Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 pm 

Just had text from John Paton's (my insurer) to say they'd changed address - to the same address as Cabshield in Dundee.

Paton's has several branch offices, one of which is in Dundee. Cabshield I think only has one office, and it's in Dundee.

So maybe some kind of merger? Can't see any changes of address on their respective websites, so has anyone heard anything?

The text simply said that they'd 'moved offices'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:58 pm 

Maybe the Cabshield fella is now an agent for Patons.

Lots of consolidation happening in all industries.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm 

Cabshield always used to be so cheap we reckoned they never had an office, it was just a phone box in Dundee!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:31 pm 

For years I actually lived about 200 yards from the Cabshield office. So I would wander up the road to renew my insurance.

They had an open plan office, and there were generally around 6-8 youngish females sitting at desks answering the phones, doing paperwork etc. They had a counter at the main door, and one of them would come to the counter to deal with any callers. Like me. They'd maybe take 20 minutes to process everything and give you your paperwork, but despite renewing there maybe 15 times I can't ever recall anyone else calling into the office.

In fact my first ever cover was with an office which was ever closer to where I lived - strange that :-o

It was maybe 150 yards down the street (in the opposite direction from Cabshield), and as I recall it was just one middle-aged male, but I think that was a new start-up broker, and didn't last long.

I dumped Cabshield when they stuck my premium up about 60% after a no-fault accident claim, and I had no other claim for years (just one vandalised window, which would have cost them peanuts after the excess).

So I started going to John Paton's Dundee branch (think they have around six offices), which was slightly different - just two slightly older females sitting behind a couple of desks which were just at the front door of the small shop-like premises. But it was also within walking distance, but maybe took at least twenty minutes to get there.

Went there a few times, and maybe recall one other person being in the 'shop' at the same time.

But looks like I'll have to go back to the old Cabshield office next month, but whether the two Paton's ladies will be there I don't know - maybe Paton's have just closed the Dundee office and transferred their business there to Cabshield.

Or maybe Paton's have taken over Cabshield. The Cabshield office in Dundee certainly bigger than the Paton's branch there, but I'm assuming Paton's is a lot bigger operation overall. So if Paton's took over Cabshield (or merged) then it would certainly be a good idea to close Paton's Dundee office and do their business from the Cabshield office. The Cabshield staff certainly couldn't be accomodated in the small Paton's office.

But no doubt it will all become clear in time - when I go to renew my premium at the very latest.

Unfortunately it's now nearly 20 miles away rather than 200 yards :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:42 pm 

Just found this on the Cabshield website, which explains most of it. Seems the takeover/acquisition happened last year.

Cabshield wrote:
AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO OUR CUSTOMERS

On 1st November 2019, John Paton Insurance Services completed the mutually successful acquisition of Shield Insurance Consultants Limited – more commonly known as ‘Cabshield’.

This agreement provides a unique opportunity for the two organisations to now combine their respective strengths for the mutual benefit of our customers in both Patons Insurance and Cabshield.

Until further notice, the two businesses will continue to trade separately from their respective offices, however, it is likely that the Patons Dundee branch will be relocated into one combined operation at Cabshield’s current home at Law House on Strathmartine Road, Dundee, in early 2020.

For the time being, it’s business as usual for the teams in Cabshield and at all regional offices of Patons Insurance, and we look forward to keeping you updated on progress of this exciting development as we go.”

So it's pretty much as I'd surmised, and no doubt the closure of Paton's Dundee office has been delayed by Covid.

But the acquisition happened last year, so obviously that wasn't related to Covid.

But it certainly looks like they're continuing to trade as separate brands/businesses from the trade's perspective, unless you're one of the few who called into Paton's old Dundee office, and will now have to call in elsewhere [-(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:33 pm 

StuartW wrote:
But it certainly looks like they're continuing to trade as separate brands/businesses from the trade's perspective,
So same company, but I bet if you phone both and give exact same details you'll get two different quotes - and then the more expensive will magically be able to match or undercut the cheaper !! :? :badgrin:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:30 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I never found them to be the cheapest anyway tried them a couple of times but they never came out cheaper than others. Mergers tend not to be good for customers as inevitably it reduces competition

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:45 pm 

I've used the same broker for 25 years, and I'm certain that I could get cheaper insurance elsewhere.

However for the convenience of going into an office and dealing with a face that knows the trade well, I'm quite happy to not save myself £50-100 a year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:47 pm 

I use Stuart Gearty's of Dundee....have done for 10+ years and i find them excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:05 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
I use Stuart Gearty's of Dundee....have done for 10+ years and i find them excellent.

Never heard them mentioned as regards taxi insurance, and didn't realise they did it. And have walked past them often enough - about five minutes walk from where I stayed 20+ years :-o

But, like others, I won't change broker unless something really drastic happens, even if I could save a few bob.

My first taxi policy was with a new broker's office that had opened literally one minute's walk down the hill from where I lived.

It closed after a couple of years, and I then went to Cabshield, which was literally one minute's walk *up* the hill from where I was living :shock:

I had a no-fault claim, and they put my premium up 40% [-X , which is why I changed to Paton's, which was about a mile away, but still easily walkable.

Now Paton's have moved in with Cabshield, but (fortunately) I'm living nearly 20 miles away now, so Shanks's pony isn't an option :-o