last three months were low income months while the three months before that were high income months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:11 am 

bloodnock wrote:
grandad wrote:

what length of time do they work out the furlough rate over, is it like over a year, six month or the last three months, as you say some peoples wages fluctuates so just how do you get a workable average for staff earning different amounts over the months.

would be a real scunner if the last three months were low income months while the three months before that were high income months.

The simple situation is where an employee has worked for the whole of the last tax year and has earned the same amount every month. They have a calculator tool for that. But it is not quite as simple as you would think. For example if someone earns £1,000 a month you would think that the claim would be for £800 but it isn't. This is because you can also claim for the employers part of national insurance contributions and the employers part of the pension contribution. So the total claim for a full month is £817.78 unless you already receive the government national insurance rebate which allows a company £4,000 per year to offset the employers national insurance. However for the first claim period most people will fall into a slightly different calculation which is a bit more complex because you have to take the date that your first employee was furloughed and work out their earnings to that point and divide that by the number of days from the start of the tax year up to that point and then multiply that figure by the number of days left in that pay period and etc.
Still with me.
Now if you have an employee who earns a different amount each month or has not worked the full year it gets realy complicated and I am not even going to attempt to explain that but the calculator doesn't work for that nor does it work if an employee has had a pay rise during the furloughed period such as anyone on minimum wage who automatically got a pay rise on April 1st. There are some explanatory on the HMRC website to help. Our first claim period was from March 13th until April 30th.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:29 pm 

Quote:
but the calculator doesn't work for that nor does it work if an employee has had a pay rise during the furloughed period

That doesn't surprise me at all, else there would be fraudulent pay rise claims by the thousands.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:13 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
but the calculator doesn't work for that nor does it work if an employee has had a pay rise during the furloughed period

That doesn't surprise me at all, else there would be fraudulent pay rise claims by the thousands.

That is not the reason. The website states that they are working on more calculators to allow for different scenarios. It just take a while to set them up. You can do all the calculation manually if you follow the easy to follow (complicated) instructions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:36 am 

The Government grant for 80% of our wages has arrived in our bank account this morning. All our employees will now get paid 100% of their wages for this month on time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 pm 

grandad wrote:
The Government grant for 80% of our wages has arrived in our bank account this morning. All our employees will now get paid 100% of their wages for this month on time.

Was that for March, or March and April?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

Was that for March, or March and April?

It was for March and April. We had already paid all monthly employees for the whole of march. We have one weekly paid employee who we have been paying weekly as usual although she did have to wait a few days for the first week of the tax year wages. Our normal monthly pay day is around the 15th of the month but because we already have the money in the bank we are offering to pay them all on Friday 1st May if they wish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:04 pm 

grandad wrote:

Did YOU do the claim yourself or did your accountant?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:19 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

Did YOU do the claim yourself or did your accountant?

I did it myself.