Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: busy day
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:40 pm 

And now it will all go quiet for the school holidays!!!

Six weeks of empty roads (unless you live in Brighton of course) and nowhere to go on them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It was a frustrating day today with the market looking packed with people but demand for our services very low !

We have either become a luxury no one can afford or a service people are afraid to use :)

that said I broke the £60 mark for the first time in 10 weeks :shock:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 pm 

Nothing was going right for me today until I grabbed a £55 job.

Nice fella as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:13 pm 

Went to Anstruther last night (a small fishing village south of St Andrews, which is very touristy in the summer) for some fish and chips, and wondered if they'd even be open due to lack of demand. But huge queues at all three chip shops down beside the harbour, even at 7.30pm :shock:

Of course, social distancing partly responsible for the queues, but even at 8pm still had to wait half an hour in the queue for takeaway.

Luckily I wasn't the one queuing, and for the first time in twenty years found a use for the three parking spaces beside the harbour marked 'taxi'.

Yes, I know I wasn't working, and I'm normally the one complaining about the public parking on taxi ranks, but I've never actually worked out the purpose of these spaces, and have never actually seen a taxi using them as a rank #-o

Maybe they're just there so drivers can go and queue for fish and chips :idea:

St Andrews similar in some ways, and passed the ice cream shop the other night where there are always queues on summer evenings, and still a good queue at about 9pm :-o

But still very little in the way of taxi business, so I'm guessing people staying away aren't travelling very far, and they're not going very far once they get there.

'Staycations', I think they're called - "a holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions" :?

Some pubs and restaurants here opened this week, but by no means all of them, and big hotels still closed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 pm 

Quote:
Went to Anstruther last night (a small fishing village south of St Andrews, which is very touristy in the summer)

I read an article on Wikipedia the other month about the railways in the area and it described the campaign (1850's) to get the two most prominent TOWNS in fife linked by rail. Interesting you describe it as a village which I think it probably is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:52 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:
Went to Anstruther last night (a small fishing village south of St Andrews, which is very touristy in the summer)

I read an article on Wikipedia the other month about the railways in the area and it described the campaign (1850's) to get the two most prominent TOWNS in fife linked by rail. Interesting you describe it as a village which I think it probably is.

Never heard anyone local refer to Anstruther as a town, but according to Wikipedia its population is 3,500 :-o

I'd have guessed half that. But 3,500 people would put it into most definitions of a town, so I'm not sure.

I'd call it a 'large village', but if I had to call it a 'town' I'd say it's a very small one [-(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:52 pm 

Busiest day by far today since lock-down.

Defo more non locals in the city.

Let's hope this continues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 pm 

Had more zimmers and more guide dogs in the car in the last four days than I did in the previous 4 months.

Looks like a few more punters are venturing out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 pm 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Never heard anyone local refer to Anstruther as a town, but according to Wikipedia its population is 3,500 :-o

I'd have guessed half that. But 3,500 people would put it into most definitions of a town, so I'm not sure.

I'd call it a 'large village', but if I had to call it a 'town' I'd say it's a very small one [-(

Suspect that the 3,500 figure actually includes Cellardyke, which I always regard as a kind of suburb of Anstruther, but which is regarded as a village in its own right.

(One local St Andrews taxi annoyance is when people say they're going to Anstruther, but actually end up at the far end of Cellardyke :roll: )

In which regard I always remember back in 2006 when Cellardyke hit the world headlines when a dead swan was found there infected with avian flu (H5N1 virus). Which was feared at that time might cause a global pandemic, but apparently transmission between birds and humans was difficult.

But the Cellardyke swan back then could have turned out to have been a bit like the Wuhan bat in 2020, but fortunately it never quite happened.

But I'll always remember that a lot of people back then would have been scratching their heads wondering where Cellardyke was, but if the media had stated Anstruther then a lot more people would have been aware of where it was.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4882070.stm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:19 pm 

Quote:
But the Cellardyke swan back then could have turned out to have been a bit like the Wuhan bat in 2020, but fortunately it never quite happened.

the suggestion was that if it had originated in wuhan it was most likely from a pangolin as they carry covid virus ! BUT the evidence is out there that it was about in both the US and Europe much earlier so is more likely to be a new strain of winter flu !

But then the conspiracy theorists say that covid 19 has actually been patented :shock:

Not sure why you would do that unless you invented it in a lab so who knows

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:09 am 

Three jobs Friday. £6, £80, £55. The roads to Skegness, and the town itself were rammed. Like all this covid 19 had never happened. Fully aware that two swallows don’t make a summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:37 pm 

Nothing special today even with rubbish weather.

However there is always tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm 

This week so far has been a bit grim.

Is that universal or just a south coast thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:

We have had a good week so far. (relatively)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:

its universal
at the moment im averaging 3 hires per day

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next