Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: what?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:02 pm 

i bought a oil filter off Skoda, £12, ive just bought 3 more at £4 each inc postage off another dealer, all genuine and a fuel filter half price...

whats going on?

Post subject: Re: what?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
i bought a oil filter off Skoda, £12, ive just bought 3 more at £4 each inc postage off another dealer, all genuine and a fuel filter half price...

whats going on?

They saw you coming.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:56 am 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

whats going on?

They saw you coming.

same cost at Skoda as last year..£12

its the Audi dealers prices im stunned by

with Castrol edge and a vacuum pump a service is now £30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:44 pm 

So where are you buying these £4 oil filters from? Presumably my 1.6 VW uses the same or very similar filter.

And what vacuum pump are you using?

I got the one below. Can't remember precisely why now, but a bit cheaper than the market leaders Pela and Seeley (although it seems a bit dearer now), and the really cheap ones might have turned out to be a false economy, but there's such a huge range on Amazon it's difficult to choose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Only used it once (just before lockdown), and I didn't change the filter - it was just a practice run really, and I didn't have the right socket for the filter at that time :?

But seemed to work OK, but I'm a bit hesitant about changing the filter, since I haven't done one since the days when you could just screw them on an off by hand, and only problem might be that they'd be too stiff and need a filter wrench :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm 

StuartW wrote:
So where are you buying these £4 oil filters from? Presumably my 1.6 VW uses the same or very similar filter.

And what vacuum pump are you using?

Don't tell me - turns out there was a zero missing and the filters were really £40 a pop :badgrin:

Anyway, finally did mine today, and reasonably straightforward. Filter not particularly accessible, and there's a vacuum valve thingymajig that has to be unscrewed and moved out of the way to gain access, but apart from that not particularly difficult.

Vacuum pump seems to work quite well, although one of the connectors on the extension tube has gotten stuck inside the connector on the main tube, but I assume it's just a case of shoving it back in when I use it next time, unless I'm using one of the other diameter pipes, which I won't be unless I'm going to be using it on another motor with a different diameter dipstick :-s

Not sure the pump will extract quite as much oil as draining the sump would, but new oil seems clean enough, and certainly a lot clearer than any time I've got it back from VW, when oil is quite dark from the off, even after a full oil and filter change :roll:

But vacuum pump certainly a good investment assuming it works OK. Took almost an hour for the whole job, but could do it in half an hour if I'd set the pump off and did the filter etc while the pump was draining - takes about 20 minutes to extract the whole lot, and requires a few pushes on the handle every few minutes or so as it runs out of puff. But thought I'd take it slowly since it was my first attempt at doing the filter as well as extracting the oil.

But very little mess if you're careful, and just spilt a wee bit of oil from the filter when taking it out, but that was really due to my carelessness :oops:

But a lot easier and cleaner than getting under the car, removing undertray, removing sump plug etc =D>

Here's hoping I haven't done anything wrong, and no leaks from filter housing etc, but oil certainly isn't pi$hing out anywhere [-o<

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 pm 

Incidentally, for anyone who hasn't removed the oil filter on one of these engines, this video is quite good, and procedure should be same on lots of VAG 1.6 and 2.0 TDIs - not sure when they started/stopped using these engines, but mines is 2014 model.

Lots of videos on YouTube, but this guy's commentary is quite good, and because his English is good I can understand what he's saying without replaying it umpteen times =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFU208U ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:29 pm 

StuartW wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-A ... SwaeRc2VdE