Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:02 pm 

BBC Radio Humberside host Burnsy gains support in taxi driver face mask row

The Radio Humberside presenter was shocked when a taxi driver revealed why he wouldn't wear a mask

A Hull MP has waded into a spat between popular radio presenter David Burns and one of the city's taxi firms over the wearing of masks behind the wheel.

David Burns took to social media last weekend to criticise a Hull firm, after one of their drivers collected him without wearing a mask - and his strength of feeling has now been supported by Hull North MP Diana Johnson.

BBC Radio Humberside favourite Burnsy was shocked by the response he was given by his private hire driver after opting to challenge him on why he wasn't wearing a mask while ferrying him across the city.

"I don't wear a mask because I don't believe in coronavirus," the morning show presenter claimed he was told.

He shared his conversation on Twitter before deciding to delete his post for fear of giving all cabbies a bad name.

However, the saga has rumbled on.

Humm MP Johnson has weighed in on the issue, declaring that she would "expect" a mask to be worn by taxi drivers and saying that she will challenge the Government on the issue.

"This seems a bit odd," she said.

"Considering you are in a confined space I would expect a mask to be worn. I am going to ask the Transport Secretary about the logic behind this decision."

Burnsy has also been in discussion with Hull City Council about the rules but claims he was told rules do not state that drivers mist wear a mask as a taxi is not classified as public transport.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:56 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
perhaps the right honourable lady should actually read government advice before of criticising :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 pm 

edders23 wrote:
perhaps the right honourable lady should actually read government advice before of criticising :wink:

Sadly typical of the vast majority of elected officials that absolutely no idea about our trade.