Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 pm 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:
MR T wrote:
Where does it say that you can not apply for both

nowhere that I can find but the person i spoke to at the IR said that being rejected for the rates grant was what flagged my claim up

As I said it is now under appeal hopefully I will get something but if I do it will be a reduced amount than was initially offered

You're saying your claim for the self-employment grant was flagged up at HMRC because you were rejected for the rates grant?

As others are saying, I don't think there's any link at all as regards eligibility for the self-employment grant, the bounce back loans and the rates assistance. They're all stand alone, I'm quite sure.

So I suspect what's been flagged up during the process is some kind of, er, irregularity 8-[

Maybe rates bill not in his name

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:19 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Rates bill is in the trading name and my name as are the bank accounts etc. that shouldn't have made any difference. What appears to have happened is that they have decided my claim might be fraudulent and are investigating it thoroughly

Also talking to many other local drivers they all submit much lower profit figures than mine so my "offer" was above average for local drivers and this "might" also be a factor

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:30 am 

I have now been told I am getting the money today and it has not been reduced :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I have now been told I am getting the money today and it has not been reduced :shock:

Well done, I bet that’s a relief.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:03 pm 

edders23 wrote:

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:09 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Couple of the oldies down here have had their applications for the grant refused as they are taking their pension.

Bearing in mind they are still paying tax via the self assessment process, it does seem a bit mean.

All they ask is if your intending to continue trading in the 20-21 tax year.....i saw no mention of drawing on a Pension.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:11 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Excellent news =D>

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Couple of the oldies down here have had their applications for the grant refused as they are taking their pension.

Bearing in mind they are still paying tax via the self assessment process, it does seem a bit mean.

All they ask is if your intending to continue trading in the 20-21 tax year.....i saw no mention of drawing on a Pension.

A pension is classed as income so if the value of the pension is greater than the declared profit from self employment then you don't qualify.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm 

grandad wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
Sussex wrote:

A pension is classed as income so if the value of the pension is greater than the declared profit from self employment then you don't qualify.

This is what I said from the outset,that was why they stated I was ineligible for any help on day 1 of the scheme opening.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 pm 

x-ray wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Well done, I bet that’s a relief.

No, I think it's the self-employment grant :lol:

Actually, I'm just assuming it's that rather than the rates relief or the bounce back loan, but who knows?

But well done Edders for getting the, er, money =D> :-s

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 am 

According to this Boris wants to extend the scheme, but the chancellor not so keen.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11680960/ ... state-aid/

And apparently the chancellor wasn't keen on the scheme in the first place anyway.

But it looks as if Boris might get his way, but Rishi Sunak wants just a two month extension, but only if you've no income.

So I strongly suspect there will be an extension, but maybe not for as long as the furlough scheme, and the criteria will be tightened up.

But who knows what that form will take, especially for things like taxi driving. I'd certainly not work if it meant getting another grant, because the chances of me earning anything near the grant figure in the next couple of months is effectively zero, especially with the lockdown likely to go on a bit longer in Scotland and the local trade here so dependent on tourists, students, and restaurants and pubs. And even that's ignoring the health risks.

But suppose some drivers are making half their normal income. At present they can claim the grant, but might not be able to under an extension. In which case they probably wouldn't work at all, and then it all gets very messy.

Or HMRC might want a bit more in terms of proof as regards how Covid-19 is affecting your income, which comes back to what I was banging on about weeks ago [-(

Of course, they might just leave that aspect as it is, and instead maybe take more account of any other income. So even if you have a pension or PAYE income that's lower than your taxi income, that might be taken into account, while at the moment it isn't, unless it's more than your taxi income.

Or they could maybe lower the percentage of profits given from 80% to a lower figure.

Or maybe lower the maximum grant from £2,500 per month. Which would suit me, and even if they reduced it to £1,500 or even halved it to £1,250, it wouldn't affect my grant :D Of course, if you're a higher earner, and have just gotten £2,000/month or more as a grant, you obviously don't want the cap reduced.

But it's this kind of complexity and the politics of it all that's probably why it's taken so long to agree on something.

But Mr Sunak has never completely ruled out an extension, which is why I've always thought there would be one, even if it's not nearly as generous as the current scheme.

But he's obviously unimpressed that some people are still coining it in and getting the grant as well :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:31 am 

Quote:
But he's obviously unimpressed that some people are still coining it in and getting the grant as well

based on local experience it is a very small minority "coining it in". I think almost every sole trader and small business has suffered as fewer people getting work done on cars,houses,shopping etc.

Only businesses involved in deliveries are busy and that might well taper off as people's finances become more stretched

I think the problem lies in the vast army of pseudo self employed who are contributing little to government revenues

It is a very telling fact that 2 million applied for the self employed scheme out of 5 million "self employed"

that is a large discrepancy maybe because self employment is being abused as a tax avoidance scheme so I can understand his reluctance to help

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 am 

I am not convinced the taxi trade Is the sector That Sunak is worried About still coining it in, I think its more the Big number of Construction workers who are all going back to something like normal operations As of next month who maybe won’t need On going support, it’s going to have to be targeted In some way

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 pm 

Quote:
But he's obviously unimpressed that some people are still coining it in and getting the grant as well :roll:

:-$

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:49 pm 

Hamish mcsporran wrote:
I am not convinced the taxi trade Is the sector That Sunak is worried About still coining it in, I think its more the Big number of Construction workers who are all going back to something like normal operations As of next month who maybe won’t need On going support, it’s going to have to be targeted In some way

Indeed, and (for the record) I didn't say that the chancellor might have the taxi trade in mind.

But some people no doubt doing well out of it. A relative of mine works in food retail, and has seen record takings in last few weeks.

So if you're a sole trader or in a partnership in food, you could be very profitable yet claiming another 80% of profits via the grant scheme.

Of course, if you're doing better than usual then strictly speaking you shouldn't be claiming, but in a mainly cash business like a corner shop or small independent chain, there's no doubt scope for hiding the true picture.

And even if you've only lost 5% profits (say), then you're eligible because you're affected by Covid-19, so you're coining it in as well - if you're eligible you get the whole grant, whether you've lost 5% profits, or are totally wiped out.

And, as I said weeks ago, even if you're 5% down, how do you know if that's because of Covid-19 or due to normal factors?

And how do you prove that to HMRC if they ask? Could be difficult for corner shops (say). Although HMRC unlikely to look into all but a small number of cases.

Which is probably why chancellor not keen, because it's open to abuse, and in vast majority of cases not really a lot HMRC can do about it.

Of course, in other sectors, like barbers and hairdressers, it's pretty self-evident, because it's illegal for them to work.

So, as you say, if there's any extension, it's likely to be more restricted than at present.

But lots of complexity and difficult political questions, so that's probably why it's all taking so long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next