Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:35 pm 

Wouldn't normally include a photo and caption like the one below, but, you know :roll:

And wouldn't normally comment on the incorrect use of the word 'taxi', but in this context it's more obviously confusing to the average reader, ie a member of the public.

Glasgow taxi drivers furious after plan to install screens in cabs is blocked

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/184 ... s-blocked/

Coronavirus: Glasgow taxi drivers furious after plan to install screens in cabs is blocked (Image: Glasgow Evening Times)

Taxi drivers are furious after being denied permission to install screens in cabs - despite their occupation having one of the highest death rates from coronavirus.

Death rates among male cabbies down south are at a rate of 36.4 per 100,000 according to the Office of National Statistics - one of the highest, and above bus drivers, chefs and shop assistants.

Many NHS workers are using cabs to get to work to avoid using public transport - and in Scotland so far six cabbies have died from the virus, according to union United Private Hire Drivers (UPHD).

Of those, three deaths have occurred in Glasgow - but the local authority has denied requests to allow taxi drivers to install protective screens, citing health and safety fears.

UPHD Glasgow chair Barry Sloan said: “In this epidemic, everyone is unsure what the best course of action is regarding safety.

"We turned to Glasgow City Council for guidance to be fobbed off and told no screens allowed.

“We stated that member drivers are catching Covid-19 and unfortunately some have passed away from the virus.

“We’ve insisted that the screen partitions must be allowed to safeguard our lives, which the council have simply brushed off, saying they are not properly tested and can impact on other safety aspects like air bags not being deployed properly.

“They also stated there is no proof screens will help reduce transmission of the virus.

“UPHD responded with evidence of test studies on protective screens and a Liverpool minicab firm which installed screens in their vehicles.

“Sadly, this has pushed many drivers into making their own makeshift screens for protection.

“I am increasingly concerned for drivers’ safety.”

A Glasgow City Council spokesman said: “We fully understand the anxiety that anyone may feel when working in close proximity to members of the public during the Covid-19 crisis.

“At this stage, no-one can confirm whether such screens do restrict the spread of the virus and we have other concerns about the safety implications of such temporary modifications to vehicles.

“We have written to the Scottish Government to seek clarification on how licensed hire vehicles should operate during these challenging times.”

A Scottish Government spokesman said: “We are taking the issues with taxis very seriously and are reviewing the published guidance daily to ensure that the spread of the virus is contained while balancing the needs of NHS staff to get to work, many of whom use taxis.”

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 pm 

Very strange.

If the vehicle owners/drivers of PH saloons wants a screen FFS let them have one.

Who cares, I mean who really cares?

Me I can't stand the things, but if a driver wants one let them have one.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:56 pm 

I think you will find that ALL TAXIS in glasgow already have a screen fitted

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jozefbloggz wrote:
I think you will find that ALL TAXIS in glasgow already have a screen fitted

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yes but here we have typical appalling journalism standards and quite frankly someone ought to complain to the authorities

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:11 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
by way of contrast

Uber and Addison Lee to install protective screens

Taxi firms Addison Lee and Uber have announced new safety measures as the government looks to ease coronavirus restrictions and people return to work.

Addison Lee will fit perspex partition screens between drivers and passengers across its 4,000 vehicles next week.

And Uber is paying the AA to install partitions in 400 cars in Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham as part of an initial pilot.

Both firms are also distributing free protective equipment to drivers.

The plans follow calls for improved protections for drivers and passengers.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pm 

Fabric Seating etc is a big issue regardless of screens.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 am 

Private Reggie wrote:
Fabric Seating etc is a big issue regardless of screens.

Fine by me if they'll only allow saloons with leather to operate :idea: :-o

Anyway, typical of our council about the screens. Seems they won't issue a specification, but if you fit one they want to inspect it at their depot twenty miles away, then they'll tell you if it's suitable :-s

Fife Council wrote:
Plastic screens in taxis/PHCs

There have been a lot of enquiries about the use of screens in taxis/PHCs to separate the drivers from rear seat passengers and we are working on getting answers for you. The official government guidance is not definitive and there are ongoing concerns over Health and Safety and insurance cover. The effectiveness of such screens is also in question, but we appreciate that drivers are seeking some reassurance of enhanced protection and may see the screens as providing that reassurance. We would therefore advise you that we cannot recommend the use of screens until there is further guidance from the Scottish Government on this.

However, if you still wish to pursue the option of fitting them, you will be asked to provide detailed information on the type of screen you wish to use to the Council’s Fleet Operations (which may also include you producing the vehicle for inspection, with the screen fitted, at the Fleet Operations facility in Glenrothes). You may also have to confirm with your insurance company that it will not affect your cover. We would remind you that screens offer limited protection only and should not replace the other protective steps of social distancing, wearing gloves, cleaning down the vehicle surfaces after each hire and keeping the vehicle ventilated.

