Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:12 pm 

Face masks to be made compulsory on public transport in England

Face coverings on public transport will be compulsory from 15 June in England to help stop the transmission of coronavirus as more people go back to work, Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, said on Thursday.

The government will require people to wear face coverings on buses, trains, tubes and other modes of public transport from that date, when non-essential shops are likely to reopen.

However, it will not apply to people entering shops, despite the current guidance saying face coverings should be worn in enclosed public places.

Ministers are bringing in the policy due to concerns about the difficulties of physical distancing on crowded public transport, despite people being asked to use other ways of travelling, to space out, face away from each other and travel at staggered times.

A senior government source said it would help stop asymptomatic people passing the virus on to others and also “act as a visible reminder” of the need for distancing and measures such as handwashing.

Under the conditions of carriage, fines may be imposed for anyone who flouts the new rules.

In Scotland, people are also advised to wear face masks on public transport and in enclosed public spaces. Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, said on Thursday that she was considering making the measure compulsory and it may be “inevitable” at some point, as anecdotal evidence suggests many Scots are disregarding guidance.

In Wales, wearing face coverings is a matter of personal choice, while in Northern Ireland it is recommended that people “should think about using face coverings in enclosed spaces where social distancing is not possible”.

Mick Whelan, the general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ trade union, said it was a “sensible step”.

“We have been working closely with the government to ensure that agreed increases in services on Britain’s train, and Tube, network is done in a safe and controlled manner – to help spread [the number of travellers], and maintain social distancing – for the safety of passengers and staff,” he said. “The instruction to wear face coverings to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus will ease the concerns of people travelling, and working, on the transport network.”

The change in advice comes a month after the government advised people to “wear a face covering in enclosed spaces where social distancing is not always possible and they come into contact with others that they do not normally meet, for example on public transport or in some shops”.

It makes an exception for children under the age of two, who should not have their faces covered, and any children of primary age who do not have somebody with them who is supervising them.

The chief medical officer for England, Professor Chris Whitty, has repeatedly stressed that face coverings are “not a substitute” for physical distancing and urged the public not to buy surgical or medical masks needed for frontline carers, but to rely on scarves or DIY-type masks instead.

The advice also suggests public should wash their clothes regularly, as there is “some evidence that the virus can stay on fabrics”.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 pm 

So the $64,000 question is does this apply to the taxi and PH trade?

Part of me thinks it should, but it's not going to be easy, especially if the night time economy ever gets started again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:21 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Part of me thinks it should, but it's not going to be easy, especially if the night time economy ever gets started again.

Wearing a scarf over my face in a heatwave. Can’t wait.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:29 pm 

Sussex wrote:

To answer my own question, the minister said this in his statement.

And as passenger numbers increase, and we expect this trend to continue, we need to ensure every precaution is taken, on buses, trains, aircraft and ferries.

So my initial thoughts are that it doesn't yet cover us. :-k

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:54 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Sussex wrote:

To answer my own question, the minister said this in his statement.

And as passenger numbers increase, and we expect this trend to continue, we need to ensure every precaution is taken, on buses, trains, aircraft and ferries.

So my initial thoughts are that it doesn't yet cover us. :-k

Only because Shapps is intent on destroying the hackney carriage trade,he is allowing should say promoting these electric scooters trials before the consultation on their safety and operation is complete.
Wonder how many of the contributors to the site have sent a reply in to this consultation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:56 pm 

Quote:
he is allowing should say promoting these electric scooters trials before the consultation on their safety and operation is complete.

More and more people will be injured, possibly killed, using these things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 am 

Sussex wrote:

The answer to the $64,000 dollar question is that the face mask regulations is that the regulations do NOT apply to Taxi’s, according to today’s Daily Telegraph. Please send the $64,000 to Jimbo@Lincoln. Thanks in anticipation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:54 am 

Sussex wrote:

Can't see why it would be as Taxi and PH have never come under the heading "Public Transport" in the past, they have always sought to keep this title the preserve of Bus, trams, rail, and ferries.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:46 pm 

I believe taxis are public transport, because we are available for an immediate hire, where PH are not

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 pm 

A hackney is public transport as far as I know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:26 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I was listening to R5 live early this am and they stated taxis and Private hire were included !

I am pretty sure we are and am advising my drivers that this will be so

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:00 pm 

rayggb wrote:
A hackney is public transport as far as I know.

Don't think the trade (either HC or PH) normally categorised as public transport, so I normally assume it isn't included.

But it may be that the trade *will* be included, but until that's specifically stated I'll assume we aren't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:15 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
I believe taxis are public transport, because we are available for an immediate hire, where PH are not

#-o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:20 pm 

Taken from TaxiPoint website.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/new-m ... bs-say-dft

A Department for Transport (DfT) spokesperson told TaxiPoint: “While the regulations for public transport do not cover taxis and private hire vehicles (PHV) the trade is already able to implement measures to protect drivers and passengers. Taxi drivers are already able to refuse carriage to passengers where it is reasonable to do so, this might include those that are able but refuse to wear a face covering.

“Private hire vehicle operators can make the wearing of face covering a condition of hiring.

“We would encourage all licensing authorities to consider ways in which they can work with their licensees to support all reasonable measures to protect taxi and PHV drivers and passengers.”

Government officials also called for passengers and drivers to follow the basic guidance already set out which includes the use of ventilation and reducing occupancy in the vehicles.

The DfT spokesperson added: “Passengers and drivers should follow the guidance we’ve set out for private hire vehicles closely to best protect themselves and follow social distancing guidelines whenever possible.

“Our advice on face coverings remains that you should wear one in an enclosed space where social distancing isn’t possible and where you will come into contact with people you do not normally meet.

“Taxi drivers and private hire vehicle operators are likely to have put in place new measures to help with social distancing. These may include: eliminating the use of face-to-face passenger seating; use of ventilation; reducing occupancy to individual passengers in the back left-hand seat; reducing occupancy in a larger vehicle.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:42 pm 

Article from of all papers The Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11793448/ ... ing-masks/

Once again confirmation that the new rules don't apply to the taxi/PH trade, but clearly many in the trade believe they should.