Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:07 pm 

I have received the following message from a colleague. Before I go back and tell him it's based on individual circumstances and every case will be different, does anyone have any other or contrary advice to him please?

Hi dude I need to dig into your knowledge can you remember which act give us the right to drop off and pick up where the customer wants as long as it’s safe to do so reason is the new traffic maid are going to start hitting drivers with tickets if they are dropping off around Mcdonalds and museum and picking up we know we can’t wait.any ideas again sorry to disturb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:42 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
[i]Hi dude I need to dig into your knowledge can you remember which act give us the right to drop off and pick up where the customer wants as long as it’s safe to do

I think the case you refer to is the Makda judgement.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15938

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:04 pm 

Thanks Sussex.

By the way, we were over your way at Tates a couple of times this week. SWMBO has bought a Hybrid Hyundai Ioniq.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:29 am 

Sussex wrote:
cabbyman wrote:
[i]Hi dude I need to dig into your knowledge can you remember which act give us the right to drop off and pick up where the customer wants as long as it’s safe to do

We have had an email from Leicester City Council stating that they have introduced some red routes with double red lines and that taxis and private hire can no longer stop on these routes. Do you think i should send them a copy of this judgement?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
cabbyman wrote:

We have had an email from Leicester City Council stating that they have introduced some red routes with double red lines and that taxis and private hire can no longer stop on these routes. Do you think i should send them a copy of this judgement?

Licenced hackney carriages can stop on a double red line to pick up or set down passengers ‘without delay’ but cannot stop in any bus stop marked with a broad solid red line such as that outside the railway station. The council spokesman said: ”The planned designation of part of London Road as a red route will complete safety provision.

“This will be marked with double red lines, helping to reinforce the restrictions outside the railway station as well as giving further priority to buses along this busy route.

“We aim to have the order in place on an experimental basis by early summer.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:58 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
great so the tiny drop off area within the portico is going to be even more crowded :sad:

I am glad we hardly get any to Leicester railway station

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:45 pm 

Quote:

Oh yes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:48 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
I have received the following message from a colleague. Before I go back and tell him it's based on individual circumstances and every case will be different, does anyone have any other or contrary advice to him please?

Hi dude I need to dig into your knowledge can you remember which act give us the right to drop off and pick up where the customer wants as long as it’s safe to do so reason is the new traffic maid are going to start hitting drivers with tickets if they are dropping off around Mcdonalds and museum and picking up we know we can’t wait.any ideas again sorry to disturb

I would also request a meeting with the council, including the person who is managing the council's side, as it best to deal with issues before the contract starts, rather than afterwards when drivers have piles of tickets they need to appeal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm 

Quote:
Licenced hackney carriages can stop on a double red line to pick up or set down passengers ‘without delay’ but cannot stop in any bus stop marked with a broad solid red line such as that outside the railway station.

It's worth pointing out that the vehicle used in the Makda judgement was a London licensed PH.