Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:56 am 

Sussex wrote:
Boots are selling 50 disposable masks for £30 if anyone needs them.

https://www.boots.com/lyncmed-disposabl ... k-10285086

Important information, from the above advert.

“These face masks should not be used in place of social distancing.”

“Will NOT protect the wearer from coronavirus “

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:38 am 

Those masks are what the majority of non NHS folks are wearing now.

The gov are saying face coverings, which clearly isn’t NHS spec masks.

None of these non NHS masks stop you getting the virus, however they can help, to a degree, you from spreading it should you have the virus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:30 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:

None of these non NHS masks stop you getting the virus, however they can help, to a degree, you from spreading it should you have the virus.

precisely and that was known from the start by HMG but they chose to ignore it to protect the NHS by making sure only NHS had PPE and thus doubling their workload by letting 10's of 1000's catch it form the cough's and sneezes of other sufferers

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:34 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

precisely and that was known from the start by HMG but they chose to ignore it to protect the NHS by making sure only NHS had PPE and thus doubling their workload by letting 10's of 1000's catch it form the cough's and sneezes of other sufferers

Which is why I’ve been wearing an ex British army NBC suit since March. You can’t be too careful. And I’m down to six stones now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 pm 

B&H schools have mandated with immediate effect that drivers must wear masks and gloves when transporting kids on the schools acc.

One has to wonder why this wasn't the rule on lock-down day 1. :-k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:58 pm 

B&H Licensing sent this advice out recently.

The requirement is for a face covering not masks but of course wearing a mask is acceptable. Should a driver insist that their passengers wear a face covering it is only right that the driver also wears a face covering. We have no objection to appropriate notices in the vehicle regarding face coverings.

As you are aware the Government asks transport operators in England to make wearing face coverings a requirement of using public transport from 15 June to coincide with the next stage of carefully easing of lock-down restrictions. This includes bus, coach, train, tram, ferry and aircraft passengers who must wear a face covering on their journey to help reduce the risk of transmission when social distancing is not always possible guidance remains to work from home if you can and avoid public transport where possible.

It appears that taxis & private hire are not included but may be when the new regulations and guidance comes out. There are exemptions in the requirements for public transport for passengers wearing a face covering, such as children and people with a medical condition.

Can a taxi or PHV driver refuse to admit a passenger who is not wearing a face covering?

Taxi and PHV drivers are advised to make an assessment of risk. The acceptance of a booking request by a PHV operator is a decision made based on the operator’s own assessment of risk. Any requirements for face coverings should be made clear to the passenger before the operator accepts the booking. Taxi drivers can use this assessment to determine whether or not it is reasonable to admit or refuse a passenger who is not wearing a face covering, considering other mitigation's they put in place from their risk assessment. This does not however absolve them of their duties under the Equality Act 2010.

Given the Government social distancing rules, it is very difficult to abide by these when using public transport, so we would offer the following optional practical advice:-

1) The use of PPE by both drivers and passengers
2) Screens being installed in vehicles – this can be a temporary measure for those vehicles that do not have them installed already (Please see your licence conditions).
3) Only allow passengers to sit in the rear of a vehicle.
4) Carrying less passengers than the vehicle is licensed to do so perfectly acceptable and legal.
5) Refusal to carry more than one passenger is acceptable if the driver considers it reasonable after conducting a risk assessment – for example 3 people from different households who are not wearing PPE may be reasonable. Please be aware that there may be exemptions to wearing a face covering and ensure vulnerable passengers are not just abandoned and put at risk (please consider carrying spare masks).
6) Avoid handling cash if possible and make use of card payments especially contactless where possible – Contactless limit has been raised recently.
7) Washing hands and the use of hand gels to be used regularly and especially after transportation of any passengers.
8 ) Vehicles to be cleaned / Screens wiped down after each passenger and at regular times.

