Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you take £50 notes?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 pm 

Reason I ask is that it appears loads of iffy ones are being given to drivers in London, according to Taxi-Point.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/taxi- ... -19-period

Personally I never take them, and I'm quite surprised some do.

That's why I have a card machine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:32 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
had 4 of them last month (part of one fare) rest paid by cheque

but it was a customer I have known for over 25 years :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:29 pm 

The last £50 note I got was from Jamie Vardy when I took him from his then home in Melton Mowbray to the City training ground to catch the team coach to the BBC sports personality of the year show when Leicester had won the premier league.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:08 pm 

Take them, but don't particularly like them.

And it's the only banknote that the Shell filling station here is guaranteed to check. (They're less inclined to check banknotes in St Andrews than in Dundee.)

But very few and far between here - maybe half a dozen per annum maximum, in fact wouldn't be surprised if I've went whole years without seeing any. (And until recently I've been almost 100% cash-only.)

But they tend to be in very good condition, so silver strip and watermarks etc quite easy to check. Usually either students from overseas or foreign visitors, so maybe straight out of a bank or bureau de change, or similar.

And they're almost always Bank of England notes. Although most other notes here are a mix of the three Scottish banks that issue banknotes, I maybe recall one £50 note that wasn't a Bank of England one.

The Scottish banks also issue £100 notes, but I think I've only ever been offered one (or maybe that was my sole Scottish £50 note - can't remember now, but certainly a very rare event).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:20 am 

forgot you have hundreds in Scotlandshire haven't seen one in over 30 years

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 am 

edders23 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if most people up here have never seen one either, even assuming most are aware of their existence :-o

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:14 pm 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if most people up here have never seen one either, even assuming most are aware of their existence :-o

I had several in the early 80s, then I got married and have never seen another one since.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:25 pm 

Remember those really annoying Royal Bank of Scotland £1 notes that they kept producing more than a decade after coins were introduced? :roll:

So you'd have maybe forty pounds worth of £1 coins, and maybe three or four of the RBS £1 notes :evil:

Then when they gradually disappeared, you'd go days without seeing one, then suddenly someone would pay you with a bundle, and that's all they had ](*,)

According to Wikipedia, they're still around (RBS just stopped producing them) but it's years since I've seen one [-o<

Of course, even though the Scottish banks change their notes (for the plastic ones, most recently), I don't think they ever actually stop being legal tender like the Bank of England ones. They just gradually withdraw them from circulation as they're returned to the banks.

But that's maybe something to do with the fact that the Scottish notes aren't ever legal tender as such, in fact *no* banknotes are legal tender in Scotland [-(

So in a way Scottish notes are no more legal or illegal than the $, € or chickens or goats as a means of payment - it's up to the driver what to accept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:05 am 

Upon the Scottish bank notes on demand the bearer will be paid 1 pound sterling(assuming this is a reference to silver) there is nothing other than pay on demand the sum of x pounds on English notes.

Would think the Sottish notes are more of a guarantee than the English notes(pound of what)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 am 

I used to love scottish £1.00 notes. When we ran stretched limos and did weddings some of the religions thought it was good luck to bless the car by throwing money over the front. Obviously we wouldn't allow coins so they used £1.00 notes. they would throw hundreds of pounds of them over the car and then when you moved off they would pick them up again. However the air intake was at the top of the bonnet and quite a few would always get sucked in. A nice little tip at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:45 am 

this reminds of the time about 5 or 6 years ago i got someone phone me up on a Monday morning who was stranded with a broken bike around Rutland water, and wanted to go to a car park on the opposite side . I had quoted him £20.00 and duly got the bike in and got him to the other side. he then offered me £10 claiming it was that or I would have to change a £50.00. The look on his face when I said no problem I can change a £50.00 was priceless !!