Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mask
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:28 pm 

I drive a ford procab. Customers sit 2 meters away keeping social distancing rules and also behind a fully fitted screen.
Will i need to wear a mask??

Post subject: Re: Mask
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 pm 

perry wrote:
I drive a ford procab. Customers sit 2 meters away keeping social distancing rules and also behind a fully fitted screen.

EVERYONE should be wearing masks, a simple cheap 1st line of defence

BTW, a mask doesnt protect YOU, it protects others

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:43 pm 

perry wrote:

Suspect rules broadly similar to here in Scotland, where face coverings compulsory since June:

StuartW wrote:
For what it's worth, the regulations don't seem to actually mention taxis and private hire vehicles. They relate to using a 'passenger transport service' (and 'passenger transport services premises')

A 'passenger transport service' is defined as 'a service provided for the carriage of passengers by road, railway, tramway, air or sea'.

Interestingly, the face covering requirement doesn't apply to a 'school transport service', so that presumably means both driver and pupils exempt during a school run.

The screen exemption is as follows: '...a person providing a passenger transport service, or an employee of that person, where there is a partition between the person or employee and members of the public'.

So what would amount to a 'partition' is anyone's guess - a partition in a TX, presumably OK, but some kind of retro-fitted screen in a PHV? Who knows, and I suspect they wouldn't know themselves if asked. Suspect it would depend on what coverage the screen gives in %age terms, and how solid it is - doubt if the flimsy plastic screens would be adequate. But if in doubt, just use a face covering anyway.

Don't know if 'partition' has ever been clarified, but I've just stopped looking too closely at all these detailed rules and micromanagement ](*,) =;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 pm 

But I'd guess that if it's a proper, built-in, purpose-built screen then you'll be OK, as opposed to something retro-fitted, or whatever.

But, of course, just like at the council level, national governments have to be seen to be doing things slightly different, if only to justify their own existence.

Or, in the case of Nicola Sturgeon, so that Scotland looks different, and superior. The 'narcissism of small differences', it's called [-(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 pm 

I just read that Rochdale government guidelines say you have to wear a mask if its not possible to maintain social distancing. Which you can in purpose built cab . .But thats not my council

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:57 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I have been wearing one when passengers in the taxi all the way through. It helps to reassure passengers and make them feel more comfortable getting in. I have seen passengers refusing to get in taxis where the driver not wearing one. They are uncomfortable but a necessary evil.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:52 am 

edders23 wrote:
I have been wearing one when passengers in the taxi all the way through. It helps to reassure passengers and make them feel more comfortable getting in. I have seen passengers refusing to get in taxis where the driver not wearing one. They are uncomfortable but a necessary evil.

This is exactly the same here. As a company we have worn masks since we started back in July and we do get positive comments about it. I have lost count of the number of passengers who have walked up to the car and seen me in my mask and then remembered to put their own mask on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:21 am 

I do understand that if your driving a saloon then a mask should be worn. My driver always wear one but only drives our peugeot partner. But reading belong the lines its not a must in a purpose built cab with a screen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 pm 

perry wrote:

The guidance is yes, the law is no.