The advice we have received is that from a Health and Safety at Work etc Act (1974) perspective, it’s the employers (or the self-employed) duty of care to manage health and safety. If through a risk assessment process, self-employed Taxi Drivers or their employers have identified that the wearing of face coverings is necessary to protect themselves and their customers, that will be for them to determine. I’m afraid the Licensing Authority are not able to provide face coverings to taxi drivers and their passengers.

The Management of Health and Safety of Work Regulations (1999) state: The employer or self-employed undertake an assessment of the risks to health and safety of their employees and others who may be affected by their work activity so the onus is on the employer or self-employed person to procure the right PPE for their staff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:31 pm 

Face masks mandatory for Uber passengers and drivers

Ride-sharing giant Uber is to make it mandatory for passengers and drivers to wear face coverings from Monday in the UK.

The minicab app firm said it was taking measures "to help everyone stay safe" and had introduced measures to give drivers access to protective equipment.

Face coverings will become compulsory on public transport and in hospitals in England from Monday.

It comes after a study suggested masks could cut Covid-19 spread by up to 40%.

Uber drivers in London will have to submit a picture of themselves to verify they are following the new rules before they can begin working.

Other measures include trialing in-car partitions in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, distributing more than two million masks to drivers and sending out 54,000 units of cleaning spray and hand sanitiser.

Uber's regional general manager for northern and eastern Europe, Jamie Heywood, said: "For months we've been urging people to stay home, for their safety and the safety of drivers who make essential trips.

"Now, as cities begin to reopen and people start moving again, we're taking measures to help everyone stay safe and healthy every time they use Uber."

From Monday, face coverings will be compulsory on public transport in England.

Scotland already recommends wearing coverings in shops and on public transport.

People in Wales are asked to wear three-layer face coverings on public transport and other situations where social distancing is not possible.

Face coverings on public transport are also recommended in Northern Ireland.

Analysis by BBC Science Editor David Shukman

'Potentially useful tool'

Research on face coverings has been described as "slim" by many authorities, and for health professionals there's always been the fear of a rush to snap up medical-grade masks.

But studies in laboratories have shown not only how far droplets can be spread by coughs but also how various kinds of materials can dramatically reduce how many of those droplets do get through.

A homemade mask will not do a great job of protecting you but may reduce the chances of you infecting others.

And if enough people follow that advice, the risks of the infection spreading are brought down.

There have been passionate disagreements over this within the world of science.

And even advocates would agree that the public wearing masks will not defeat the virus on its own; but it's a potentially useful extra tool as we come out of lockdown.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:07 pm 

Picked up from T2 at Heathrow day and there were big f*** off signs saying masks should be worn in the terminal.

So on goes mine, get into terminal and less than 20% of the people waiting inside had masks on. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:43 pm 

Because the lockdown is going on a bit longer here, and because of micro-local circumstances, I won't really be thinking seriously about this stuff for a few weeks, and haven't been shopping around for masks. But I see B&M has a selection of mask products on its site, including 50 disposables for £20.

I quite like the look* of the reusable masks @ 5 for £9.99, because they're white (prefer that to the black or blue ones), and presumably I could just stick them in the washing machine with the rest of my laundry. Job done.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?query=face+coverings

However, whether or not they'll actually have that stocked and available in-store in any particular outlet is another matter, and you can't order online with B&M.

But I suppose this will be like the hand sanitzer - now there's a bewildering variety of products and prices, and everytime I go into one of the big stores there seems to be a new line on display. (Of course, I've already overstocked a bit, so it's more window-shopping than actually purchasing for me now.)

*Actually, I don't like the look of *any* of them, and probably wouldn't bother with a mask myself, but will wait to see what other drivers are doing etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:49 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Because the lockdown is going on a bit longer here, and because of micro-local circumstances, I won't really be thinking seriously about this stuff for a few weeks, and haven't been shopping around for masks. But I see B&M has a selection of mask products on its site, including 50 disposables for £20.