The Scottish Government is working on a ‘Transport Transition Plan’ which will will set out what steps public transport operators can take to make travel as safe as possible. Contact will be made with those representing taxi drivers as part of this.

The following sites may provide more information for you and are constantly updated:

https://www.gov.scot/collections/corona ... -guidance/
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-saf ... 9/vehicles
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:32 am 

Makes a lot of sense to me, at least they are open to the idea, but the issue of fabric seating can’t be ignored by local authorities, I presume they will be difficult to wipe down after every journey.

Interesting times ahead for the PH/Saloon car operator.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 pm 

The simple solution is get all private hire and saloon taxis off the roads , and leave the taxis with screens to do the essential work.
The government could freeze all taxi payments and give all drivers affected £200 pw to stay at home.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:38 pm 

Totally agree Skippy.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 am 

skippy41 wrote:
The simple solution is get all private hire and saloon taxis off the roads , and leave the taxis with screens to do the essential work.
They government could freeze all taxi payments and give all drivers affected £200 pw to stay at home.

A decent face mask, rubber gloves and pair of modern wrap round safety glasses for the driver and the Passengers can choose and take their own PPE if they know they are going to need a taxi or PH and they dont get in without it.

A screen isn't practical in a saloon and unless it was hermetically sealed it would be of no more use than a driver wearing a mask, gloves and glasses.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:09 am 

I wonder how the LA's will handle the School taxi conundrum after the Schools reopen, they are going to either need more taxis or buses to keep to social distancing guidelines or breach their own school transport commitments and make the parents take those kids who normally qualify for school transport take them in themselves....and that wont please working parents.

I fear that this might screw the tens of thousands of us who rely on School contracts for a big chunk of their living, especially as all other work has dried up.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:21 pm 

bloodnock wrote:

A screen isn't practical in a saloon and unless it was hermetically sealed it would be of no more use than a driver wearing a mask, gloves and glasses.

What is it with you and “hermetically sealed” ????
If someone was sitting behind you, behind a screen, and sneezed/coughed, do you not think the screen would stop the MAJORITY of the droplets reaching the driver ? Or would you prefer them to sneeze/cough without there being a screen present ??????
I know what I’d prefer.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:49 pm 

All day long it has to be Screen, Plastic and easy wipeable seating, any LA allowing other wise is culpable for failing to take control of what type of vehicles are used to transport all types of passengers.

The driver knows he has a moral duty to have all the essentials in his cab, for THEIR and Their Passengers safety.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:13 pm 

Bloodknock wrote:

A partition in a TX isn't hermetically sealed either, and while it's maybe safer than a plastic partition in a saloon, unless you block off the cash hole and ban cash transactions then there's always an element of risk, and NO ONE knows precisely what that risk is.

I mean, for example, should cash transactions be banned to minimise the risk? Or maybe ban card transactions too unless it's a remote card reader in behind a purpose-built screen rather than the driver handing back an iZettle reader to the customer?

Or ban saloons completely, as some on here suggesting?

Who knows, but society isn't hermetically sealed either, but it's all a question of trading off the risks and benefits - for example, allowing people out to shop for food, but not to shop for less essential stuff like a new mobile phone or pair of jeans.

And, as regards the trade, in some areas obviously very few cabs with proper partitions, in fact probably none at all in some more rural locations. Or, for example, reason Dundee allows older HC plates to run saloons (as compared to WAVs for new plates) is because some people with mobility problems can only access saloons, so obviously banning saloons would be problematic for them, particularly with the trade doing a lot of essential hospital work just now.

And, more generally, there's well qualified people who suggest that the whole lockdown thing is a waste of time, and that infections peaked *before* lockdown, so it's more herd immunity that's bringing down infection rates and deaths rather than the lockdown itself.

By the same token, maybe it won't make a jot of difference whether the trade just carries on as normal, and whether masks, screens, cleaning etc are all a waste of time, or mabye gloves, masks and screens do significantly lower the risk.

Personally I think the whole thing has been overdone. On the other hand, instincively I suspect that the more precautions drivers take, the lower the risk. But whether that lowers the risk from 20% to 1%, say, or from 5% to 4.5%, say, I don't know, and nobody knows, or we'd all have been issued with specific instructions by now.

But as far as I'm aware, I could go out and sit on the ranks tonight and just do precisely what I normally do, and no one in authority would bat an eyelid.

But suspect I'd get zero work, so I won't be bothering for a few weeks yet anyway, so will wait to see what the powers-that-be have come up with by then :?