Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dpf issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:10 pm 

Thinking of getting Octavia 85k on it any info on cost to fit & buy dpf before I bye car cheers

Post subject: Re: Dpf issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:59 pm 

Stelee wrote:
Thinking of getting Octavia 85k on it any info on cost to fit & buy dpf before I bye car cheers

On ebay you can get them for between £200 and £400.

TBH I wouldn't worry about them. Just ensure you do some motor way mileage.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:20 pm 

Stelee wrote:

Merc E class, then a Superb, now an octavia, are you running out of money ? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 pm 

Just trying to keep options open my friend might get a Fiat 500 just do solo runs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 am 

Stelee wrote:
Just trying to keep options open my friend might get a Fiat 500 just do solo runs

No, you need a tuk tuk for that! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:03 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Stelee wrote:

TBH I wouldn't worry about them. Just ensure you do some motor way mileage.

I wouldn't obsess about motorway mileage either. As I said the other day, suspect the active regeneration process more important than passive regeneraration, so doesn't really require a motorway.

So as long as you drive a few miles on open roads once engine properly warmed up then that should be adequate to complete the active regeneration. I'd guess my VW takes about ten minutes once it's started (although it won't start the process from stone cold).

I wouldn't worry about slowing down for roundabouts etc either, or even a minute or two at traffic lights. Unless you're idling excessively then that shouldn't interrupt active regeneration. But if you're idling for an extended period, or you kill the engine, then obviously that will stop active regeneration.

But if you're just driving a mile or two in town all the time, then engine cooling a bit, active regeneration will possibly never get started, or will be interrupted before it's properly completed.

Of course, motorway/dual carriageway/uninterrupted A-road driving ideal, but if your DPF soot level isn't at the specified level during your run then it won't *actively* regenerate anyway. And impossible to tell when soot level is at the relevant level (think it's 45% or similar) when active regeneration starts, but I suspect it's every 100-200 miles or so.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 am 

Thanks for your input Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am 

the easier i drive (for MPG) the more regens i get (high tickover, S/S doesnt work, fans run after stopping)

yet i only use shel/BP or Esso fuel, VAG filters and Castrol Edge or VW Quantom oil..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:49 am 

I wouldnt worry,m somethings got to break sooner or later

EGR
DPF
DMF

take your pick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:12 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
the easier i drive (for MPG) the more regens i get (high tickover, S/S doesnt work, fans run after stopping).

Not sure I've noticed any link between active regeneration frequency and how easy I drive, but of course it will often do it without me being aware, so not easy to keep proper track of it.

There was a while the winter before last when it seemed to be doing it more often, and I was thinking it was maybe on the verge of clogging up with unburnable ash, but another thing that's often confusing is that in the cold weather my VW often idles slighly higher than normal, and at the same idle speed as during active regeneration, so sometimes difficult to tell which is which. (Not sure why that is, precisesly, but seems to happen when outside temperature about 4c or lower - maybe something to do with the extra load on the battery in winter or similar.)

I've been using DPF cleaner every few tanks or so since then, so don't know if that's improved it, or whether that's a placebo - if light comes on, put it in tank, go on a long drive and light will go out, says the Reddex spiel - but chances are it might have went out without the cleaner anyway :roll:

As for stop-start not working during active regen, yes, that's apparently a telltale sign, but never really noticed it myself, if only because my stopstart has only worked once in a blue moon for a couple of years now.

Don't know why that is, but suspect it's because the battery is now six years old and isn't in tiptop condition - one of the reasons stopstart won't work is if the battery is below a certain charge level.

Battery seems fine, though, in terms of normal use, so I suspect the stopstart function is maybe a bit oversensitive in that regard. Or maybe my stopstart not working is nothing to do with the battery :roll:

Not that I'm really worried about the stopstart though, because I always hated it, and used to disable it at juctions etc (problem was that everytime the car was started it would have to be re-disabled :? )

Only time I ever found it useful was as a lazy way of moving up the taxi rank =D>

But with it not working now, I'm more inclined to idle, hence the dpf getting clogged up [-o<

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 pm 

Quote:
Don't know why that is, but suspect it's because the battery is now six years old and isn't in tiptop condition - one of the reasons stopstart won't work is if the battery is below a certain charge level.

100% certain of that.

Should you get a new battery it will work perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

100% certain of that.

Should you get a new battery it will work perfectly.

A good reason *not* to get a new one, then [-(

Not to mention the £400 price tag :shock:

(Sure you can get them cheaper than that, but because it's stopstart it's a super-duper heavy duty battery. But most of the batteries a search on the EuroCarParts website throws up are £400+. Dearest is Bosch at £454.99 [-X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:28 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
I wouldnt worry,m somethings got to break sooner or later

EGR
DPF
DMF

take your pick

DMF's are bloody awful things, so bad that PSA have gone back to solid flywheels on a lot of their vehicls.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
DMF's are bloody awful things, so bad that PSA have gone back to solid flywheels on a lot of their vehicls.

I thought the DMFs had improved in more modern vehicles, so just like the DPFs

Got about 150,000 miles out of mine on my 2006 Passat, so was hoping the one in my current 2014 Passat would last as long as I have the car. I'd guess mileage on current motor will be less than 200,000 when it's no longer useable as a taxi.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am 

StuartW wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

I thought the DMFs had improved in more modern vehicles, so just like the DPFs

Got about 150,000 miles out of mine on my 2006 Passat, so was hoping the one in my current 2014 Passat would last as long as I have the car. I'd guess mileage on current motor will be less than 200,000 when it's no longer useable as a taxi.

Don't know about the later VAG DMF reliability but on a new 55 plate skoda octavia i once had I had two DMFs fitted within 55,000 miles, the first was at only 3,000 miles and the Vibration during gear change acceleration was frightening, I got rid of that car when it started doing the same at just under a 100,000 miles.

On a 2007 Citroen Dispatch I had I went through 3 DMF and clutch changes within a 125,000 miles...my newer 2014 dispatch with SMF has nearly 80,000 miles with no issues to date and it feels far better through gear changes as well, none of the judder the older DMF model had.