I quite like the look* of the reusable masks @ 5 for £9.99, because they're white (prefer that to the black or blue ones), and presumably I could just stick them in the washing machine with the rest of my laundry. Job done.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?query=face+coverings

However, whether or not they'll actually have that stocked and available in-store in any particular outlet is another matter, and you can't order online with B&M.

But I suppose this will be like the hand sanitzer - now there's a bewildering variety of products and prices, and everytime I go into one of the big stores there seems to be a new line on display. (Of course, I've already overstocked a bit, so it's more window-shopping than actually purchasing for me now.)

*Actually, I don't like the look of *any* of them, and probably wouldn't bother with a mask myself, but will wait to see what other drivers are doing etc.

I bought 50 from Amazon for around the though I have been told Lidls were doing packs of 50 for £7.50 or so but cant confirm it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Picked up from T2 at Heathrow day and there were big f*** off signs saying masks should be worn in the terminal.

So on goes mine, get into terminal and less than 20% of the people waiting inside had masks on. #-o

a couple of weeks ago when I went about 70 to 80 percent had them albeit not worn properly but very few had gloves

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:52 pm 

DfT have slightly amended their Face Covering guidance to include taxi and PH passengers.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... e-vehicles

But it's still guidance as far as I can work out, not regulations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:14 pm 

Well I was in a branch of B&M a couple of days ago, and they had masks on display, but couldn't see any sign of the bulk 50 packs, nor the 5-packs of washable ones I wanted.

But they were scattered all over the shop like chewing gum or something, so I don't know if they might have had them someplace instore :roll:

Wouldn't it be better just to display them all together? :idea:

Would have asked staff, but normally avoid that if possible, and was miffed at staff here a couple of weeks ago anyway, when one on the till wanted to call a supervisor to authorise the sale of a £1 garden trowel :-s (Something to do with it being some sort of sharp instrument - I told them to forget it, and an overgrown boy racer-type customer had just called another staff member a 'stupid cow' for getting too close, so I thought it would be a good idea to get out [-( )

(B&M did have 5-packs of washables, and only £7.99, but they were smaller ones for kids.)

Was also in Home Bargains, and they did have packs of 50 disposables, also £19.99 I think, and also had reusables, but just single packs.

(Home Bargains also had dinky wee bottles of colourful fragranced hand sanitizer - strawberry, mango, orange etc - and reasonablly priced, so would at least brighten the car up a bit.)

Tesco and Asda also had masks, but again just looked like singles or small quantities of disposables. OK in an emergeny, I suppose, but not so good for industrial scale use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:45 pm 

This is the latest advice from our council (Cheshire West and Chester, or CWAC!)

Face coverings

At the moment the general advice we offer on this is:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings on Public Transport) (England) Regulations 2020 excludes taxi and private hire vehicles from the definition of “Public Transport” and therefore the wearing of face masks is not mandatory for passengers using taxi and private hire vehicles from 15/06/20. However, associated guidance recommends that passengers wear face coverings when using taxi and private hire vehicles and states that drivers may refuse to carry passengers if they are not wearing a face covering. Whilst not mandatory, following the latest guidance would suggest that it would be beneficial for both the driver and passengers to wear face coverings.

We are seeking to get better clarification in the near future and work with other authorities to ensure that we offer not only latest advice, but adopt a uniform approach on this issue across the region/country. I hope to be able to update you on this shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 am 

Thought that if I didn't go back to work for another few weeks I'd manage to avoid the face mask thing entirely.

But now we've to wear them in Scotland just to go to the shops ](*,)

And what's the betting I won't be able to buy any now? :evil:

At least the rule doesn't come in till next Friday :-k

I wonder what's happening at midnight on Thursay that means we're all suddenly in great danger that will only be avoided by wearing a face mask to the shops :-s

Coronavirus: Face coverings to become mandatory in Scottish shops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53252760

The use of face coverings will become mandatory in shops in Scotland as coronavirus restrictions are eased, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next