Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:51 pm 

Can a hackney carriage driver and vehicle be on the uber system in England or does it have to be private hire?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:54 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Uber set their rates not go with the meter tariff so unless their app is altered there could be an overcharging situation when the surge comes into play.

Otherwise as long as their rates are below the metered rate I don't see why not.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:16 am 

edders23 wrote:
Uber set their rates not go with the meter tariff so unless their app is altered there could be an overcharging situation when the surge comes into play.

Otherwise as long as their rates are below the metered rate I don't see why not.

Uber taking a 25% cut is my why not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:50 am 

grandad wrote:
Can a hackney carriage driver and vehicle be on the uber system in England or does it have to be private hire?

No,not in my neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:24 pm 

grandad wrote:

I'm sure someone else on here knows all the ins and outs 8-[ but wasn't Uber using Lewes-plated HCs to get round the stringent regime in Brighton and Hove (tough HC/PH knowledge, CCTV etc)?

Of course, in that scenario surge-pricing etc not really a factor, because since the Lewes HCs working out-of-area, they weren't constrained by the metered fares.

So although Uber generally specify PHVs, in principle I doubt if they've any objection to using HCs - PHVs are normally just the more obvious and convenient option.

But another advantage in using HCs is that there's no need for an operator's licence to take bookings :-o

And once this Autocab thing gets going, I'm sure there will be lots of HCs doing bookings made on the Uber app [-(

Don't know how the surge-pricing thing would work in that scenario if it's an in-area job, but of course how Uber's pricing will tie-in with the Autocab operators isn't clear at this stage anyway.

(Didn't you ask a similar question a few months ago? Had it in mind that it was a Rushcliffe-plated HC you were asking about, but using the search function suggests that was a PHV.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:55 pm 

StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

I'm sure someone else on here knows all the ins and outs 8-[ but wasn't Uber using Lewes-plated HCs to get round the stringent regime in Brighton and Hove (tough HC/PH knowledge, CCTV etc)?

Of course, in that scenario surge-pricing etc not really a factor, because since the Lewes HCs working out-of-area, they weren't constrained by the metered fares.

So although Uber generally specify PHVs, in principle I doubt if they've any objection to using HCs - PHVs are normally just the more obvious and convenient option.

But another advantage in using HCs is that there's no need for an operator's licence to take bookings :-o

And once this Autocab thing gets going, I'm sure there will be lots of HCs doing bookings made on the Uber app [-(

Don't know how the surge-pricing thing would work in that scenario if it's an in-area job, but of course how Uber's pricing will tie-in with the Autocab operators isn't clear at this stage anyway.

(Didn't you ask a similar question a few months ago? Had it in mind that it was a Rushcliffe-plated HC you were asking about, but using the search function suggests that was a PHV.)

The by-laws are applicable where ever the hackney carriage is working,most Authorities adopted the home office model by-laws which includes for every hiring the meter must be engaged.
It is upto the trade to ensure that enforcement is seen to be adequate regarding this and licensing authorities have to enforce the law.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:35 pm 

heathcote wrote:
The by-laws are applicable where ever the hackney carriage is working,most Authorities adopted the home office model by-laws which includes for every hiring the meter must be engaged.

It is upto the trade to ensure that enforcement is seen to be adequate regarding this and licensing authorities have to enforce the law.

An HC plated by local authority A has to engage the meter for a trip wholly within local authority B?

You sure about that? :-k

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:01 pm 

grandad wrote:

Hackneys can be on Uber, and many are.

I suspect the number of hackneys getting work from Uber will increase dramatically when Autocab start passing Uber work on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:03 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Uber, where they use local hackneys, have a local taxis button, and if the customer presses that option the rate they are charged will follow the local tariff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:04 pm 

Quote:

They have recently stopped passing work to Lewes hackneys, not sure why, but they still pass work to hackneys licensed by Mid Sussex, Wealden and Rother.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm 

Quote:
The by-laws are applicable where ever the hackney carriage is working

I'm not sure that's the case.

Councils can only issue bylaws that apply within their licensing authority.

I wish what you said was correct.