Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:38 pm 

heathcote wrote:
Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Not sure what sort of trade there will be after this already we have had two local hotels go into liquidation one of which did a lot of weddings and the other was run by another hotel which appears to still be in business but time will tell

Already several shops have announced they will not reopen and about a third of the shops are now empty shells with all stock and some fittings gone so there won't be much to draw shoppers in not that they were frequenting the town centre so much these days so I suspect that once things start to return to normal there won't be enough to support all of the trade

It will be, it has been, grim in the short term, but I think in time it will get back to some resemblance of what we had.

Hotels that go bust will be brought back, possibly by the same people. Shops have struggled with online for a few years now, and I suspect many shops will not come back, but their trade will operate out of their garage online.

It will get better, not fast, but it will get better.

WELL it cannot get any worse.

O yes it can

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:10 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
MR T wrote:
heathcote wrote:

WELL it cannot get any worse.

O yes it can

Basically our bread and butter The pensioners have got used to family and volunteers doing it for them.

It will never get back to what it was the trade needs to shrink 50 to 60 per cent and I have to say the longer it is going on the less trade there seems to be nobody has any money and those that do aren't spending it

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm 

I think trade is increasing since the height of the lock-down.

However it isn't increasing enough to cater for the drivers that are coming back to the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 pm 

I know the cash work has taken a big hit but the corporate side has been virtually wiped out.

Normally our company would do 40 airport transfers a day. Looking at my booking screen I have no bookings at all over the next three days and only 1 in the next seven.

According to customers nothing will improve before October and then it won't be a fifth of what it was. Maybe next January we might be back to 30-40%.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:52 pm 

In respect of airport work the firm I work with does 100s a week this time of year, mainly foreign language students.

That has gone down to zero.

My fear though isn't that they wont return, or that the cash work wont return, it's that 100s of drivers will return before they do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:47 pm 

Definitely seeing a lot more punters out and about over the last few weeks.

Many haven't been out since the middle of March.

Problem is that many more drivers are coming out of covid hibernation as well. :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:17 pm 

After a good September, for me at least, October has started rubbish.

Seems to be back to the June/July situation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:13 am 

Sussex wrote:
After a good September, for me at least, October has started rubbish.

Seems to be back to the June/July situation.

Last week from Monday to Friday we were running at a par with the week before lockdown. A mediocre Saturday left us at 89% of the pre lockdown level.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
we are trading at about a third of pre lock down levels at the moment

for instance today we had only 4 cars out but I was the top earner at just over £60 and the others didn't make £30 and none of the other firms seemed to be moving much either.

I am hoping tomorrow might be better but the town is pretty dead at the moment both days and nights

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:43 pm 

Couldn't get any worse for the family of a local driver who killed himself over the weekend. :sad: :sad: :sad:

RIP Dan. :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm 

42 year old proprietor/driver with a young family, dies of covid from Sunderland within the last 14 days reportedly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:34 pm 

When is it all going to end, TAXIS are the forgotten trade in this pandemic, no financial support for a lot of proprietors, Xmas and New Year written off, January and February we all should do what Sussex does go on holiday, for those who thought it could not get any worse IT IS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:27 pm 

heathcote wrote:
When is it all going to end, TAXIS are the forgotten trade in this pandemic, no financial support for a lot of proprietors, Xmas and New Year written off, January and February we all should do what Sussex does go on holiday, for those who thought it could not get any worse IT IS.

Sadly I've not been away once in 2020, and can't see me going outside the Uk until at least August 2021 at the earliest.

That aside the early months of 2021 are going to be grim. Let's hope we start getting the millions vaccinated our trade needs to get back to some kind of normality.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 am 

The first post of this thread, all those months ago, was a highly doom-mongering post, and most of it came to be. :sad:

However I think next year (2021) will be much much better, once those that need the vaccine (anyone with an iota of sense) receives one.

A lot of the finance guys say that billions are being saved by those who have kept their jobs, as they have had nothing to spend their money on.

So lets hope soon, likely to be around Easter time, those people spend spend spend and get the economy and our trade back into shape.

That alongside the fact that many would have left the trade for good, and no-one will be joining up for a while, could lead those of us that have stuck it out to kop a few quid. [-o<

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
The first post of this thread, all those months ago, was a highly doom-mongering post, and most of it came to be. :sad:

However I think next year (2021) will be much much better, once those that need the vaccine (anyone with an iota of sense) receives one.

A lot of the finance guys say that billions are being saved by those who have kept their jobs, as they have had nothing to spend their money on.

So lets hope soon, likely to be around Easter time, those people spend spend spend and get the economy and our trade back into shape.

That alongside the fact that many would have left the trade for good, and no-one will be joining up for a while, could lead those of us that have stuck it out to kop a few quid. [-o<

Aye....My glass is half full as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next